Make a donation

Author Topic: Intake noise  (Read 1828 times)

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Intake noise
« on: May 04, 2011, 11:40:00 pm »
Hi, I'm looking to get a intake soon, but I don't want it too loud, but at the same time want good gains, am I right in saying the itg is very loud? With twintake not as loud and dbilas the most quiet. What kind of gains does the dbilas make? Can anyOne recommend anything?

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Intake noise
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:57:27 pm »
I went Dbilas myself, cannot verify with any paper gains as it was mapped to Stg1 a few weeks before the intake went on but the car feels more eager (+ prob helped by the new DP/Cat too) and there is only a discrete 'Darth Vader' noise to it.

It's def not the sucking - snorting - chuffing sound like other intakes I looked at on Youtube.
That said Twintake and especially ITG have strong followings on here. 

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:14:56 am »
Yeah I checked out a few vids on YouTube too, not sure if like the loud chatter noise from the itg and the twintake, I was reading a old post of universal filters being put on the dbilas in replace of what they are supplied with, u have any experience with that?

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:47:15 am »
Mine is the standard set up so far, the most front mounted flat box is like a flat sarnie box and may be the weakest link.
I do know PDT on here used to run a Pipercross Cone on the very front of his Dbilas set up on his Ed30 instead of the flat box arrangement.

If (when) I go beyond Stg1, may have a look down that road for better flow.

I think the Dbilas quietness is likely due to the pipe thickness, the cast metal tubes are like coffee jars in terms of their build, so guess air does not howl/whistle through. That said I've not held an ITG or twintake to compare.

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 06:52:53 am »
The Forge is supposedly the quietest have a look at the Forge review thread by Robin

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9988.0.html

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:24:57 am »
The chatter noise you get with the twintake is this something that would be apparent on a ko3 gti with oe diverter valve, only reason I ask is because the videos I have seen show different noise, some with extreme on off chattering to a constant intake noise( which I prefer)

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 08:17:13 am »
I did hear an Cone intake last night at the low show Bucks event !

Thanks DomT  :happy2:

It is noticeable, not ridiculous but noticeable. I think you'll need to go in the car to decide if you like or not.

I actually prefer the sound of normally aspirated engines so the wooshing for me I would like less of

If I wanted more power then it's no real compromise, some may prefer it over stock

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 11:07:16 am »
I had a BSH air filter fitted and I didnt like the noise it made.  The reason is I had a K&N gen II fitted to my mk1 Focus RS (different car I know) and that sounded awesome.  :evilgrin: I went back to the OE engine cover I was that disappointed with the noise.  Perhaps other air filters sound better but it just sounded a bit weedy to me. :indifferent:
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline patrickcullen87

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:59:22 am »
the forge twintake sounds pretty good, heres a video that shows how good it can really sound  :grin:
&feature=related
Admin Notice Sig Removed - Signature images should be no bigger than 450 pixels wide x 150 pixels high

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 02:43:43 pm »
Power gains can be up to around 20bhp with a cone filter. I measured my airflow with VAGCOM before and after fitting and was a big jump which should equate to reasonable power gains!
The noise isnt as good as i'd hoped it would be but not too bothered as its not rubbish
Ant

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 03:00:42 pm »
Love the noise my Twintake makes - its really not that intrusive and cannot be heard with the radio on at normal listening volume.
Saying that my car makes an audible dump valve noise due to the Forge Adjustable Spacer I have fitted too. :signLOL:

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS