Make a donation

Author Topic: I know its not a golf, but..........  (Read 20811 times)

Offline T88OMM

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
I know its not a golf, but..........
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:11:45 am »
I thought it was about time I got some pics up of the new chariot. My last car (the reason I am member on here) many of you will know and have seen before. My much loved ED30, had the full stage 2+ treatment (full TBE, Autotech HPFP, Milltek TBE, Carbonio, Custom Code Stage 2+ map) The car was running around 330BHP, it was a monster  :evilgrin: I decided to sell earlier this year for a number of reasons, but the main being the amount I was spending on fuel. £120 a week in loopy juice was really hurting my pocket, she had to go and a diesel was on the cards. Looking at it now I could have kept her, a change of job etc. helped the situation I was in a lot, but hey ho. Next year will bring something special to the garage  :evilgrin: Here is a pic of her  :happy2:

The car was eventually sold (after 6 months of advertisement) to a member of the forum dan.payne. He is taking good care of her, I see it from time to time which does not do anything for my pocket. Every time I see it I want another  :sad:

So what to get next. I had looked at various cars, Golf MKV diesel's, BMW 320d coupe's and A3 S Line's etc. I ruled the golf out as I had already had three and the Beemer was just too boring . I went to look at a few A3's and was really starting to like them. However every one that I went to look turned out to be dogs, it was starting to get tireless.

Then I came up on a red A3 S-Line Quattro on Pistonheads. It was fully loaded, Xenons, full leather, Bose sound system, just about every option on the list had been ticked bar sat nav. I went to look at the car in Wolverhampton and it turned out to be mint. After mulling over it on the way back I decided I would take my time and see if anything else came up. I got back home and had another look on Pistonheads and came across a grey one of almost identical spec, that was in Bolton a lot closer to home. So the next day I went to look at that one, what a dog that turned out to be! I decided that the red one was the way to go, it really was in top condition. I immediately called the garage and did the deal over the phone  :jumpmove: Two days later me and Jay (JPC) were on the way to Wolverhampton pick her up. All the paperwork was sorted out and we were on the way back home in no time. I immediately knew I had made the right decision, it really was a lovely car to drive. Everything felt very solid and grown up. I was not so sure on the red but it started to grow on me quickly. This is a pic of an identical car when I got it (can't find any standard pics of mine)

I originally planned just to put a new set of wheels on but as always with me I can't leave anything alone. After scouring audisport.net I cam across a nice shiny set of 19' BBS Ch's. I got on the blower and in no time I was on the way up to Hull to pick a new set of wheels up  :jumpmove: This is a pic of them of how they were:

I got them on the car but soon realised I wanted them refurbed and painted in black or anthracite. I was gonna go with a black and red them with the car, I think the two colours go really well together. After a quick chat with Gerry at WRC Wheel Repairs a finish was decided. Gloss black centres with a polished machined lip. Here is how they came out:

I wanted to adress the front of the car next as I thought it looked a bit bland, I wanted to toughen it up a bit. Here is how it did look:

After trawling the internet looking at various options I decided on a Black Optics grill, Cupra R splitter and some Lamin-X to darken the headlights and fog lights. After all was purchased Friday afternoon came and it was time to get it all fitted at Jay's unit. Jay was detailing gazbutmk5gti's car at the time so Gaz was there to help. He preety much ended doing all the work as he soon found out I was useless with a spanner. He was better left alone doing the work, I was demoted to tea boy  :grin: Here is how it came out  :evilgrin:

Next up was the rear lights, the 2009 A3 rear lights had been changed a little and I decided I wanted some. Here is a pic with the new ones on:

That is preety much it for now, the car is going in to Awesome in Manchester for some coilovers a week today, gonna get it as low as I possibly can  :evilgrin: After that S3 side skirts and rear diffuser are going on along with a custom exhaust system. I will post pics in due course. Here are a couple of pics of the car how it currently looks now  :happy2:

I know the photos are useless but the only camera I own is on my phone. Please let me know your honest opinions and any ideas that you may have that will spruce it up a bit.

Thanks, Tom  :happy2:

TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline dan.payne

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: I know its not a golf, but..........
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 10:24:17 am »
Love it Tom the A3's come on in such as short space of time! Loving the Red and dark theme  :happy2:

Just thought I'd add it took me around 3 months to prise the golf from Tom's grip! From meeting him I would say he doest do things by half measures its always full Fat!  :drinking:

Hope to see it in the flesh at GTi Spring!
GTi Edition 30 Phase 2+ :jumping:

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 10:33:37 am »
Looks great mate. Once you have the skirts on it will be ace. Love red cars my last was a flash red lcr, your looks awesome with those black alloys. Get some red mouse machine glaze on there.  :happy2:
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 10:41:25 am »
Looking good Tom, the wheels have come out top notch, will look great when its been hit with the lowering stick. Front end looks tough as F :happy2:

O yeh you need to get Jay to give it a once over :smiley:

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 10:50:48 am »
looks mean as hell that tom, alot better than standard, well done  :happy2: (gaz)  :grin:

you should lamin-x the rear lights and tint the crystal indicators  :party:

gaz would that splitter not fit on yours aswell, looks mint!  :smiley:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 10:54:54 am »
yes it would Joe, don't fancy drilling my bumper, where as Tom had no such concerns :laugh:

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 10:55:31 am »
:lol:  :signIWS:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 10:58:01 am »
Looking good Tom, the front end has got it going on for sure.  :happy2:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 10:58:32 am »
Yeah I have got some Lamin-X for the indicators which will be going on ASAP. Once the new side skirts and diffuser are on it is going into Jay for a full detail  :drool:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 12:57:28 pm »
Lovely looking car, I love the black optics kit - but have you see how much it costs on the options list at Audi?! I really like the A3, if don't end up with a GTi, it may well be an S-tronic 2.0T A3.

Does the Lamin-X not adversely effect the performance of the headlights? They look really dark.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 01:21:10 pm »
Lovely looking car, I love the black optics kit - but have you see how much it costs on the options list at Audi?! I really like the A3, if don't end up with a GTi, it may well be an S-tronic 2.0T A3.

Does the Lamin-X not adversely effect the performance of the headlights? They look really dark.

i think it takes about 10% of the brightness (from what i remember), so not much really.  :smiley:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 01:34:00 pm »
I had Gazbut behind me on the M6 last weekend and he has this mod, and they still looked very bright, he does have xenon's though i cant say what they would look like like on standard lights. I was surprised at how bright they looked, when i had a blimp in the service station they did look dark up close.  :smiley:

matt a

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 01:34:56 pm »
That is a really nice looking car Tom, with some really nice mods, esp the black grille and shorter plate holder.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 01:41:58 pm »
Looks very nice. I thought replacing the chrome bit of grille with a black one would look nasty but it's come out well.

Looks a bit orange though. Is that what it really looks like or just the camera?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

matt a

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 02:37:55 pm »
Ive been thinking about getting an A3, and the black grille would be the first mod i'd do tbh.  :happy2: