Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2690101 times)

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 50
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12540 on: November 14, 2022, 09:22:22 am »
Busy weekend for me on both Golfs. The wife's 1.6 FSI had a couple of errors

17439 - Intake Manifold Tuning, Valve (N316)
         P1031 - 008 Setpoint not reached
and

16706 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
         P0322 - 004 - No Signal - Intermittent

So dismantled the intake side of the engine and everything attached as it is impossible to otherwise change this speed sensor.  Changed the sensor blind due to its position and for additional fun it was an angled part with its bolt being the same, but got there  :rolleye:  After that I noticed why the Intake Mani valve error popped up, as the vacuum pipe to control the flaps had disintegrated.....so a new pipe on there and back to full health, before also needing a new battery :rolleye:

Then on my GTI I changed the engine mount as I had been noticing some knocking noises and the other two had been dealt with already, swapped that out for a Febi one that had the majority of the VAG part numbers and logos ground off with new genuine bolts added for peace of mind ........now the engine is sitting a lot higher and level.

I also put the car into winter mode by taking the BBS rims off and put the black Cades on.......much easier to clean as the weather gets worse.

I hope that is it for a while  :grin: TOUCHING SOME WOOD!!!
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #12541 on: November 14, 2022, 09:39:42 am »
@Pudding Those clip pliers make removing the clips soo easy! Everyone should own a pair.

Bought a pair recently, no more fear of the clip pinging off into my eyes.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #12542 on: December 03, 2022, 03:07:39 pm »
Oil service on the new daily.  BMW's service schedule is 18,000 miles or 2 years  :stupid:  Screw that.  I'm doing it every 6000  :smiley:

Still got loads of Platinum Plus 5W40 in the shed, so shoved that in, making it one VERY cheap service  :grin:  Much cheaper than BMW's £20 per litre sh1tty rebranded Castrol rubbish, and the engine takes 6.5 litres.

Easiest air and oil filter change ever on these cars, literally 3 minutes to do both. Love it!

Grubby old air filter.  Last changed 20K ago, I mean, WTF BMW, seriously? Your servicing regime is ridiculous  :grin:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 03:12:53 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 66
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #12543 on: December 03, 2022, 08:30:15 pm »
Got rid of the Ed30 then Kev?

Whats the new daily apart from a BMW  :signLOL:

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12544 on: December 03, 2022, 09:09:06 pm »
Nearly finished the brake upgrades (just braided rear lines to fit) I’ve gone from standard GTi brakes to the Macan/Q5 fronts with 345mm discs and R32/S3 rears. Still bedding in but feeling good so far. Fronts were done a couple of weeks ago and finished the rears today. Made up new hard pipes from the Calipers to the first flexi hose as the old ones snapped in normal fashion at the ends. Bleeding for a decent pedal is definitely a 2 person job…even with a pressure bleeder!

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #12545 on: December 03, 2022, 11:00:49 pm »
@Pudding Those clip pliers make removing the clips soo easy! Everyone should own a pair.

Bought a pair recently, no more fear of the clip pinging off into my eyes.

Got a link for those please mate?

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12546 on: December 03, 2022, 11:20:46 pm »
No pics but a couple of weeks ago had some ATE 340mm discs fitted to replace the warped Brembos as it turned out.
So after have warped rear Brembo discs and now fronts, safe to say Brembo discs won't be on my shopping list ever again.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12548 on: December 04, 2022, 10:06:42 am »
 :happy2:

Offline kam760

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • On the search for an edition 30.
  • My Ride: On the search for one...
« Reply #12549 on: December 04, 2022, 11:03:42 am »
Tell us more

330e?

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12550 on: December 05, 2022, 07:08:44 pm »
Just ordered new alloys not sure how there going to look and went for 17s

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12551 on: December 05, 2022, 07:22:26 pm »

Interested to see how this ends up! What colour car are they going on?

Offline Dogg1210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12552 on: December 05, 2022, 07:55:18 pm »

This one

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12553 on: December 09, 2022, 11:02:05 pm »
Got rid of the Ed30 then Kev?

Whats the new daily apart from a BMW  :signLOL:

Still got the MK6 TDI as a secondary daily, which I love  :smiley: :pomppomp:  That car is a proper bomb proof 55mpg do anything super robust mega mega car  :happy2:  I actually preferred driving that over Edward 30 tbh.  Just as Freddy Mercury once sung, "too much love will kill you", and so it is with MK5s, "too many mods will kill them".

Yeah Mr Edward 30 had to go unfortunately.  We had a great love/hate 8 year relationship but in the end, he was tired, very tired, and he wanted to go to sleep, permanently.....much like how I feel at 6am every morning when I join an endless snake of sh1tty traffic, which Edward really wasn't suited for. Thanks in no small part to my foolish decision to fit a ridiculously heavy aftermarket clutch, which caused 2 break downs in the most hideously busy and embarrassing of places.

Why did I get a 3 series? Well, I really wanted a car with the ZF 8 speed auto for the daily grind, and a diesel for economy, because 20K a year......whether that be a BMW, Jaguar, Audi, or Alfa or whatever, they all use the same box and all have decent diesel engines....but in the end, BMW's diesels are the best, and linked up to the ZF8, it was a no brainer really.

Blue wasn't my first choice as every other 3 series seems to be Estoril blue, I was after gun metal or black, but because you get f'ck all on BMWs as standard, the original buyer of Mr Blue Sky had raided the M Sport chassis and brakes parts bin, and also the Harman Kardon stereo bin, and the adaptive LED headlights bin, plus some other guff BMW make you pay extra for, it was a no brainer really.

It makes for a great daily and 50mpg is a massive improvement on Edwards 27mpg, not to mention 413lb/ft at 1500rpm, but he's no Edward in the corners though, which I miss, but Blue Sky makes up for it in other areas  :smiley:

Anyway, that was a long winded way of saying, welcome Mr Blue Sky.  I'm not going anywhere though. I will still be on here regularly to moderate, offer pearls of wisdom, waffle on for hours and generally talk sh1t  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12554 on: December 09, 2022, 11:11:31 pm »

Very nice. They remind me of the old RH Alurad ZW1 wheels, which looked fantastic on MK5s  :happy2:  I used to have some and I can tell you the polished lips corrode to f'ck very quickly, so you'll be wanting to keep on top of the waxing and minimising winter salt driving.