Make a donation

Author Topic: Have a laugh?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline SirSparkamus

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
Have a laugh?
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:15:33 pm »
Hey guys! Ive just been browsing some cars selling sites here in NI looking for my new GTI!

Now!

What do you make of these prices?

http://www.usedcarsni.com/search_results.php?sortby=&dealer=&search_type=1&keywords=gti&make=32&price_from=7000&mileage_from=0&age_from=0&trans_type=0&model=1333&price_to=10000&mileage_to=0&age_to=0&fuel_type=1&search.x=11&search.y=14&distance_enabled=0&distance_miles=50&distance_postcode=

They seem scandalous do they not  :stupid:

Oh, sold the MKIV a few days ago - so I'm officially on the prowl!  :party:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:22:14 pm by SirSparkamus »

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Have a laugh?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 01:59:27 pm »
What price range are you looking within. I am having the same problem, finding the perfect GTi for the right price here in NI.

This one is probably one of the cheapest for mileage and what you get (multi functional steering wheel, leather seats etc) but I don't like leather seats so it's off my list...http://www.usedcarsni.com/72735069
Bit of a low mileage too. Would much prefer a 30,000-40,000 for that age of car.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:05:08 pm by crashdesk »

Offline SirSparkamus

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 03:38:25 pm »
Hi m8ty, funds will allow up to £8,500 for a car - perhaps a little more.

I thought some of our other forum members from the mainland would have had an opinion - obviously not!  :grin:

Seems you are getting more for your money over there.

Why don't you like the low mileage on that car - looks lovely btw :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:41:14 pm by SirSparkamus »

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 04:33:48 pm »
I have been reading alot on teh forums and feel that a car should be well run in so average 10,000 miles per year. That would equate to 40,000 miles on that car. It just seems really low and would be quite wary. With a car like the GTI I would like to know it was being used and not stuck in a garage or being used by an ol' fogie tearing up the clutch.

Offline SirSparkamus

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 06:26:47 pm »
I see! Good job!  :happy2:

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 11:25:32 pm »
I have been reading alot on teh forums and feel that a car should be well run in so average 10,000 miles per year. That would equate to 40,000 miles on that car. It just seems really low and would be quite wary. With a car like the GTI I would like to know it was being used and not stuck in a garage or being used by an ol' fogie tearing up the clutch.

If you are wary of low milage there may be other tell tale signs that convey the real amount of use the car has had:

gear knob, steering wheel, seats all showing signs of wear. The pedals, especially the gas pedal as this has little rubber ridges on it. If it's done low milage and all these components are still looking like they've hardly been touched then it's probably genuine. If they don't look so new then it's iffy and the owner will need to explain why.

If there's a full service history it should also log what the milage was at every service or alternatively the milage should be logged on MOT certificates.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:27:10 pm by Frenzy »

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 01:15:27 pm »
Good tips Frenzy! Going to check out a GTI tonight at Isaac Agnew and get a feeling for price reductions and if the current climate is affecting their second hand prices.