Make a donation

Author Topic: Buckled wheels!  (Read 2730 times)

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
Re: Buckled wheels!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 11:30:49 am »
I had the opposite, had new corsa's on my track porsche and the guys who fitted them (protyre mobile fitting, big race wagon at the circuit organised by Porsche Club GB, good outfit and tyre fitters who support the Porsche Cup race series so not amateurs, and very well known and respected and good guys) said one of your wheels is buckled, sure enough steering wheel was wobbling on track, not a bad buckle but like a bad balance, I even fancied I could see a slight buckle when I jacked car up and spun wheel by hand.

(wheel was good before the new tyres)

So yesterday I took my GTI monza's into Lepsons Swindon yesterday for refurb, while I was there I said can you straighten the buckle on this Porsche wheel, off they go, 20 mins later they come back, no buckle, the tyre is slightly misshapen, the wheel has a very slight imperfection from round in one place, and the balancing weights were all over the place, but def not a buckle, they showed me on their fancy machine, the guy was an expert, whilst I was in reception they were taking trade bookings from ferrari, Porsche and BMW for wheel straigtens and refurbs, 10+ tyres at a time, the reason for a wobble was a bad balance, so the rebalance (for free) and send me on my way   :smiley: top service from Lepsons  :happy2: and moral of the tale, is could be either (bent or balance) but get a couple of opinions first before you weigh into anyone for bending your wheels!!

I would guess a crap balance (or tyre problem) is much more likely than bending a wheel unless (perish the thought) they mixed your wheels up with others!

Offline adamfbb

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 12:37:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.
Went into the place today but the guy that done them is off til monday. Might get him to put them on his balancing machine, but i thought he would have rebalanced them anyway after the powdercoating.
Just have to wait and see what happens next.

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 12:44:08 pm »
My bodyshop told me if I was gonna get my wheels powdercoated to make sure the don't do the hub part or the wheels don't go back on the same don't know how true this is maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can tell u