Make a donation

Author Topic: Reasons for MAF Failure?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Reasons for MAF Failure?
« on: May 30, 2011, 08:06:51 pm »
Hello chaps, as per my post other day my MAF failed and am trying to make an informed decision as to whether my CAI is to blame or can they just go pop anyhow?

Is there a filament bit inside and if so will it only break if gets dirty or can excess vibration/movement affect it as my CAI is not properly mounted at present.

As I am stg 2+ i need the CAI to get most of map but need to work out whether need to change to a better intake.

I have read several threads but am confused about whether an oiled intake like the ITG is better or not ie if the oil gets on the maf will it break the maf but if you have a non oiled up intake is it asking for dust etc to enter into engine?  :confused:

Any help/comments appreciated, many thanks
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Re: Reasons for MAF Failure?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:17:45 pm »
not really relevant but can't you ask BDM if they'll make you the part of the intake that screws into the engine to secure it?

or make it yourself?

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:37:12 pm »
Hello chaps, as per my post other day my MAF failed and am trying to make an informed decision as to whether my CAI is to blame or can they just go pop anyhow?

Is there a filament bit inside and if so will it only break if gets dirty or can excess vibration/movement affect it as my CAI is not properly mounted at present.

As I am stg 2+ i need the CAI to get most of map but need to work out whether need to change to a better intake.

I have read several threads but am confused about whether an oiled intake like the ITG is better or not ie if the oil gets on the maf will it break the maf but if you have a non oiled up intake is it asking for dust etc to enter into engine?  :confused:

Any help/comments appreciated, many thanks

Can't really comment on the MAF problem your having but as far as getting an ITG intake is concerned i can highly recommend it, i've been running one on my GTI at stage 2+ for a while now and have never had any issues with my MAF sensor or with oil getting onto the MAF, the actual filter is oiled but you can't really feel it to the touch.

Dave

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:26:58 am »
not really relevant but can't you ask BDM if they'll make you the part of the intake that screws into the engine to secure it?

or make it yourself?

yes alex is going to do so - when he has time!

Thanks Dave, re good to hear yout iTG is doing the business
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:13:59 am »
Did the MAF put on a CEL? My car is running an Evom's most of it's life and the MAF is still ok.
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)