Make a donation

Author Topic: Fabia VRS - test drive!  (Read 9992 times)

Offline Gti_Mad

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
Re: Fabia VRS - test drive!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 06:49:59 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

all day long  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 06:56:49 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

all day long  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

....Aren't you going to ask whose daughters they are, Dawaine?  :evilgrin:

I've got a few more hot Skoda cutie pics but better post them in the VAG Babes thread.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 06:58:25 pm »
hahahaha na not this tym robin   :innocent: :innocent: :signLOL:

you should get ur daughter 2 do a shoot with ur car   :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 07:33:40 pm »
I had a test drive in a VRS and it was a fun car. I still think I would buy a Polo over it just because the dash is nicer and you can spec it with fewer doors.
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline europameister

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 12:58:00 am »
They are good value but incredibly ugly!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 01:17:01 am »
Found this. :happy2:

I'd still take the Polo  :P

Also found the video below. Fast forward to 7'37" for the comparisons of lap times.

"only" 5 seconds between the Golf R and the Polo GTI, which isn't bad considering the Polo is £14k cheaper in base spec DSG forms. :surprised:

And I'd guess with £3k of mods on the polo you'd be just as fast.  :driver: :evilgrin:

Golf R gone.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 01:23:39 am »
bocanegra and the a1 over the vrs and polo for me!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 09:10:23 am »
its a good little car and an absolute bargain.  Its got its gripes like the body roll and no midrange but its the same with all std cars and why we mod.

Configured a Polo up to my exact spec and its £21550.  First of thats horrific for a Polo, secondly i paid £14200 for my fabia to the same spec.  I look at people in the Polo and think mug :grin: the interior is better ill give it that, but not 6k better :surprised:

I also think the Polo looks to much like a golf.  At least the Fabia is different to the mainstream.  Theres more room in the fabia as well

heres mine

The golf Cart

I am a big fan of the octy, great looking car, but I think the fabia is just horrible, sorry, I know the engine is great etc but the looks  :sick: and I'm not saying that every fabia driver is a div, but they are constantly trying to race? The older diesel model even more so. Rant over, buy a 200 and have done with it :P

for handling yes,but its got no midrange or go in it.  IF i could get this Fabia to handle maybe 90% as well as the 200, id be happy because its already substantially faster in the straight line.  With the remap its enough to really upset people.

And its party piece

If i spank someone they got beaten by a 1.4 Skoda
If i get spanked its only a skoda so its not a big deal

win win for me

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 09:19:22 am »
A few more interesting spec comparisons

VRS gets curtain airbags as standard, the GTi you pay £600 for.

Electric sunroof is £385 on the VRs and £815 on the GTI

How can VW charge more than double for a sunroof and £600 for a safety feature that is std on a bloody Skoda!!! :fighting:

But....

there are some flaws for instance

car mats are an option, underseat storage boxes an option, no rear interior light etc

amongst other things.  You can see where they have penny pinched to make it the bargain it is.

however comparing to the seat Ibiza i know there are loads of things they dont have on their cars that we do.  the multi function computer has digital oil temps and the abiltiy to adjust the % ratio of the speedo by plus or minus 5% which really opens up the tyre availability and winter tyres etc

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 09:31:52 am »
What size wheels are those??

And the stance is a bit shocking. The previous design is so much better!
Think it's the lack of side skirts like the previous Ibiza that makes them look bit weird

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 09:58:16 am »

Does need a tap with the lowering stick  :popcornsoda:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 07:32:40 pm »
What size wheels are those??

17"

Does need a tap with the lowering stick  :popcornsoda:

id say it needs beating with the lowering stick

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 12:38:03 am »
So,

I've been out for a test drive in the VW Polo GTI today and .............................loved it :love:

So much so I've ordered one :surprised:

Now, I know the Fabia is cheaper and after driving the Polo I know why. The interior quality and fit and finish is far superior to the Fabia. Typical example of what sticks in my mind are the interior door handles - The VRS had flimsy plastic handles that looked like they would be of the same quality as a plastic bottle, wheras the Polo GTI is literally the same quality as the Golf GTI. I know the publicity spiel says that the Fabia has all the same oily bits that the Polo does, but it simply cannot as the Polo simply handles better and rolls less than the Fabia. :confused:
I like the fact that it is lighter and has decent modding potential and looks the part. Downsides? well I guess they could have the RNS510 as a factory option, but I'll go aftermarket again as a result of their omission. Brakes were decent, but I know I'll have to look at something with more "bite" :evilgrin:

I'll have quite a few months to invstigate what to modify and gather some parts together.  Starting weight is 1219kg with a 90% full tank, so I'm sure I can get that down a little :driver:
Golf R gone.

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2011, 12:58:45 am »
Maybe a silly question, but are the Seat's (as in model not interior)  :signLOL: meant to be better quality build than the Skoda's?
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2011, 02:21:23 am »
Now, I know the Fabia is cheaper and after driving the Polo I know why. The interior quality and fit and finish is far superior to the Fabia. Typical example of what sticks in my mind are the interior door handles - The VRS had flimsy plastic handles that looked like they would be of the same quality as a plastic bottle, wheras the Polo GTI is literally the same quality as the Golf GTI. I know the publicity spiel says that the Fabia has all the same oily bits that the Polo does, but it simply cannot as the Polo simply handles better and rolls less than the Fabia. :confused:

I wouldn't have said the difference was that marked but you can see where they have saved money, its still streets ahead of Renault and ford though, so im happy.  Ref the handling Ive driven both and 100% agree the polo handled better, especially with the damping control over rough roads. IMO that's irrelevant though as both of us will change the suspension, ARBs, brakes etc so then its a level playing field.

Both cars need alot of work.  I have been speaking to VWRacing about mods and they were in agreement that the chassis suffers pretty poor axle tramp and torque steer and traction issues once mapped,

Plenty of mods available or in development already though.  Im waiting for replies from Sam@VWR about pricing for their ARBs, although whiteline have a rear bar available already, and with any luck there will be engine mounts available very soon.  VWR believe the LSD is a little bit off at the moment, and i also spoke to Quaife regarding developing a LSD for the DSG7 and they didn't seem remotely interested as they dont see the market as being worthwhile for it as it has the XDS system already.

I'm going for mkiv R32 front brakes and golf rears as the brake upgrade so it stays oem but with much more braking ability.  I'm waiting for booking confirmation to have a custom intercooler and radiator made, and im sorted for forge intake.  

Not sure how far to take the power though as no ones really sure of the limits on the fuelling yet and with most of the Cupras having issues on SCN its a bit daunting.

Hurdy whats you aims for the Polo then?  Performance wise im after 200Hp/ton.  Other than that im just after cheap track days and running costs.  You'll be amazed at the economy once you've put a few miles on them even when your pelting it.  I reckon mine is a good 10mpg better in every scenario to what my Octavia was driven like for like.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:33:46 am by Janner_Sy »