Make a donation

Author Topic: What to do...  (Read 3810 times)

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
What to do...
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:12:30 pm »
So ive just sold my original BBS Monza II's and replaced with a set of replica's (I know i know, long story but needed some cash to buy my wife's 30th birthday prezzie)...  Anyway, put the new wheels on yesterday and very pleased with the way they look, i made sure that i had Italian made ones so the weight is the same as the BBS even though they are 8" wide.

Just as i was sure i made the right choice i had an email from a supplier of mine replying to an email i sent some time ago.  I was looking for a wheel that we bring in (Kei Racing Force 10) but in a 19x8 fitment that is not brought into the UK (so they will be the only set anywhere in that size).  The added bonus of this wheel is that it has been TUV approved  :jumping:

So do i take the jump to 19" or stick with my new 18"'s??????  Also, what colour to go for?  I pretty much have any option i want as they can be done at the factory but this is my short list:
Matt Black with a Matt Polished Lip (the lip runs behind the spokes)
Hypersilver (same as BBS shiny silver)
Hyperblack (Same as RR’s Monza Refurb)

Oh and my car in the fastest colour……Black

Price is a bit of an issue, but if i can sell on the new wheels and tyres ive just brough without loosing anything im not far off the mark.   i will post up a pic as soon as Photobucket decides to work. 

Im going to be lowering in a week or so on Cobra Sport springs (20mm) so will i be OK clearance wise?
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: What to do...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:16:56 pm »
19" Hypersilver gets my vote  :happy2:

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:17:02 pm »
I'd say go for it. Should be ok with only 20mm drop. Might be interested in your 18's for our touran.
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 01:24:55 pm »
Pic of the wheel in Matt Black.  I would not have the KEI on the spoke and mine will be single drilled.

APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 01:33:13 pm »
Silver, should look much nicer without the double PCD drilling too.
Sideways yo!

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 01:33:27 pm »
Nice. I like the way the spoke goes to the edge of the rim.  :happy2:
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 02:15:35 pm »
Nice rimmage, hyper silver for me  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 02:17:23 pm »
I've seen the 18's in hyper black and they would look superb on a black car. :happy2:

As for your question on will they clear the arches and not rub....that would depend on the offset of course.

My Pro race alloys were 18 x 8 with a 45 offset and only rubbed under maximum compression and even then only a slight touch, but that was with the arch liner mod and I am sitting pretty much 35-40mm lower than stock. Also remember that you will most likely be going for 235 section tyres which are a little larger in circumference and width. Without a drop I'd think you'll be okay.

Oh, my BBS CH's are 19" x 8" with 235 section rubber and 48 offset and don't rub at all - amazing what 3mm further in does :happy2:

Golf R gone.

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 03:23:28 pm »
I've seen the 18's in hyper black and they would look superb on a black car. :happy2:

As for your question on will they clear the arches and not rub....that would depend on the offset of course.

My Pro race alloys were 18 x 8 with a 45 offset and only rubbed under maximum compression and even then only a slight touch, but that was with the arch liner mod and I am sitting pretty much 35-40mm lower than stock. Also remember that you will most likely be going for 235 section tyres which are a little larger in circumference and width. Without a drop I'd think you'll be okay.

Oh, my BBS CH's are 19" x 8" with 235 section rubber and 48 offset and don't rub at all - amazing what 3mm further in does :happy2:

Yea i have then in Hyperblack on my last black car and they did look good, just not sure for this one.  Out of interest, why go for a 235 section tyre?  225/35 is closer to the std radius...

So it seems either Hb or Hs then......
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 03:29:11 pm »
  Out of interest, why go for a 235 section tyre?  225/35 is closer to the std radius...

Better Grip?
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 04:25:53 pm »
  Out of interest, why go for a 235 section tyre?  225/35 is closer to the std radius...

Better Grip?

:happy2:

However, I've also noticed that when you order a 19" wheel deal for the MKV Golf, you are generally given 235 section tyres as a default.
Golf R gone.

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 05:11:43 pm »
However, I've also noticed that when you order a 19" wheel deal for the MKV Golf, you are generally given 235 section tyres as a default.

Ive noticed this too, diddnt understand why.  the 225 is cheaper and a better fit.  I though is may ahve been to do with handling buy from the EVO tyre test the 18" was slower than the 17" making me think that the Golf is better suited to smaller rather than bigger....

i recon i will go with the 225 if i go ahead, more clearance, lower cost, (faster too  :grin:)  nothing like being a trail blazer  :evilgrin:

Thamks for the comments though guys, appreciated  :happy2:
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 05:15:45 pm »
Oh, another reason I was given was that the 225 x 35 section tyre is harder to get hold of. Not sure if it is more expensive though!
Golf R gone.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 09:40:32 pm »
I think you know what I'll say Ben  :wink: :happy2:

Black with the polished lip for me  :happy2:

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 12:39:05 pm »
Right, i think im sticking with the reps for the time being.  The springs i have are 25mm so will be running nice and low and dont wat to upset the handling by adding 19's......

thanks for the help though guys  :happy2:  (secretly gutted that i coulddnt realy afford 19" tyres  :ashamed:)
APR cat back, ECS Insert