Make a donation

Author Topic: How long does it take to change spark plugs?  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
How long does it take to change spark plugs?
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:21:11 pm »

I've got my 40k service coming up very soon, I have already had my 4 spark plugs changed by JKM a few months back so won't need them doing again. So, obviously I'll be asking the garage to deduct the price of 4 spark plugs off the service price but how much labour should I be asking them to knock off, if any?

Also, I won't be replacing the cam belt as I had this done under warranty last year, but, the water pump wasn't replaced at that point. I did ask them if I should replace it then as everything was apart but they told me it wasn't necessary and it was a different job anyway... So, should I be replacing the waterpump now, if not, how long should I wait before replacing it?

:smiley:

Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: How long does it take to change spark plugs?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:34:31 pm »
For the water pump, it incurs about the same labour costs as having your cam belt changed so IMO leave it alone and only touch it if it fails. Usually it tends to fail shortly after a belt change so you may be ok seeing that was done last year.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:02:39 pm »
For the water pump, it incurs about the same labour costs as having your cam belt changed so IMO leave it alone and only touch it if it fails. Usually it tends to fail shortly after a belt change so you may be ok seeing that was done last year.

So you mean it would've failed by now? I think I will probably leave it, just don't know how long for. I had a look in my service book and it says 120k before a cambelt change.  :confused: I swear different manuals say different things.  :stupid:
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 11:04:36 pm »
i changed my spark plus in 5mins and i have zero mechanical knowledge

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 11:27:59 pm »
IMO you should leave it till your next cam belt change i.e. 4 years or 60k miles since it was last done if it doesn't fail before then.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:01:07 am »
Personally i would have paid for the part price to have the water pump done at the same time as the cambelt warranty work

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 10:24:39 am »
It makes sense to get the Water Pump changed at the same time as the Cambelt. It's a £40ish part and if you point out to them that as they will already have the belt off anyway no extra work is involved (apart from swapping of the pumps themselves) then they usually won't charge labour for it.

Personally i wouldn't want to wait until a Pump failed, potentially causing the belt to then fail and subsequently causing more damage and costs.

h4rdy

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:29:55 am »

Do you want a job? I have 100% mechanical knowledge and it took me half an hour :signLOL:

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 04:45:53 pm »
Personally i would have paid for the part price to have the water pump done at the same time as the cambelt warranty work

Yes I thought this too, that was why I asked them when they were about to do the cambelt. They tried to tell me that it was a different job. I should've argued against that but have probably left it too late now.  :sad1:

Do you want a job? I have 100% mechanical knowledge and it took me half an hour :signLOL:

I might try asking them to knock off half an hours labour then.  :grin:

Thanks. :happy2:

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 05:47:37 pm »
Hi mandy, they were being a little naughty when they did your cambelt under warranty, because as has been said to change the pump while doing the belts is part only cost (usually) unfortunatley to change it now will be similar labour charge to doing a cambelt, not sure of cambelt part charges, but you will be looking at probably almost £300!! assuming that cambelt parts ~ water pump cost, water pump is usually a preventative change, there is not a service interval on the pump so I would leave alone, won't drop £300 just to get it changed!.

As regards plugs, H4rdy, where do i sent my CV  :wink: as it only took me about 10 mins - seriously, the cover is off anyway as I have a CAI, and using cable ties, pulled off the coil packs and then a couple of mins per plug with a plug spanner, push packs back on, jobs a good un  :happy2:

So unfortunatley I don't think you will save any worthwhile money on labour, only on the cost of the plugs.

As regards the belt service interval, different editions of the service manual have different interval's, the general accepted better safe than sorry wisdom is 60k miles, me being ultra safe changed mine at 55k miles!!

h4rdy

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:37:07 pm »
Haha I don't rush and I checked the gaps and adjusted because they weren't spot on.

Check 3 times fit once.

Saint Steve

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 09:02:27 pm »
Peter cooper have a well written script, as when mine was done, was told the same. Something along the lines of it already has a newer uprated Plastic impeller water pump which wasnt prone to failure as the earlier types.

Whether theres any truth....who knows, but im not worried.Will get mine changed in 2 years time when the cambelts up for another replacement.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:22:59 am by Saint Steve »

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:14:43 pm »
How old's the car now Steve? Or did you have cambelt trouble at some point?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Saint Steve

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 09:15:56 pm »
I had my cam tensioner and Belt changed 18 months ago under warranty.

Car is now 4 years , 3 months old

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 09:27:23 pm »
If at any time you go into the cam belt area, for peace of mind i always changed the Water pump.  Saves having to take it all apart again at a later date, and pay twice for the privilege.

I had a Water pump fail on my MK4, it wasn't leaking, only symptom was the car overheating regularly.  The Impellor is plastic, and due to the multiple hot/cold cycles, becomes very brittle, and starts to break up, once  a small piece breaks off, it accelerates the whole process due to the impellor now being out of balance.

I replaced it with an after-market (German/Swedish) brass impellor pump, and vowed to always replace if having ther Cam belt replaced.

For the sake of a few £ on top of the bill, it is a no brainer for peace of mind, but as always your choice.

A few pics of the sort of damage I found.  (not my pics)