Make a donation

Author Topic: New to VW what should I be looking into  (Read 2130 times)

Offline D19 STE

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
New to VW what should I be looking into
« on: May 18, 2011, 06:44:41 pm »
Hi All,

As title I'm new to owning a VW as I've owned Fords up until now so know nothing about VW :smiley:

I've got myself a 2005 Mk5 GT 2.0 FSi golf with 70k on the clock and will hopefully have it delivered this week  :smiley:

I've had a quick look on the forum and seen a few things that should be replaced at my mileage (71000) like:

Cambelt & water pump?
Cam follower?

Is this correct and what else should I be looking at if it hasn't been done  :confused:

I don't know exactly what's been done on the car until I get the paper work.

This is the car I own at the moment 1995 RS2000 and I used it for shows and over 1 year I only did 1500 miles in it so decided to get rid as its just an expensive polished ornament

The rs2000 at RSOC heaves Hotel 2010 Cumbria show

So hopefully I will start enjoying being a VW owner  :happy2:

Ste

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
Re: New to VW what should I be looking into
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:56:19 pm »
Bit worrying that you dont know whats been done to the car till you get the paperwork  :surprised:

Cambelt + water pump are recommended at 4 years/60k iirc so at 71k this should've already been done, if it hasn't you'll be looking at around £300-400

Offline Coe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:07:39 pm »
Coil packs. Diverter Valve can split. Upgrade to the newest piston type dv. Corrosion on front wings where the arch liner can rub against the wing. Check around the boot handle/VW badge.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:10:43 pm by Coe »

Offline D19 STE

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:52:35 pm »
Bit worrying that you dont know whats been done to the car till you get the paperwork  :surprised:

Cambelt + water pump are recommended at 4 years/60k iirc so at 71k this should've already been done, if it hasn't you'll be looking at around £300-400

I know its got a service history, but forgot to check for cam belt  :ashamed: getting it from a network q garage and dont get the car till friday ish.

Cheers  :happy2:

Coil packs. Diverter Valve can split. Upgrade to the newest piston type dv. Corrosion on front wings where the arch liner can rub against the wing. Check around the boot handle/VW badge.

Never heard of a diverter valve  :confused: so best look into that to see about upgrading if I need to, whats wrong with the coil packs, do they wear out on these or is there an upgrade on these too  :confused:

Will check out the rust areas  :smiley:

Cheers  :happy2:

Ste

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:57:06 pm »
You will also need an appointment with your bank manager to arrange extra funds for modding  :signLOL:

This forum is an expensive place to visit!

Welcome :evilgrin:

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline Coe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 09:46:05 pm »
The first dv's were prone to failure especially when increasing the power with re-maps and other such performance boosting mods. They original was updated but still used the rubber diaphragm design. The newest type is a piston design and is more robust and can withstand higher boost.

Some of the first Golfs including your 05's coil packs were prone to failure. There is a re-call for them. I just got a new set fitted for free at local VW dealers. A month prior to getting new ones one of my coil packs failed.

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »
If its a GT , you wont have a DV , as its not Turbo??
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Coe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 10:09:50 pm »
If its a GT , you wont have a DV , as its not Turbo??

Well spotted mate. Yeah, if its a GT then no turbo.

Offline D19 STE

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 08:46:44 am »
Thanks for the replys/advice peeps  :happy2:

Yep its only a GT and not a turbo so I can forget about the DV upgrade then as I need a turbo for that  :grin:

Hopefully I wont be spending a fortune on modifying as I want to keep it standard  :confused: :grin:

Ste 

Offline funkythumbs42

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:07:43 am »
check the aircon works and whether the compressor has been changed at any point as they are prone to failure on early models.

Also check both radiator fans work at the front of the car.  The small one is also prone to failure on earlier models and means both units have to be replaced.

Both expensive jobs when they go wrong and its likely it will happen at some point if they have not been replaced already.

Greg

Offline D19 STE

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 02:31:04 pm »
check the aircon works and whether the compressor has been changed at any point as they are prone to failure on early models.

Also check both radiator fans work at the front of the car.  The small one is also prone to failure on earlier models and means both units have to be replaced.

Both expensive jobs when they go wrong and its likely it will happen at some point if they have not been replaced already.

Greg

Ok cheers will check these out  :happy2:

Offline D19 STE

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 02:35:07 pm »
Corrosion on front wings where the arch liner can rub against the wing. Check around the boot handle/VW badge.

Forgot to ask, do the arch liners come out easy to check behind them  :confused:

Offline holland15h

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 03:27:21 pm »

hey welcome,  recognise your username from evo and mk5r, i used to frequent those haunts too when i had my gti a few years ago,

Offline D19 STE

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 06:01:12 pm »

hey welcome,  recognise your username from evo and mk5r, i used to frequent those haunts too when i had my gti a few years ago,

Cheers as I did used to be on those sites a little  :happy2: Im getting rid of my ford now as the wife and me have always liked golfs so decided to go for one  :smiley: