Make a donation

Author Topic: help needed. knocking sound with pics and vid  (Read 1102 times)

Offline smee

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
help needed. knocking sound with pics and vid
« on: June 01, 2011, 07:38:49 pm »
all

i wonder if you can be of some assistance

i recently bought a Neuspeed P Flo kit for my car and upon fitting i dropped an 8mm socket and magnetic attachment for a screw driver. I didnt think much of it and thought it would just roll out when driving.

well i wasn't sure if its stuck or not as i started to get some knocking sound when driving. happens when driving lower than 10 mph and turning tight. (normal driving at 45+ i guess doesnt put enough steering lock on to make the noise).

Even when stationary and steering the noise is apparent with a creak/knocking.

Decided to put the car on the ramps today removed the lower cover and nothing.... dug around for an hour and nothing is touching anything. decided to lowering and get my mate to steer it and i think i know what it is although i want some advise

here are some pics on what i think the culprit is

Car Jacked up

lowered car and drove home. it only make the noise slower than 10 mph and it appear when break so car body roll is forward. accel car body roll back and cornering

here is a vid of it stationary with the phone up the wheel turn the steering wheel slightly

1st up. why is the spring touching the strut this way is it normal? if so i guess this is a design fault.

2nd up. for those who have fitted spring can yout check your originals to see if they have done the same

3rd up. are we in agreeance that the cause of my noise is this spring rubbing.

thanks

Lee

Offline smee

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: help needed. knocking sound with pics and vid
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 07:00:26 am »
did a lot of searching and it appears it could be one of 3 things

1) Top mount and bearing

2) drop links

3) Steering rack

Does this sound right?

lee

Offline smee

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:03:21 am »
well im now even more confused. Driving to work this morning car is knocking and bang as usual.

start to come down a hill which have some lights at the bottom and a fairly sharp but cambered left (Entrance to the Castle Mall Car Park for those who know Norwich)

there was an almighty thud and then silence......... no more knocking!!!!

WTF is going on with my car. why is it repairing it self.... Herbie??

was going to buy some sportline's today and rule out the springs but i might run it around for a week to see what happens.

Lee

Offline WilliamOT

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:52:43 pm »
Let me know the outcome on this. Mine has started rattling / nocking at the front on the right  when i turn left. Its only at low speed. Took it to VW and they cant find anything wrong. Its driving me mad. Im sure it started after i had the new tyres put on.

Offline smee

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:23:21 pm »
ok this does seem to be fixed now

the things to check

1) Springs are seated correctly in the cup (Think this was my issue after having the car on a ramp)
2) Top mount is dont up and not loose.

if these are ok then i guess its time yo wip them off and change the top mount and bearing and the drop links. whilst off you can check the condition of the spring to see if its faulty or not

hope this helps mate

lee