Make a donation

Author Topic: Carbon Wings - Feeler for GB....  (Read 18693 times)

Offline Bennett vrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Carbon Wings - Feeler for GB....
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 05:30:14 pm »
I like the idea of arch clearance etc and the non rust factor, but not that kind of fit. For what may even be a little bit extra at worst you could get new arches oulled and rolled, undersealed and the arch liner extrended, and it would surely be a far better finish, andworst comes to the worst a repaint in a few years, ( worst case ). Where as with the carbon ones looks like you will have bigger problems than a coat of paint.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 05:33:31 pm »
^^^^
Yikes!! Jake, that looks really nasty! I'm trying to work out from your photos whereabouts that damage is  :confused:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:35:40 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 05:38:54 pm »

I like the idea of arch clearance etc and the non rust factor, but not that kind of fit. For what may even be a little bit extra at worst you could get new arches oulled and rolled, undersealed and the arch liner extrended, and it would surely be a far better finish, and worst comes to the worst a repaint in a few years, ( worst case ). Where as with the carbon ones looks like you will have bigger problems than a coat of paint.

....I'm beginning to think you may be right. Plus I don't have to think twice about using my VW dealer's bodyshop - We have a long and successful history.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3q7ksjtljfgtgv57pkq36jqh3e&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 05:42:30 pm »
 :scared:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 05:47:57 pm »
^^^^
Yikes!! Jake, that looks really nasty! I'm trying to work out from your photos whereabouts that damage is  :confused:

left side, joint between fender and bumper, the tyre has hit the joint itself, due to me being to low mostly. but not that concerned really, will talk to the painter and see if he can mend it. My car is there to be used not show and shine  :wink:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Bennett vrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2011, 07:12:13 pm »
^^^^

left side, joint between fender and bumper, the tyre has hit the joint itself, due to me being to low mostly. but not that concerned really, will talk to the painter and see if he can mend it. My car is there to be used not show and shine  :wink:

Your wheel surely cant hit that part there?  :scared: Looks as if the bumper has hit the ground and forced up against the wing and cracked, broken the hardened sealer over the carbon. Might be wrong though. If they were a better fit i think they would be a definate option.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 10:49:56 pm »
^^^^

Your wheel surely cant hit that part there?  :scared: Looks as if the bumper has hit the ground and forced up against the wing and cracked, broken the hardened sealer over the carbon. Might be wrong though. If they were a better fit i think they would be a definate option.

That's how I saw the damage too.

10mm extra clearance = always good
PLANNED weight reduction = good

I think that rolling and pulling the arches and then correct painting afterwards would be the best idea if you could guarantee symmetry between the arches after rolling/pulling. Especially if you could drop £££'s from the cost  :happy2:

Golf R gone.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 05:04:29 am »
^^^^

I hadn't thought of that. My reasoning being that i know the wheel have hit the inner lining as it had pulled the rear screw and plug that hold the inner lining out of the fender. but the car did hit the kerb when i went off.  :confused:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 10:15:24 am »

I hadn't thought of that. My reasoning being that i know the wheel have hit the inner lining as it had pulled the rear screw and plug that hold the inner lining out of the fender. but the car did hit the kerb when i went off.  :confused:

....Then I think hitting the kerb at speed is what must have done it. I think you'd have seen tyre damage if the wheel had caused the carbon wing damage.

The fit we've been discussing doesn't look so bad to me - That 'ledge' which I think your camera flash over emphasised continues around below the headlight anyway. Those folks who can be a bit anal about such things should have a closer look at all the other body panel joins on their Mk5's!

Offline steffan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2011, 05:28:14 pm »
very nice...lose some weight...what about the front bumper?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:30:57 pm by steffan »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 01:23:36 am »

very nice...lose some weight...what about the front bumper?

....The front bumper is already plastic, so nothing worthwhile to be gained.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 01:28:46 am »
I tested the tyre clearance on a roundabout today with Alex - It rubs! My bodyshop suggested earlier today that they roll/pull the OEM arches first (a freebie) to see if they can gain enough to make the difference. If successful, they can then prep and paint. Otherwise I can supply them carbon wings to paint.

Also, he reiterated that a gap between the arch liners and wings doesn't matter at all - It's all designed to drain water etc irrespective of the liners.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:32:15 am by RedRobin »

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 07:03:44 am »
RR, with that rims is the rubbing present?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 09:43:00 am »

RR, with that rims is the rubbing present?

....OZ Racing Alleggerita 18's with 225 tyres. It used to rub with my OEM Monza 18's in the same circumstances too. It only happens when driving very hard into very sharp corners - Such as going all the way around a roundabout at speed < A good test.

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 01:10:05 pm »
What is your rim offset and width?