Make a donation

Author Topic: Anti Virus?  (Read 6092 times)

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: Anti Virus?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 11:38:53 pm »
Norton AV 2011 for me.  Went from Norton 360 to this as natural progression.  Really easy to use and seems to work unobtrusively.

had all the free ones (AVG, kap etc) and happy with Norton.

Use it in conjuction with Windows defender.

:laugh: :scared:

I work in I.T and the first thing I do is remove Norton! In fact, McAfee, Norton are all rubbish, system process hogs.

Microsoft Security Essentials is good enough and free, sits in with the Windows OS nicely.

Avg have improved with the 2011 release of AVG Free, Avast is decent enough, not tried Kaspersky, but in fairness Security Essentials will do the job for free.

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 11:51:59 pm »
I use MSE on my pooters. Usually hear good stuff about Avast, too.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 04:17:50 am »
Norton AV 2011 for me.  Went from Norton 360 to this as natural progression.  Really easy to use and seems to work unobtrusively.

had all the free ones (AVG, kap etc) and happy with Norton.

Use it in conjuction with Windows defender.

:laugh: :scared:

I work in I.T and the first thing I do is remove Norton! In fact, McAfee, Norton are all rubbish, system process hogs.

Microsoft Security Essentials is good enough and free, sits in with the Windows OS nicely.

Avg have improved with the 2011 release of AVG Free, Avast is decent enough, not tried Kaspersky, but in fairness Security Essentials will do the job for free.

Happy you work in IT, so does the chap who built my Computer and set up the Norton for me.   :happy2:

ETTO.  As I say, had Norton for the last 4-5 years, and zero hassle, zero problems.  ETTO.

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 08:26:20 am »
I usually remove Mcafee, Norton, AVG (even paid version) and pretty much any free AV.
I found the Microsoft to be about the best for free, but still end up with bugs. Avast I find is worse than AVG these days.

I would happily recommend ESET Smart Security (firewall, Anti-spam, Antivirus, Anti-spyware) or ESET Nod32.
Cant find any other AV solution that uses less than 65MB RAM full the Full security suite. Have installed it on 170+ pc's in the last 18 months.
I have only had one return as the customers kid un-installed it as he could not download bit-torrents.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Re: Anti Virus
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 04:12:45 pm »
There are free ones out there but I have used Kaspersky for the past few years.  :happy2:

3 user licence for just over 20 notes  :wink:

+1

I have also used Kasparsky IS for the past 3-4 years and its great. Stops pretty much everything. Has a built in Ad blocker, which is nice when browsing in IE.

And at £20 for a 3 user licence its good value I think.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 08:02:15 pm »
Avast I find is worse than AVG these days.
Surprised. One of the reasons I left AVG was how bloated it had become. Why don't you like Avast?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Ifti

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 08:06:23 pm »
I also work in IT, and the first thing I also do is remove Norton, McAfee, and other such rubbish. You would be surprised at the system resource these applications take up, for no reason whatsoever. Why would you want these resource hogs taking some of your CPU cycles needlessly?
Ive always used Avast, and recommend it to all my friends/family. Uses next to no system resource. Take very little HDD space. And it just works - never had any issues with it. Just install and forget. Your system will thank you for it!

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 06:47:06 am »
Avast I find is worse than AVG these days.
Surprised. One of the reasons I left AVG was how bloated it had become. Why don't you like Avast?

I too work in IT (but I guess most people on here probably do, lol)

I found Avast extremely bloated. I use to provide Avast as a free AV solution to customers that did not or could not afford to pay for AV.
Every single pc came back with in 4 months. All infected with viruses. Those now run Microsoft security Essentials.

But I find that extremely bloated too.

Offline Comms

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 03:15:23 pm »
Using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware at the moment, pretty efficient program with no problems.

Anyone else tried this one?