Make a donation

Author Topic: SteveP's New Project  (Read 247301 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: SteveP's New Project
« Reply #540 on: September 05, 2011, 10:01:04 pm »
bloody hell that plate is mullered!

did you source the SBC thru JBS???

mine slipped a bit again when the track was bone dry in the last sesh...and the damn clutch pedal was sticking again just like it did at Bedford and Combe.

Yep JBS are the main UK distributor for the SBC kits so purchased through them, took longer than expected to clear customs due to the Bank Holiday but they went out of their way to get it me for the end the week so it was ready for fitting today  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #541 on: September 05, 2011, 10:02:25 pm »
You will be able to add a bit of power now to give yourself a chance on track days.  :rolleye:

A little more boost had been added to the settings on the Revo SPS+ ready for testing so should be driving at 7/10th when following bath tubs rather than 8/10ths  :P :P

Yes but i had the 19 stone Goliath smiler sitting on me.  :laugh:  Still dont think i could keep up though.  :signLOL:  ( yet ).

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #542 on: September 05, 2011, 10:03:44 pm »
Don't worry I will be keeping up the progress with the mods too so should be able to stay one step ahead  :grin: :grin:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #543 on: September 05, 2011, 10:04:25 pm »

What more can be done  :rolleye:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #544 on: September 05, 2011, 10:05:20 pm »
Don't worry I will be keeping up the progress with the mods too so should be able to stay one step ahead  :grin: :grin:

:mad:  FFS  :sad1:  :wink:

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #545 on: September 05, 2011, 10:06:14 pm »
Your car is like mine Steve spends more time in kpm having mods than being out on the track having some enjoyment from it all! Glad I missed trax though from the sound of some of the loons on track and the dampness issues.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #546 on: September 10, 2011, 09:41:01 pm »
^^^ Well I have found it's even better to drag them out to the home land of Pie's where webbed feet and six fingers are all the rage  :laugh: :laugh:

On the eventful day at Snetterton last Thursday Kevin and Simon helped take the car to the next level, on the slicks I was finding the car could understeer quite easily and was restricting how quickly I could get on the power out of the corner, so they set to work changing some of the rear setup, first getting the dampers firmed up and then taking the ARB to the very stiffest setting.

They also did checks on the car after each session to monitor the tyre pressures and temps to see what that told them, to start with the temp difference across the front tyres was nearly 20 degrees, showing I wasn't making use of whole tyre, i.e I wasn't trying hard enough  :grin:

So during the morning I built up the pace and really started to feel the difference in the car and my confidence grew and grew. The car is now nicely balanced and but with a bias to be more lively on the rear.

So for the afternoon I was able to enjoy the car and continue to learn more about, certainly time for me to get some more tuition. For future track days I will defiantly be trying to get the guys from KPM along as I got far more out of the day with their support and tweaks to the car  :notworthy: :noteworthy:

At Snetterton we managed to commandeer the parc ferme bay for our setup work, which also has a set of scales so got the car weighed too

A video of the car on track is also being processed / uploaded  :happy2:

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #547 on: September 10, 2011, 09:49:22 pm »
Sounding good Steve lad!are the slicks taking a bit of getting use to then you could always send kev out to warm them up for you lol! I've got the slick experimenting to deal with yet, when's your next track day then? Is it feeling more balanced with your rear arb on the stiffest setting then?

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #548 on: September 10, 2011, 09:51:35 pm »
OMG! Your car weighs as much as mine with "only" double the power. Quite a track weapon you have over there...

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #549 on: September 10, 2011, 10:07:25 pm »
Sounding good Steve lad!are the slicks taking a bit of getting use to then you could always send kev out to warm them up for you lol! I've got the slick experimenting to deal with yet, when's your next track day then? Is it feeling more balanced with your rear arb on the stiffest setting then?

The slicks are great, you just need to get on it straight away and you will have no issues.

I think it more down to the proper AST suspension rather than the ARB, it's difficult to explain but it's less neutral than before and you have to drive it properly and committed to get the best out of it, otherwise you can get a lot more lift off oversteer.

Next outing is for Audi Driver at Castle Combe on the 8th Oct  :happy2:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #550 on: September 10, 2011, 10:18:03 pm »
and was restricting how quickly I could get on the power out of the corner

really? couldve fooled me at Blyton  :grin:
great to see the car taking more leaps forward  :notworthy:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #551 on: September 10, 2011, 10:24:38 pm »
and was restricting how quickly I could get on the power out of the corner

really? couldve fooled me at Blyton  :grin:
great to see the car taking more leaps forward  :notworthy:

It's a different animal now, even dropping the tyres pressures down to what I should have been running at Blyton has made a big difference.

Once TC is back from his holiday we will have to book another day  :driver: :driver:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #552 on: September 13, 2011, 09:22:49 pm »
Your own pit crew!  :grin:  :notworthy:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #553 on: September 13, 2011, 09:25:50 pm »
Your own pit crew!  :grin:  :notworthy:

Yep it's the future of track days :happy2:

I was funny driving in from the track sessions and having them pair jump on the car with the temp and pressure gauges to see how the tyres where etc.  :laugh:

If they are available in the future I would certainly book them up for the day again, and I know NeilM would too  :notworthy:

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #554 on: September 13, 2011, 10:33:11 pm »
What have you decided on so far anyways for your slick tyre pressures Steve?