Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine mounting failed - advise please? (UPDATE)  (Read 36555 times)

Saint Steve

Re: Engine mounting failed - advise please?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 09:32:08 am »
More likely that they wernt tightened at all tbh..

Good luck tommorow getting it sorted.  :happy2:

Offline barlimow

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 10:26:12 am »
Saw this image from another thread http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24226.0.html which seems to say the workshop manual says they SHOULD replace the bolts...

h4rdy

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 10:41:38 am »
Your right I was just quoting other people.

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 11:15:07 am »
Lol, i'd just dug out the link to that image on my PB account but you already found it yourself.  I posted that last time we had this debate.  :evilgrin:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 11:16:19 am »
OP - If your invoice does not include a charge for the new bolts then I think they are bang to rights.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

h4rdy

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 11:21:49 am »
I think I will place an order before I fit my THS!

Offline barlimow

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 12:03:49 pm »
OP - If your invoice does not include a charge for the new bolts then I think they are bang to rights.
Just says "repair kit 06F198119A" which I read on another thread doesn't include bolts (pic below).

If they say "you don't need new bolts", how can I definitely prove that they SHOULD have used them, and therefore have them "bang to rights" as you say?

Many thanks for everyone's help.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 12:15:10 pm »
You could call VW UK and ask them to clarify.

You can also buy the specific part of the repair manual from here - https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do
Stu...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 12:17:20 pm »
Stu...

Saint Steve

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 02:04:20 pm »
The bolts that hold the engine mount on are stretch bolts.  So are designed for one use only.  They will fail if re-used, and cause damage.  I hope they have not caused damage to the head/block due to being loose.

Not sure about that.

Quote: Just to let everyone know that I have never had an issue with re using any of those bolts.  Not even VW bother with new ones.

Taken from here: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20317.msg284188.html#msg284188

I am not an expert but others are.

Not trying to disagree or annoy just what I have read :happy2:

Good luck tommorow getting it sorted.  :happy2:
Sounds like some spanner monkey has gone for a coffee break whilst doing the O.P's car :fighting:
Those are big bolts to called "stretch"bolts :confused:

they are stretch bolts, designed for one shot only. :fighting: :congrats: :congrats:

QD .. You don't even know whether the VW tech tightened them in the 1st place, so whether they were reused would mean they have indeed sheared off, or were just sat in the castings on the Engine mount ..

Only the O.P and tech at vw will see whats happened... i still think they wernt tighten and forgot about personally. But like you , only asuming as to whats happened...

They are a fair size bolt, they wont break under such a small ammount of torque. Its more like "good practice" to replace them.

Always makes you wonder why wheel bolts aernt replaced everytime a wheel or tyre is changed?

New bolts may well have Loctight on the threads to prevent them from rattling free, rather then a bolt breaking..
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 02:15:44 pm by Saint Steve »

Saint Steve

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 02:55:32 pm »
I give up.

:laugh:

If only cars were built to aircraft spec dave

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 03:23:24 pm »
QD .. You don't even know whether the VW tech tightened them in the 1st place, so whether they were

Yes but by the same token Steve neither do you.  :innocent:

Saint Steve

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 03:27:31 pm »
QD .. You don't even know whether the VW tech tightened them in the 1st place, so whether they were

Yes but by the same token Steve neither do you.  :innocent:

The bolts that hold the engine mount on are stretch boltsSo are designed for one use only.  They will fail if re-used, and cause damage.  I hope they have not caused damage to the head/block due to being loose.

Not sure about that.

Quote: Just to let everyone know that I have never had an issue with re using any of those bolts.  Not even VW bother with new ones.

Taken from here: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20317.msg284188.html#msg284188

I am not an expert but others are.

Not trying to disagree or annoy just what I have read :happy2:

Good luck tommorow getting it sorted.  :happy2:
Sounds like some spanner monkey has gone for a coffee break whilst doing the O.P's car :fighting:
Those are big bolts to called "stretch"bolts :confused:

they are stretch bolts, designed for one shot only. :fighting: :congrats: :congrats:

QD .. You don't even know whether the VW tech tightened them in the 1st place, so whether they were reused would mean they have indeed sheared off, or were just sat in the castings on the Engine mount ..

Only the O.P and tech at vw will see whats happened... i still think they wernt tighten and forgot about personally. But like you , only asuming as to whats happened...They are a fair size bolt, they wont break under such a small ammount of torque. Its more like "good practice" to replace them.

Always makes you wonder why wheel bolts aernt replaced everytime a wheel or tyre is changed?

New bolts may well have Loctight on the threads to prevent them from rattling free, rather then a bolt breaking..

Glad you read my post Ian aswell :confused:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 07:31:13 pm »
C'mon ladies, it's not helping the OP with his question.  :happy2:
Stu...

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 09:12:54 pm »
Ive just had my cambelt done at a VW Dealer last week , I'm worried now , thats the 2nd or 3rd time Ive read about this happening on here  :scared:
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)