Make a donation

Author Topic: Wind Noise  (Read 1911 times)

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 6
Wind Noise
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:45:13 pm »
Hi guys - I have a 3dr Ed30 and also a pronounced wind noise on the driver side.... it's not the usual noise that can come from the seals... it seems to be more of a whistle coming from the top of the door card by the door handle.... so pretty much right by my ear.... just wondering if anyone else has this and also if they've fixed it?
Candy White Edition 30 DSG
Revo Stage 2+
ITG, BCS TBE, Autotech HPFP
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline Phathead

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • VAG Nut
Re: Wind Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:16:55 am »
I had a similar noise on a BMW.....spent a lot of time masking off areas that join to the door, ie, door seals, handles, mirror, joins, and going for a drive every time to see if the whistle disappeared....? a pain I know, but should get you to the bottom.of where the noise is coming from.

Other than that, check the obvious....door is shut, window is fully up, door seal is still attached....sounds silly but sometimes it is that simple.

Good luck.

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:35:06 am »
Thanks mate... checked the door is shut and window is up... I've looked over all the seals, made sure they have a close fit, etc and come up with nothing... the noise doesn't just appear at high speeds it seems to be affected by the doorside vents being open but this only helps the situation not fixes it
Revo Stage 2+
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:00:47 pm »
3 door car like mine then , and mine does the same , if you look closely at the door , does it look 'flush' to you? I think mine needs aligned slightly , Ive heard that 3 door doors are quite heavy and sometimes need new pins in , maybe worth checking?
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:03:23 pm »
yeah I've looked over the door very closely and it all looks fine.... I just think the wind is coming on from a gap somewhere.... will have another look this weekend
Revo Stage 2+
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:19:50 pm »
I've got a 2007 3 door GTi that has an in-built whistle on the drivers' door like you're describing.  Amongst the paperwork given to me by the previous owner, is a receipt for some warranty work that included re-hanging the driver's door not long after the car was delivered.  My whistle seems to be coming from the door mirror area.  If I roll the window down and stick my hand between the mirror and the door as I'm driving along, the whistling stops as the air must be deflected away from whatever is causing the whistle?  Am yet to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem.  Dunno if the doors dropped slightly again but it all looks OK.  I thought it was coming from the door mirror.  Driving along with one hand sticking out the window isn't practical or safe not to mention chilly!   

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:58:18 pm »
JJ it looks like we have the same situation.... although I swear my "whistle" is coming from the top of the door card near the B Pillar.... Will keep on trying things to find the cause... I'll keep the post updated if I find anything
Revo Stage 2+
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade