Make a donation

Author Topic: Garage dilemma - would you go back?  (Read 3978 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=q8rp5ete0jttrjmpf3b4ebj898&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Garage dilemma - would you go back?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 10:37:45 pm »
SMOG... im in the same area... not a decent garage here! Nearest one I trust is TTSRoadsport... and thats in Bedford  :signLOL:

Offline SMOG

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 10:47:39 pm »
SMOG... im in the same area... not a decent garage here! Nearest one I trust is TTSRoadsport... and thats in Bedford  :signLOL:

Bedford! :surprised: Just checked the routeplanner 44.5 miles, 1 hr 6 mins from me.

Crazy thing is - within a 3 mile radius of me there must be over 20 garages, mot stations etc.. and over 12 years of VAG ownership I haven't found one I would go back to with any confidence.

Offline boxxer1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 11:05:28 pm »
I'd go back to me he did the right thing in sorting your car. at least he cares about his customers, as said just double check his work, ive heard the same horror stories from vag
Mk5 golf Gti REVO. stg2+
Milltek | Auto tech | White line | Forge | REVO | KW | Quaife | helix clutch |

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 11:29:30 pm »
I picked up my car from them and after a few days noticed an intermittent metallic tapping sound under acceleration, but couldn't work out where it was coming from - somewhere around under the front engine area. This persisted intermittently for a few days, but didn't seem to affect the car's performance. I had to take a trip up North that weekend, the tapping got worse and more persistent. The strange thing was it seemed to get better or worse depending on my speed, so I drove at whatever speed was affecting it least.

I was going to get it checked properly when I got back to London. On the way back down the M1 it got worse and the car started shaking. I pulled into a service station and looked the car over but couldn't see anything wrong. It was Sunday, getting dark and I just wanted to get home. I got back on the motorway and it had calmed down. I was in the middle lane doing 60-70mph when the front of the car started shaking violently and then suddenly the passenger side just collapsed. It sounded like that side of the car was scraping along the road.

No doubt the garage did a mistake.   :wink:

But to be honest you did the second mistake. And the third one. And the fourth .....

Why didn' you stop immediatly when you heard the ''intermittend tapping'' ??

When you had your car in the garage and a few days later you have a strange
noise it should be obvious there's something wrong. So I can't understand why
you did the long trip on the motorway. Instead of going back to your garage
you ignored this problem ''for a few days''. Then on the motorway it was knocking
again. You ignored it. The back home still knocking and getting worse. You ignored
it. So what do you expect?

:indifferent:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:38:36 pm by the bruce »
"You get what you pay for."

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 08:41:00 am »
I'd go back just to ogle his missus! :laugh:

Ifti

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 11:42:16 am »
Never would I go back there.

My local VAG garage, about 3 miles away, scratched the inside door frame of one of my cars a few years ago. They didnt admit it was them and wouldnt do anything about it.

Since then Ive travelled around 20 miles to my next dealer every time I need a service etc. The further dealer are also MUCH cheaper though! My local wanted £400 for a 1st service!!! Got the same thing done at the further away dealer for £105!