Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2692517 times)

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #2490 on: November 14, 2012, 10:11:09 pm »

Kalpsn2000 we need to some pictures!
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #2491 on: November 14, 2012, 10:44:30 pm »

Kalpsn2000 we need to some pictures!

Yeah should have taken some earlier. But I have managed to temporarily fix the issue by using more duct tape. The permanent fix will be to change one end of the connector.

Will try to get some pics on Friday when I'm up at BCS.

Anyway gave her a wash today and am really loving the bumper and led lights :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

scottm72

« Reply #2492 on: November 14, 2012, 11:33:13 pm »
nearly fooking killed myself today, was on a b road I drive every day and I know it well a tractor was in front of me, was darkish and raining,was doing about 40mph and decided it was safe to overtake,,, as soon as I pulled out well about 1 second later a car came over the hill towards me and I was sure the straight stretch of road was twice as long but obviously I misjudged it, 2 options brake and go backwards or floor it, thankfully I was in third gear, the bl**dy tractor was towing a trailer which made it around 4 times as long,,, in hindsight I wished I had braked and went back to tuck behind but I had a split second to decide and floored it to try and get past it.
must have went from 40mph to around 70 or 80 in the matter of a couple of seconds, thankfully it was slight decline, the car coming towards me flashed like crazy and the wife was saying her hail Mary's,,, just managed to get in front of the tractor and I tell you there must have been inches to spare between me swiping that and hitting the oncoming car.
I have driven for 20 years and had a few in my time - not near misses but hairy moments like we all prob have but im always carefull with things like this, and never speed around like an idiot.
this was the biggest misjudgement ever,,,,, was so damn close.
fealing stupid as f**k after that I tell you,,,,
such a bad situation

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2493 on: November 14, 2012, 11:36:13 pm »
I travelled down a country road last night and despite knowing it well, it was difficult to judge the distances etc without full beams on.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #2494 on: November 15, 2012, 04:08:20 am »
nearly fooking killed myself today, was on a b road I drive every day and I know it well a tractor was in front of me, was darkish and raining,was doing about 40mph and decided it was safe to overtake,,, as soon as I pulled out well about 1 second later a car came over the hill towards me and I was sure the straight stretch of road was twice as long but obviously I misjudged it, 2 options brake and go backwards or floor it, thankfully I was in third gear, the bl**dy tractor was towing a trailer which made it around 4 times as long,,, in hindsight I wished I had braked and went back to tuck behind but I had a split second to decide and floored it to try and get past it.
must have went from 40mph to around 70 or 80 in the matter of a couple of seconds, thankfully it was slight decline, the car coming towards me flashed like crazy and the wife was saying her hail Mary's,,, just managed to get in front of the tractor and I tell you there must have been inches to spare between me swiping that and hitting the oncoming car.
I have driven for 20 years and had a few in my time - not near misses but hairy moments like we all prob have but im always carefull with things like this, and never speed around like an idiot.
this was the biggest misjudgement ever,,,,, was so dmn close.
such a bad situation

I did the same thing once and the damn thing went into F'n limp mode right in the middle of the pass. I no longer could get around the tractor-trailer so all I could do was  to apply the brakes FIRMLY!

Today I went home and polished out the scratches someone kindly left on the front bumper...nice, right?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:11:47 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #2495 on: November 15, 2012, 08:02:29 am »
such a bad situation

One of the main reason I went stage 2, being able to overtake quicker and safer

The other reason was for taking the car on a track but I still have ARBs and better brakes to fit before I take the car on track

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #2496 on: November 15, 2012, 08:10:41 am »
such a bad situation

The other reason was for taking the car on a track but I still have ARBs and better brakes to fit before I take the car on track

C'mon baz! We all know you went stage 2 to impress the ladies!  :P

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2497 on: November 15, 2012, 08:22:45 am »

such a bad situation

....I have to say respect to you for admitting your mistake so publicly amongst us all who generally consider that we are all better drivers than that.

The big lesson is that we can all learn from our mistakes - But only when we accept that we have made a mistake in the first place. You have got to base camp on that one  :happy2:

The fact that you know the road may have contributed to your misjudgement because it may have made you feel over relaxed. The combination of darkish and raining (poor visibility) plus B-road and tractors, is not a good recipe and requires extra special care - You can't afford to relax nor to be anything other than very patient when confronted with a slow vehicle to overtake.

One tip I can offer you is to always hang back from the vehicle you want to overtake and do so close to or even overhanging the central white line (providing only that it's a broken line) - If you can't see the vehicle's wing mirrors then he can't see you and also you avoid suddenly pulling out for your overtake slightly blind of what traffic is approaching. A performance car is potentially safer because it can get past from further back when maximising the view ahead. Also, your braking distance is improved in the event of the vehicle in front of you suddenly braking for a reason you can't possibly have anticipated.

Did the approaching car have their lights on (I know they flashed them)? It's always much more difficult to judge distances and speeds of other vehicles in the dark. You have to be 'more than 100%' certain before any overtake and also realise that there are many idiots out there who only think they should switch on any lights if they can't see well enough - They don't realise that they need to be seen by other drivers!

