Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2689982 times)

Offline Grevling89

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12570 on: January 30, 2023, 08:02:00 pm »
So when changing drop links for the MOT I found an old PCV valve in the front bumper, owned the car two years and even had a cambelt change at VW and never been picked up before or heard a thing while driving.

Free PCV valve! Wohoo!
2007 MK V - Pearl Black - 5 door - Happily stock

Offline smilespergallon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
« Reply #12571 on: January 30, 2023, 09:39:01 pm »
I changed the fuel filter on my Edition 30 today.

I've never done it before, and there were a number of threads on this forum that I found helpful when it came to replacing it, so I thought I'd share my experience.

Why did you change the fuel filter?

The car is 15 years old, and I've owned it for 10 years, and there was no record of the fuel filter having been changed at any point.

The fuel filter is not a serviceable item according to Volkswagen. However, a number of people have said they experienced an improvement after replacing it, so I thought I'd give it a go.

How did you change the fuel filter?

The fuel filter is just in front of the rear-right wheel underneath the car. It's a small metal cylinder. It's connected by 3 rubber hoses (2 at the back and 1 at the front), and it sits inside a plastic bracket. So removing it is just a matter of disconnecting the 3 hoses, and unscrewing a single screw for the bracket. Installing the new one is the reverse. Easy enough.

To get access to the fuel filter I jacked up the car at the rear-right wheel. Annoyingly the pinch weld is pretty much in line with the fuel filter, which means the axle stand gets in your way a bit, so for easier access I took the wheel off.

I started with the two hoses at the back of the filter. To remove them I pushed in the tabs, and then pulled the hoses off. This is easier said than done, as the tabs can be a little stiff. I pushed in the tabs with a flat-head screwdriver, then wiggled the hoses to get them off. A fair amount petrol came out when I disconnected the first hose, and it caught me off guard, but it wasn't an unmanageable amount and I decided to hold off on lighting a cigarette.

I then unscrewed the bracket holding the fuel filter. This was so that it could move freely and give me better access to the final hose. Strangely there was a small strip of plastic holding the bracket together, which prevented me from opening it up completely. I've not seen before on any tutorials, so I ended up just cutting it with a knife so that I could open the bracket up fully. I'm not going to miss it, as the screw does the job of holding the bracket together anyway.

Now on to disconnecting the last hose, which was the hardest part.

Basically, for the first two hoses, the tabs were on the bottom and facing me, which made it easy to push them in. But the tab for this last hose is on the opposite side (on the top). So to push it in you either need a strong, slender, dextrous finger, or some sort of curved tool that can loop around the line and push the tab in from the other side. I ended up using the coat-hanger-shaped hook on my plastic torch, which worked like a charm. Whilst the tab was pressed in, I pried the line of with the flat-head screwdriver and off it came, finally.

Note: As a tip, you can see if the tab is being pushed in by looking at the small square hole on the side of the connector -- you should be able to see the tab being depressed via this hole if you look carefully.

Anyway, getting this last connector off is probably going to be the difference between a 20-minute job and an 60-minute job. From my experience the key is finding the right tool to help you press in the top tab.

How long did it take?

It took me about 90 minutes altogether.

However, I did take the wheel off to get better access to the fuel filter, and I was pretty leisurely with disconnecting the hoses.

I think if you're better at cars than me (so most people) I'm sure you could do it in 30 minutes or less.

Did replacing the fuel filter make a difference to how the car drives?

Yes, I noticed the difference very quickly after taking it for a test drive.

The car felt a bit more "alive". It's not like I gained 100bhp out of nowhere or anything, but I felt like I "freed" the car up a little.

Either way, I'm glad I took the time to replace the fuel filter. For the sake of £20 and an hour of your time, I'd say it's worth it, especially if the fuel filter hasn't been replaced in a long time.

When was the fuel filter last replaced?

Based on the date on the old fuel filter it looks like it was last replaced in 2014 for some reason. No idea why. Must have been during a service at the VW dealership, which would have been 7 years in to the car's life.

Tip: I wrote the current mileage and date on the new fuel filter.

So the old fuel filter was 9 years old and had roughly 90,000 miles worth of fuel put through it. Looking forward to putting 90,000 miles through this new one.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 66
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #12572 on: January 31, 2023, 01:55:19 pm »
Great write up, when I had my Ed30 one changed it was date stamped 2007, it had what best can be described as mud inside it!

