Make a donation

Author Topic: Thought I'd grown up!? Another GT TDi  (Read 3003 times)

Offline mikegemmill

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Thought I'd grown up!? Another GT TDi
« on: May 03, 2011, 03:46:45 pm »
Thought I should start a topic to say hi and introduce myself briefly... I'm not a big forum user to be honest as my weeks are non stop with my 2 jobs and also training in the gym. If anyones local and wants to sort convoys to shows or local meets then add me up on facebook (Mike Gemmill).

I've always been into my cars previously having had a 106 rallye, a 206 with ecosse bits that I always regretted selling, a Clio 182 when they were new on the scene, a Type R that I kept immaculate until someone wrote it off for me and finally a new shape BMW 320d that I started to tweek but got rid when the offer of my friends Golf came up. My dad now has my BMW (and my numberplate grrr) and ever since I've been spending on the mk5. I tried to grow up and stop modding... but failed.

Its a 06 mk5 tdi GT that my friend owned and the reason I got it is because the outside is pretty much immaculate for its age. With a bit of detailing love in the summer I reckon it can be a right goodun. The only thing that lets it down is the interior but my plan was always to change that anyway.

I've done a bit so far...

This is the day I got it on the old wheels (which I need to sell if anyones interested - unkerbed 18s)

- HIDs (yes I know these are hated but its a good kit and most people wouldn't know any different). They're also a massive improvement on the originals and I have no plans to faff about with xenon conversions like on my previous cars.
- Currently lowered on -30/35 Eibach springs but its hopefully going into Awesome in April to get the AP coilover kit. I'll wind it down the full way (i think its goes 80mm on the GT) which I know isn't a crazy drop but use the car for work daily and I cant justify going lower with my job. Air ride doesn't interest me on a car this old.
- GTi front splitter, sideskirts and rear bumper fitted.
- Full powerflow system with manifold & decat along with remap. Couldn't believe the difference this made :D
- 18" scirocco remakes on stretched falkens. Dodging potholes is my new hobby! They're a marmite thing I know, I love them though.
- I've had the windows tinted but need the rear doing again as he ballsed it up. I'm scared to peal it off though incase it pulls the heater elements off?
- GTi steering wheel and gearknob.
- Debadged rear.
- Mirrors sprayed gloss black.
- Dewipered.
- 3M wrapped GTi front end with purpel pin stripe, need to fit this along with side/middle grilles asap.

To do:
- Stack of rear window stickers waiting to go on when its low.
- GTi spoiler currently in the bodyshop being done.
- Coilvers asap as said.
- Needs new rear pads.
- 3m carbon di-noc roof rap. I imagine this isn't very popular on here but its to showcase my friends company. This will be done in the next month.
- The front end was sprayed black like a GTi but since then I've bought the full GTi front end (upper grille to be 3m di-noc wrapped, matt black badge from America, and the 3 lower grilles). Will fit all this once the cars sitting lower. The red pinstripe will be changed to suit my planned colour scheme. I originally bought the badgeless grille but changed my mind on it.
- Colourcode calipers.

After I've sorted all that I'm after a full r32 interior - a tough/expensive find I know. I'm also after one of the touchscreen headunits.

A quick pic taken on my phone outside work...

Can't wait to get it LOW :laugh:

Offline mikegemmill

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Thought I'd grown up!? Another GT TDi
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:48:01 pm »
Finally got my boot badge back on...

And worked on this over the weekend, hopefully get it fitted next weekend along with the boot spoiler.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:13:39 pm »
good to see another sooty owner on here--liking the mods so far :happy2:

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 07:08:04 pm »
Diesel power  :evilgrin: :signLOL:
Loving that gti grill, get some more pics up  :happy2:

Offline mikegemmill

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:20:00 am »
Cheers buddy.

This weekend I have mostly been...

(Colour looks funny here but its only the light)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 12:30:51 pm »
that looks stunning :happy2:

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 01:26:57 pm »
Very nice

Offline mikegemmill

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 01:31:39 pm »
Thanks guys :happy2:

Offline MR02LOW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 14
    • Ironkilla Gym Apparel
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9122.0.html
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 02:08:09 pm »
very nice Mike  :happy2:

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 02:40:11 pm »
Looking good,  What other plans you got?

Though I am a little sad to see that I am no longer the only person with the Snowflake alloys on a silver car.
(guess i'll have to get me some more wheels then! :signLOL:)

Offline mikegemmill

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 02:50:43 pm »
Haha I'm already planning my wheels for 2012... these are just a make-do until I've got the rest of the car sorted.

Next on my list is to figure out what spacers I need (wheels are 8.5 et45) then I can get my APs ordered too. Air would be nice but beyond my budget.

When the weathers better I need to touch up 1 or 2 chips, bond on my boot spoiler and repaint the calipers. I've also bought some new PAGID discs/pads to be done asap. Also need to do a full clay and detail before the shows.

After that I just want a full recaro r32 interior, RSN 510 and I'll be happy!