Make a donation

Author Topic: Coolant tank level  (Read 3532 times)

Offline wortho8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Coolant tank level
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:58:08 pm »
hi all

i was showing a friend how clean my engine bay was yesterday  :grin: but he soon pointed out that my Coolant level is far too high. now im not to sure as tbh ive never really paid attention to it. but do this look high to you, if so how would i go about draining if if possiable at all?

ive also looked for a max marker on the tank but i cant seen to find any. the level is way above the little book image  :confused:

also ive circled what looks like a sensor thingy ( technical term ) could somebody please tell me what this is and has it anything to do with notifying you that the level is too high. if so its well and truly cream crackered.

sorry about the quality its from my crap iphone.

thanks for your time  :happy2:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: Coolant tank level
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:20:02 pm »
Don't worry about it for another minute - not a problem.  If you cant sleep though you could just syphon some out or use something like a turkey baster to pull some out.  Only thing I would say is to get the anti-freeze concentration checked in case its a bit weak.

The sensor only tells you when its low and isn't designed / intended to tell you when its high.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline daz_pd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 7
  • My VRS
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:33:50 pm »
Won't it have an overflow anyway?

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:37:37 pm »
Yup, that coolant level is over max. If you look at the engine side of the resevoir you should see the max and minimum markings.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:16:43 am »
Look at where the book is then keep going downwards and you'll see the level marker. It's below the bevel. You can see it in the pic!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:43:54 am »
Is this warm or cold?  if its hot then my level sometimes approaches this high, if its cold then its a little high without room for expansion but if it was going to it would have lost the extra volume by now.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline wortho8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:04:53 pm »
thanks for the reply guys

yea the picture was taken when the engine was cold as i didnt used it that day, so not much room for expansion me thinks.

probally the best bet would be to drain alittle fluid out just to be on the safe side