Offline skkane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12573 on: January 31, 2023, 03:49:06 pm »
Got rid of the previous owners wasasasa spacer, changed the DV from a rev D to the rev G and hit 280k kms.  :drinking:

2007 ED30

Offline smilespergallon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12574 on: February 02, 2023, 10:39:37 pm »
Replaced the cam follower today.

The car has done 130,000 miles and I have no record of the cam follower being replaced at any point. Better late than never.

I'm no mechanic, but in fairness it didn't look too bad. Or at least it didn't look like it was about to explode. Glad I changed it for peace of mind if nothing else.

The car is stock though, so I've probably only been nursing that old cam follower all these years.

And in case you're wondering, the Edition 30 doesn't have the dreaded banjo bolt. You just unclip two sensors, unscrew three T30 bolts, and unscrew one 17mm fuel line, then you can just bend the high-pressure fuel pump out with that final rubber line still attached. Hardest part is getting the f*cking engine cover back on.

Offline deltawing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #12575 on: February 05, 2023, 03:42:01 pm »

Oil and filter, fuel filter and diverter valve replaced

Offline smilespergallon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12576 on: February 05, 2023, 05:57:32 pm »

Nice. Do you feel much of a difference after changing the fuel filter and diverter valve?

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #12577 on: February 06, 2023, 11:19:46 am »
Oil and filter change. I used liqimoly stuff for a change.

Offline skkane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12578 on: February 07, 2023, 12:16:44 am »
Had a bad LPFP that was dropping to 2.5 bars when hot, cutting power suddently... felt really bad and dangerous. It was an italian Meat & Doria...:fighting: Got a new VDO Continental unit and also changed the fuel filter and that HPFP pressure senzor. Car runs smooth as silk now.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 12:20:57 am by skkane »
2007 ED30

Offline deltawing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #12579 on: February 11, 2023, 02:21:09 pm »

Nice. Do you feel much of a difference after changing the fuel filter and diverter valve?

I'm not sure the diverter valve is making any difference as the C revision I took off looked in perfect condition inside. The fuel filter though has improved throttle response and the car feels very smooth accelerating now, was a bit fiddly to get off but a small allen key using it as a hook did the trick for larger hose. Definitely worth the effort, I just did it when the front of the car was on axle stands for the oil change.

Offline skkane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12580 on: February 12, 2023, 06:12:49 pm »
I checked the cam follower and ended up with Niagara Falls  :signLOL:

2007 ED30

Offline smilespergallon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12581 on: February 14, 2023, 07:59:19 pm »
While the exhaust was off I thought I'd get started with changing the rear anti roll bar bushes and drop links.

The first drop link came off without too much trouble. There are only two screws holding them in, but they're the kind where you have to get a spanner around the nut, and then hold the center of the screw to keep it from turning with a 5mm hex bit or triple square bit (might have been 4mm triple square, the bolts were actually different on both sides for me). They were also rusted up to the nines for good measure.

The top screw was trickiest because there was less space due to the caliper being in the way, and I had to hammer it out with a punch because it was sat in very tightly, but I got there in the end.

The second drop link is currently proving to be a nightmare as I can't get the nut off the lower screw. So I've just taken the entire anti-roll bar off for now as I'm going to be replacing the bushes anyway.

I'm currently in the process of rounding off the last nut on the remaining drop link, but hopefully an overnight WD-40 bath will give it some encouragement. If not, angle grinder it is.

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #12582 on: February 16, 2023, 03:00:09 pm »
My GTI front grill was faded as was the lower grill… the red strip lacquer was pealing and turning pink, the GTI Badge chrome had seen better days. So I decided to change the lot.

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 03:07:48 pm by GreigC »

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12583 on: February 16, 2023, 04:26:42 pm »
 :happy2:Such a massive difference from something fairly minor

My GTI front grill was faded as was the lower grill… the red strip lacquer was pealing and turning pink, the GTI Badge chrome had seen better days. So I decided to change the lot.

Before:

After:

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12584 on: February 16, 2023, 05:17:08 pm »
I checked the cam follower and ended up with Niagara Falls 
Did you fix it? Looks like the fuel outlet fitting was loose or the sealing washer, once between the pump and fitting, is missing.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1