Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2613040 times)

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12645 on: June 07, 2023, 02:28:34 pm »
Swapped out my DSG paddles for SEAT ones. No idea why but couldn’t get them to work as they should have been plug and play. I didn’t give up and in the end I physically swapped out the paddles and mounted on the original VW switch and controller following the guide I found on this forum to install the OSIR DSG paddles (https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7170.0)

Haven’t checked whether it lights up the + and - like the original ones but at least these work.

If anyone wants to do same part numbers for the SEAT paddles are

6J0951527A
6J0951528A

I bought these 2nd hand as the paddles themselves (without the steering wheel) but were advertised as SEAT Ibiza 6J paddles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 02:32:47 pm by fakie1977 »

Offline jacksosi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12646 on: June 07, 2023, 07:57:41 pm »
The AC stopped working...had a local mobile guy out to test the system. There was a big leak at the pressure switch, which although a cheap part (£40) was a bit of a bugger to get to labour-wise and he had to go and get the part and then fit it and regas the system...anyway, £300 later, it's ice-cold again  :happy2:.

Black MkV Gti (Nov 2008), no modifications

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #12647 on: June 08, 2023, 04:42:06 pm »
Swapped out my DSG paddles for SEAT ones. No idea why but couldn’t get them to work as they should have been plug and play. I didn’t give up and in the end I physically swapped out the paddles and mounted on the original VW switch and controller following the guide I found on this forum to install the OSIR DSG paddles (https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7170.0)

Haven’t checked whether it lights up the + and - like the original ones but at least these work.

If anyone wants to do same part numbers for the SEAT paddles are

6J0951527A
6J0951528A

I bought these 2nd hand as the paddles themselves (without the steering wheel) but were advertised as SEAT Ibiza 6J paddles

I’ve done the same thing. Physically swapping the paddles by removing the hinge pins is a bit fiddly but it means that you know your micro switches will still work. The + and - symbols do light up 👍 I managed to buy a complete wheel with the paddles, took them off, then sold the wheel on for more than I got it for originally. An eBay win 👍
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 04:44:56 pm by GilesWoodward59 »
Edition 30 - No. 1233

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12648 on: June 08, 2023, 04:48:15 pm »
MoT and service today. Second year in a row with a pass first time + no advisories. Thats the first time I’ve had 2 on the bounce in nearly 20 years of multiple car ownership. Are testers getting less stringent (different garages used)?
Edition 30 - No. 1233

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12649 on: June 09, 2023, 11:24:27 am »
Pre-cat delete carried out by my local garage - what a difference!!  :driver:

Interestingly the exhaust doesn’t sound much louder, which I thought it might.
Edition 30 - No. 1233

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
« Reply #12650 on: June 09, 2023, 02:34:53 pm »
Finally got around to fitting new drivers window switches, got them off eBay months ago so I've left it too long for a refund. I don't know what is more annoying/funny. The passenger switch not lighting up or the fact they are green....

Offline jaffa

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 44
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90080.0.html
« Reply #12651 on: June 10, 2023, 10:00:40 am »
Tried to wipe my windscreen and my wiper motor decided to fail. Now it doesn’t do a full wipe and moves extremely slowly.
What’s the go to replacement for this? Anyone know?

Offline BillyTahir

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • ED30 #1011
    • Email
« Reply #12652 on: June 11, 2023, 12:43:41 am »
Finally got around to fitting new drivers window switches, got them off eBay months ago so I've left it too long for a refund. I don't know what is more annoying/funny. The passenger switch not lighting up or the fact they are green....

The smd or led has probably burnt out maybe

Offline K03MK5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12653 on: June 11, 2023, 10:38:35 pm »
Replaced Wing Mirror Indicator and fitted an RCD 330.  Thanks YouTube......

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12654 on: June 12, 2023, 09:02:41 pm »
Put a cheap lip on

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #12655 on: June 12, 2023, 09:31:26 pm »
Look at that shine :congrats:

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12656 on: June 12, 2023, 11:02:43 pm »
Gave it a polish and wax last week that was just a quick was today

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12657 on: June 17, 2023, 10:27:55 am »

Changed plugs today oil filter and oil coils look a bit rusty /burnt on couple . Going to do the cam follower all videos I e seen on doing it have the rubber hose next to it mine has the metal pipe

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12658 on: June 17, 2023, 10:07:14 pm »
Since picking up my Mk5 I’ve always kicked myself for not checking that the heated seats worked. I only made sure that it had them as part of the spec that was a must for me. I’ve been on the lookout for some decent condition seats to replace mine with and managed to find some brand new heated seat covers for both front seats this week and today have started to get them fitted up.

The new covers…

Considering the car is now sitting at just over 100k I didn’t think the condition of the current seats was too bad…this is the driver’s seat…

But when I had the seat base cover off and compared with the new one it’s age is clearly showing…

The seat base foam is in generally pretty good nick apart from a small tear on the outer bolster. I used some adhesive to close up the tear and put on a patch of adhesive backed padding with the edges trimmed at an angle so it is less obvious when all fitted back up.

You can see where the original heating elements had burnt out on the foam and on the back of the seat cover…also part numbers are the same but a different / later version for the new ones….you can just about make out that the heating elements are arranged slightly differently…

So far I’ve got the seat base on the drivers seat done and it’s looking pretty decent. Stopped at that to give the car a clean and put away in the garage. Will likely get the backrest done tomorrow…here is how the seat base is looking…

Sorry for the long post!!

Edit to add final pictures now it’s all done and pleased that I finally have a working heated seat…even if the weather isn’t calling for it!!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 11:40:27 am by Birchy »

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #12659 on: June 18, 2023, 11:49:10 am »
Since picking up my Mk5 I’ve always kicked myself for not checking that the heated seats worked. I only made sure that it had them as part of the spec that was a must for me. I’ve been on the lookout for some decent condition seats to replace mine with and managed to find some brand new heated seat covers for both front seats this week and today have started to get them fitted up.

The new covers…

Considering the car is now sitting at just over 100k I didn’t think the condition of the current seats was too bad…this is the driver’s seat…

But when I had the seat base cover off and compared with the new one it’s age is clearly showing…

The seat base foam is in generally pretty good nick apart from a small tear on the outer bolster. I used some adhesive to close up the tear and put on a patch of adhesive backed padding with the edges trimmed at an angle so it is less obvious when all fitted back up.

You can see where the original heating elements had burnt out on the foam and on the back of the seat cover…also part numbers are the same but a different / later version for the new ones….you can just about make out that the heating elements are arranged slightly differently…

So far I’ve got the seat base on the drivers seat done and it’s looking pretty decent. Stopped at that to give the car a clean and put away in the garage. Will likely get the backrest done tomorrow…here is how the seat base is looking…

Sorry for the long post!!

Edit to add final pictures now it’s all done and pleased that I finally have a working heated seat…even if the weather isn’t calling for it!!

That’s impressive! How much were the covers if you don’t mind me asking?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 12:53:35 pm by GreigC »