Make a donation

Author Topic: Changing steering wheel  (Read 1133 times)

GTIStevie

Changing steering wheel
« on: May 11, 2011, 03:58:29 pm »
Right im looking to change my steering wheel to the MK6 wheel with MF buttons, currently have a 2005 with no buttons and I think it's the midline display. Anyone know what I will need to make the MK6 wheel work and if the airbags are compatible.

Any help and part number would be great and if anyone knows a good place near Aberdeen to have it coded in would be appreciated.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Changing steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »
you will need to get  The steering module and the slip ring to get it to work..the air bags are different as far as i know;send eddie nl or Darren(mortygttdi) who will know more about this than i will
It is a good mod,Darron did mine have a look in my build thread

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 07:54:23 pm »
If you have midline you will never get all the buttons working. Only the volume and mpg indicator.
The airbags are different on the mk5 to mk6. You will need a version c slipring and the module.
If you want the whole wheel to work you will need a highline unit fitting which isn't very cheap.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:12:37 pm »
A mk6 wheel won't fully work unless you have a Highline cluster with white back lighting.
However even without a red highline you can still change CD tracks
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

GTIStevie

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:34:37 pm »
Ok so if I get the steering wheel and airbag, I will also need a version c slip ring and module and I will only get volume, track select and mpg data..will it need to be coded to work and would anyone have a rough idea of part numbers for these parts.

Is I a big task to hook it all up or is it better to get a pro to do it??

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

GTIStevie

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:02:10 pm »
Cheers

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:48:31 pm »
A mk6 wheel won't fully work unless you have a Highline cluster with white back lighting.
However even without a red highline you can still change CD tracks

Ed I have a highline cluster with white backlighting and my MK6 wheel doesn't fully work  :signLOL:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators