Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2690200 times)

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12510 on: October 05, 2022, 10:26:19 pm »
Gave car a little wash today

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12511 on: October 05, 2022, 10:27:08 pm »

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12512 on: October 05, 2022, 10:28:44 pm »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #12513 on: October 07, 2022, 11:55:59 am »
Another 30K miles done, another set of tyres.

Off with the Eagle F1 SuperSports and on with Continental Premium Contact 6.

I know this will shock and horrify the forum, but I used Kwik-Fit  :grin: 

Well.....they were the cheapest by far, and only 1 mile from my house, so I swung by this morning on the way into work. To the amazement of the nation, not only did they jack the car up in the correct place, they didn't airgun the wheel bolts back on, they didn't screw up the wheel balancing, and they didn't try and up sell me an MOT or some wiper blades. Amazing! What has happened to them?!!! :surprised:

It's early days yet but after only 80 miles, I'm already preferring the Contis over the F1s.  Quieter, just as grippy and much more comfortable.  The only difference that's immediately obvious is the stiffness of the sidewalls in the corners....but that is why the F1s are so harsh.  I would put the Prem 6 somewhere between the PS4 and Assymetric.

All these premium tyres are so close in terms of grip now, I would just go with what ever's cheaper rather focussing on one brand/model.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline akbarirfan

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #12514 on: October 09, 2022, 10:10:05 pm »
New front pads fitted, Brembo one's, feel very nice.

Removed most of the rear bumper, couldn't undo the passenger quarter to bumper screw, fully rounded. I was able to pull the bumper back enough to expose the drivers side vent which is letting water in. Removed the bumper bracket, cleaned the area and then siliconed the surround. I really hope that's sorted it.

Another job whilst doing the brakes was the passenger side drop link, still a work in progress, hoping to complete this tomorrow now that I've borrowed an angle grinder. I managed to get both nuts lose after an hour of trying, however the lower one started spinning and my bit to hold it in place snapped inside the socket!!! I think this job would be easier on a manual as you could probably get and impact wrench in there. The DSG box blocks the access.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #12515 on: October 10, 2022, 12:15:35 am »

Well.....they were the cheapest by far, and only 1 mile from my house, so I swung by this morning on the way into work. To the amazement of the nation, not only did they jack the car up in the correct place, they didn't airgun the wheel bolts back on, they didn't screw up the wheel balancing, and they didn't try and up sell me an MOT or some wiper blades. Amazing! What has happened to them?!!! :surprised:

It's early days yet but after only 80 miles, I'm already preferring the Contis over the F1s.  Quieter, just as grippy and much more comfortable.  The only difference that's immediately obvious is the stiffness of the sidewalls in the corners....but that is why the F1s are so harsh.  I would put the Prem 6 somewhere between the PS4 and Assymetric.

All these premium tyres are so close in terms of grip now, I would just go with what ever's cheaper rather focussing on one brand/model.

How much were they a pop Pudding?
Think The PS4s will need changing in next few months. Funnily enough was thinking about the F1s  if they were cheaper the the PS4s, but if they're a firmer ride then maybe that's a no go.....

Would be good to get another update on the Contis when you've done more miles.  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12516 on: October 10, 2022, 09:49:34 am »

How much were they a pop Pudding?
Think The PS4s will need changing in next few months. Funnily enough was thinking about the F1s  if they were cheaper the the PS4s, but if they're a firmer ride then maybe that's a no go.....

Would be good to get another update on the Contis when you've done more miles.  :happy2:

£340 for the set mate, which was the deal my local Kwik-Fit offered. Conti Premium Contact 6. 225/40/18 Y XL.  Went with a slightly cheaper Y speed rating this time as W is pointless on a car only capable of 150ish  :grin:

First time in the rain this morning and about 150 miles covered since fitment and yeah, I'm loving them.  All of that horrible jiggly and harsh rideness I mentioned after fitting the B4s and H&R springs, yeah, that was purely down to the worn out F1s, and not the Eibach ARBs as I suspected.

The Premium 6 isn't as sporty in the corners as the PS4 or F1 SuperSport but if you want something reasonably priced, quiet, grippy and rides well, you can't go wrong  :happy2:

I wouldn't recommend the F1 SuperSport for daily drivers be honest.  It's too close to a semi-track tyre than it is a road tyre, therefore the compromises don't suit a commuting car imo.  But if you want the best performance in the corners and don't mind the pitfalls, then there's nothing better for the price.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12517 on: October 15, 2022, 11:43:15 am »
Cam follower today.

Went all cheap on it this time around, but INA are an OEM supplier, so no biggy. Just to be sure I did a fake check. I got the digital calipers out and compared to the genuine one.  All good  :happy2: 

Much cheaper than the price of oem kits.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383838454353?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338723872&toolid=20006&customid=nyZ_LagSAAAAsLU1WrqvH7QC0J0GAAAAAA

Whilst the calipers were out, I did a wear measurement.  Including the DLC wear and the contact patch inside the follower wear the HPFP piston presses onto, there was getting on for 0.5mm total wear compared to a new one.  Doesn't sound a lot, but the total piston stroke is only about 5.5mm, so you can understand how worn out followers can affect fuelling in boost.

I also noticed the HPFP O ring was getting plasticky and flattened off, so a potential air leak into the crankcase.  So always replace the O rings!

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12518 on: October 15, 2022, 12:16:56 pm »
I have always been nervous of ordering parts from Latvia and the suchlike...you have restored my faith though. There always seem to be good prices, but clearly you thought about the level of fake items out there too...very easy for a Chinese company to make up a genuine looking box for their parts...if I am buying Chinese ( my exhaust etc.) I don’t mind so long as it isn’t pretending to be something it isn’t!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12519 on: October 15, 2022, 01:07:33 pm »

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #12520 on: October 16, 2022, 10:08:02 am »
Ah my bad, I posted the wrong link! The one I got was this, from a UK supplier, and even cheaper  :smiley:

I used to be oem only with my car, but now it’s closing in on 200k, I don’t care anymore  :grin:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjJ9vPlrcH6AhXa7u0KHTRSDRQYABAfGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAASJuRouCEOfrQMKWjEqR4HGklXYrY00A3dmUthXJxj9Vgty1sCV6Zc&sig=AOD64_3OHvrBTu8LdBPLn2pNTSErPJOWYg&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiz6ezlrcH6AhU1SUEAHTFtCPIQwg8oAHoECAQQZw&dct=1&adurl=

Coverdale are pretty good on parts prices, maybe not as cheap as TPS but for those that haven't got a friendly TPS they are cheaper than (normal) main dealer prices and also offer pattern options as Pudding has listed.

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12521 on: October 21, 2022, 06:30:41 pm »
Bought this about four weeks ago and have since swapped out the good bits from my Golf.
Swapped the recirc valve, rear shocks and springs, battery and some minor bits, got the front complete shocks to swap out.

It came with new pads, discs and recent service, but I've done an oil change, air and oil filters, coolant flush and refill plus DSG transmision oil change so far.
Need to th

Will be selling the Golf in the coming weeks once all sorted.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12522 on: October 22, 2022, 05:26:53 pm »
Annual bath and MOT both done. It passed with no advisories, which surprised me given it's rather chunky 176K miles on the clock.

What surprises me more is how clean it always comes up after, literally only washing it once a year. As a special treat for passing, it even got a vacuum  :surprised: :grin:

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12523 on: October 22, 2022, 07:23:42 pm »
Had a look today to see why my drivers door speaker wasn't working. Found the problem now working again.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12524 on: October 22, 2022, 07:53:50 pm »
I've got a fault code on my passenger bass speaker, so I'll check the wires, cheers  :happy2:  Pretty mad the diagnostics checks the speaker connections!