Make a donation

Author Topic: Gettin an older GTI vs a newer one...  (Read 3472 times)

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Gettin an older GTI vs a newer one...
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:44:12 pm »
Hey folks, first post go easy ;)

I've always gone with the 'every car I buy should be newer than the last' opinion, but unfortunately it has come to an abrupt end when looking at a GTI...  :grin:

Long story short, i've owned 5 Seat Ibiza Cupra's and they have been great cars, but I fancy something comfortable, with the power when I need it, and also holds good value when coming to sell.

Anyway, I was looking for a 2007+ GTI with miles around 20-25k but realised it's just out of my budget, sometimes it's hard to accept when you see people driving round in new Audi S3's etc and think "how do they afford that, and a house etc!" They go for around 12,500-14k for that sort of spec but it would mean about a £5k loan which, whilst I can afford the payments, I just don't think it's right to commit to something like that just now, at my age (29) I need to be looking at more pressing matters!

Anyway... More importantly I have a little baby due next month and the Ibiza's ability to rattle every bone in your body on a normal drive due to the overly hard suspension will not go down to well with him I doubt! So, yes im using the baby as an excuse :D

So, been looking at 2005 aged GTI's I can pick these up for a LOT less, and mileage not high (35k ish) and DSG being a preference.

Asking the question, is it REALLY worth paying £4,800k vs say, £1000 for essentially the same car but 2 years newer? Obviously it feels bad to go back to a 2005 car, when my current car is 2007, but that's kind of like me saying im buying a Porsche thats a 2001 and saying it's a bad thing... The GTI is a better car than the Cupra, even though they are great cars - the Mk4 Golf GTi 1.8T with Recaros was actually more comfortable than the Mk3 and Mk4 Ibiza Cupra's.
After all, if I wanted newer, and cheap, I could always get a Kia   :signLOL:

Apart from the obvious signs to look for the engines are the same from the start all the way to 2008? So reading through the posts on here, maybe going for that route is better, plus it will be quicker to pay off = more likely to afford mods in future!

I will factor in a cam belt change, and obviously the DSG needs a service @ 40k so will factor that in, but other than that, does anyone think im crazy if I go for the older car and that I should just save up an extra 3,800(+ the 1k ish the older one would cost)? for 10,000 miles and 2 years newer, £4k is a heck of a difference.

Are the alarms/immobilisers any better on later models? I don't live in a ghetto, but a few Golf GTI's are stolen/recovered and it makes me a bit paranoid in case they are easy-bait for car theives / general scum?

Persuade me...!

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Gettin an older GTI vs a newer one...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 02:50:29 pm »
See mine in the classifieds - it needs nothing for a long, long time.

If not, then I always say get the right car, not the cheapest. Saves money in the long run.
Sideways yo!

Nasir

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 03:07:55 pm »
The engine changed from the AXX to the BWA in 2006, an early 2006 is the ideal car as it has the BWA engine but a few little extras that got cut on the newer models (blue glass etc).

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 03:15:23 pm »
Hi Tony - you have a great looking car mate! But thats the same price I was struggling to justify loaning £4800+ to buy. Im also approaching new Leon FR territory at that price (add a couple of grand - but it would be a 2010 brand new car)

By the way... Yours is worth every penny! Im just talking from my own financial perspective with regards to buying a slightly older one.

Nasir > If it's anything like the 1.8T's they changed all sorts of things but the earlier versions made more power for some reason when remapped - is there any standout issues with the AXX vs a BWA? Was reading about the extras too... Typical, you would have thought newer cars got more, but it's less lol - My friends 1999 MK3 cupra had a power socket in boot and my old one I had years ago was a 2001, yet had neither - Either Pedro forgot at the factory in Spain, or cost cutting of the tightest nature :p

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 03:16:57 pm »
I've always said that it isn't miles that kills cars, its age. So I'd say in general go as new as you can afford, bearing in mind the warranty balance available to you on a newer car, and your ability to extend that warranty if you wanted. It's funny but when the wee ones come along it makes you look at cars in a different way. Until november last year I had a WRX STi Type UK Prodrive Impreza. Awesome but not a baby carrier; too harsh & hard. Good look in your search.

As far as things to look out for, here's my favorite reads

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/golf-v-2004/?section=bad

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/usedcartests/242269/buyers_guide_vw_golf_gti_mkv.html

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/golf-gti-used-car-buying-guide/introduction/238645

And finally, you're a long time dead, live life while you're here. :happy2:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 04:07:53 pm »
The engine changed from the AXX to the BWA in 2006, an early 2006 is the ideal car as it has the BWA engine but a few little extras that got cut on the newer models (blue glass etc).

The crossover went a little longer than that, I've got the late '06 revised dash plastics but still retain some of the old stuff you say like the black trim on the rear window. I suppose the parts bin was still full so they carried on using it up!

Seany, I do see your point - you need what's best for a whole load of factors in your life. Loucyffer's right likewise in some respect.

Mine at least has the entire running gear/bushes/brakes etc of a 15k car and has been serviced twice as often as required - I wouldn't completely discount a good older car, but then a warranty is pretty much bullet proof on a new one.

Have you looked at the likes of warranty direct for used stuff?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:12:29 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Bogwoppit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 10:11:59 pm »
If you've got a baby on the way and fancy a bit more space, have you thought about an Octavia vRS?
Same engine as the golf but a much bigger boot.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:14:09 pm by Bogwoppit »

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 10:55:24 pm »
Hey folks :)

Tony > That's the thing mate, it's more about the budget now I guess, a few years ago, all I ever bought was cars that had done, say, 35, 40k+ miles and a few years old, but when I bought my Seat's they were always newer and newer and less miles each time.

Warranties are about £230 a year, I might ask the dealer if they offer one when I look at the car.

I'd basically be in the same situation, as buying, say a 12k golf @ 25k ish miles on a 2007, would be out of warranty as well, if we're talking buying one with a warranty balance, say 2008, i'd have no chance, as they are £15k+

Bog > Got my heart set on a Golf mate, it was between a Leon Cupra, Leon FR & Golf GTI and i'd have gone for the Leon, but the interior is terrible, the newer ones are brilliant, but too expensive as they are only facelifted from late 2009+ so still commanding a high premium - I think Skoda's are great cars, but the styling doesn't do it for me, on the octavia or the Fabia, im still a small hatchback fan at heart :)

Offline DaveR77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 3
    • UK-MKIVS.net
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:54:44 am »
Would you not consider a higher mileage car? I just bought an mint 07 Edition 30 with 53k for £11k so presume a GTI same year similar mileage would be a couple of grand cheaper