At least with a good performance car like the GTI, you have the acceleration and power to complete an overtake quickly from further back.

Personally, I never relax while driving and do my utmost to stay 100% focussed - It's why I don't ever play the radio or music while driving and every passenger of mine quickly learns that I can suddenly not be listening to them and they may have to repeat what they were saying.

Making a mistake (and surviving!) can be good for you as it's a wake-up call. Lesson learnt. Glad you and your family are okay  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2498 on: November 15, 2012, 08:25:13 am »
such a bad situation

C'mon baz! We all know you went stage 2 to impress the ladies!  :P

I'm too old for women that are impressed by fast cars and loud exhausts  :jumpmove:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #2499 on: November 15, 2012, 08:25:26 am »

.... x 2

I couldn't agree more  :happy2:.

And with power, comes responsibility.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #2500 on: November 15, 2012, 08:28:13 am »

I'm too old for women that are impressed by fast cars and loud exhausts  :jumpmove:

....Tut-tut! Take it from me as an OAP that, if single and free to mingle, you are NEVER too old to impress those ladies who are impressed by fast cars and the sound of a throbbin' engine! And especially impressed by red cars!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:31:00 am by RedRobin »

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2501 on: November 15, 2012, 08:32:13 am »

I'm too old for women that are impressed by fast cars and loud exhausts  :jumpmove:

....Tut-tut! Take it from me as an OAP that, if single and free to mingle, you are NEVER too old to impress those ladies who are impressed by fast cars and the sound of a throbbin' engine!

There isn't much women over 25 that seem to be impressed by a throbbing engine or darth Vadar having an asthma attack under my bonnet :jumping:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #2502 on: November 15, 2012, 08:50:38 am »

....Tut-tut! Take it from me as an OAP that, if single and free to mingle, you are NEVER too old to impress those ladies who are impressed by fast cars and the sound of a throbbin' engine!

There isn't much women over 25 that seem to be impressed by a throbbing engine or darth Vadar having an asthma attack under my bonnet :jumping:

.....I agree that they are rare but they are out there. I know a few female car enthusiasts over 25, and the oldest is a very good friend in her 50's - She's German and her dad was a racing mechanic and was one of Mr Hitler's personal drivers, so it's probably in her genes. The Hitler job was 'invited' and one it was wise not to refuse! It kept him away from such battlefields as the Russian Front too.

I don't know her personally unfortunately, but don't forget Sticky Vicky Butler-Henderson  :notworthy:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #2503 on: November 15, 2012, 09:44:21 am »
such a bad situation

Im really glad all is ok with you and yours and more to the point good on you for admitting your mistake/misjudgement and reminding all of us how easily and quickly these things can happen. I could start with a "tut tut, you should have known better" but that would be hypocritical of me as its happened to me on several occasions over the years and as such it has (i hope) made me a safer, more patient and hopefully a better driver.  :happy2:

I regularly travel (and have done for many years) on a 20 mile long, very winding, undulating, tree lined and perpetually dark country road, albeit a major A road (the A281 from Horsham to Guildford) and often get disoriented as to where I am along the route causing a few hairy moments of misjudged overtaking attempts.   :ashamed:

.....I agree that they are rare but they are out there. I know a few female car enthusiasts over 25, and the oldest is a very good friend in her 50's - She's German and her dad was a racing mechanic and was one of Mr Hitler's personal drivers, so it's probably in her genes. The Hitler job was 'invited' and one it was wise not to refuse! It kept him away from such battlefields as the Russian Front too.

You can only wonder of the stories her father must of had.

As to lady car enthusiasts, my dear old mum was in love with the classic cars that her and my father owned and she was always "just going for a drive" allbeit at about 30mph everywhere.  :love:

My wife and and girls on the other hand see cars as boxes on wheels and call me a barking mad idiot for spending money modifying a perfectly good car.  :ashamed:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

scottm72

« Reply #2504 on: November 15, 2012, 11:30:40 am »
thanks guys, especially mc and rr,,, yes I was up for a bit of finger pointing by putting my incident up on the forum but after that happening I fealt it was only right to be honest.
tbh it wasn't really dark, was around 4pm so just getting dull and the car coming the other way did not have his lights on just his flashing,,, incidentally my lights where on as they where set to auto.
nice words from you guys so many many thanks.
if I had bought a micra or something or even been in my old mk4 gti I would have been unable to pass there but tbh I thought it was perfectly safe,,,, as you say guys over familiarisation of the road, darkish, rainish, tractor, also was only half a mile from jet washing my car and the tractor was throwing up muck so that prob influenced me as well.
I really should have braked and pulled behind but my instant thought was that I already had a car close to my behind before I overtook and no doubt when I moved away he would pull into my space behind the tractor so if I braked and went back the space may not have been there and I remember he also had cars behind him so that could have been drastic,,, I would have to have side swiped him off the road.
all that flashed through my mind in about half a second as it does so hence why I floored it,,, if it wasn't for the gti power it would have been a diff story.
other thing was it was my 40th yesterday as well,,, getting old I know,,, not as old as rr though  :drinking:
anyway lesson learned, and tbh this will change my driving for good as red robin says
thanks for your niceness guys  :happy2: