Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2692043 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #2580 on: November 19, 2012, 09:49:52 am »

Yes Robin they are oil resistant. I'm going to do away with my charcoal canister next too as it gets in the way of the catch can too much!

....Good thinking, Batman!

I was a little bit worried about suggesting you should have oil resistant hoses if you didn't have and you had just bought some hoses.

Isn't the charcoal canister needed?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #2581 on: November 19, 2012, 09:59:27 am »

Yes Robin they are oil resistant. I'm going to do away with my charcoal canister next too as it gets in the way of the catch can too much!

I was a little bit worried about suggesting you should have oil resistant hoses if you didn't have and you had just bought some hoses.

Think it's just a breather for the fuel tank? The US and some European cars don't have it I think? Alex - AKS has just removed his and said its fine, pretty easy to do aswell apparently so deffo something to look at..
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #2582 on: November 19, 2012, 10:55:14 am »

Think it's just a breather for the fuel tank? The US and some European cars don't have it I think? Alex - AKS has just removed his and said its fine, pretty easy to do aswell apparently so deffo something to look at..

....As far as I know, the charcoal canister vents out fuel vapours. Its removal may promote engine light warnings and so some kind of workaround will be needed. Also, I don't know how MOT will view this as it has to do with environmental emissions.

For example, your car will fail MOT if it vents the catch can directly to the atmosphere, even through a filter.

But Alex is a man who knows about these things so his views will be helpful...........   :popcornsoda:

Charcoal canister removal thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56806.0/topicseen.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 11:06:44 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c77nd9oaevmprvfig4mk077vns&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2583 on: November 19, 2012, 10:57:21 am »
I bet if you vented the crack case to atmosphere, only the most stringent of MOT testers would even spot it.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #2584 on: November 19, 2012, 11:03:34 am »

I bet if you vented the crack case to atmosphere, only the most stringent of MOT testers would even spot it.

....Possibly so, but it's a risk and I think we should always point out to each other if we foresee any risks.

What's your new sig, Rich?

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #2585 on: November 19, 2012, 05:24:32 pm »
Rich....looks like sig is beginning to crack-up   :signLOL:
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2586 on: November 19, 2012, 05:30:09 pm »
Saturday Morning consisted of this:

Nokyos I bought didn't fit, wrong size so couldn't change the bulbs.

Looks good. Where did you find the Lamin-X for the fogs over there? Hope the fog bulbs come soon. You will appreciate them even more.

You should try some yellow daytime flasher bulbs. They really get more attention when flashed behind the Slow Ones;

Not 100% mate, bought it from online somewhere, arrived in 2-3 days. Think it was £7 for a sheet, that was enough for two lamps with around 3"x5" left over.

I'm planning to change Xenons to Bi-Xenons, plus over here all headlamp bulbs apart from the indicator must be white, so yellow would get attention from the police etc

Looks nice though!

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #2587 on: November 19, 2012, 05:55:43 pm »
Fitted the polo DAB aerial I bought from Eddie the other week to replace the cheap windscreen version I had. So far reception is excellent - see how it is with more use  :happy2:

Any guides to fitting?

I used a guide that someone listed on here - from golfmkv Site i think (the link i have says the site is unavailable so think its down at the moment) which showed how to remove the rear headlining plastic edge by the boot and then undo the side quarter panel screw (behind the airbag symbol). This is done just to make lowering the roof lining a little more a bit easier.

Unscrewing old aerial and replacing with polo one was pretty easy as same size. We then ran the cable along the side of the car - under the floor plastics then up and across at the front to the back of the stereo - and voila  :happy2:

:happy2:

Saintsteve

« Reply #2588 on: November 19, 2012, 06:05:12 pm »
Rich....looks like sig is beginning to crack-up   :signLOL:

I think the Red paint is called "charlatan Red" instead of tornado  :signLOL:

Offline wilmott1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2589 on: November 19, 2012, 09:31:24 pm »
Finally got my custom sub box finished and fitted today.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #2590 on: November 19, 2012, 11:00:18 pm »

I don't have one here in Oregon US. But also don't know what you gain or lose with it. IDK?
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

scottm72

« Reply #2591 on: November 19, 2012, 11:06:02 pm »
Saturday Morning consisted of this:

Nokyos I bought didn't fit, wrong size so couldn't change the bulbs.

Looks good. Where did you find the Lamin-X for the fogs over there? Hope the fog bulbs come soon. You will appreciate them even more.

You should try some yellow daytime flasher bulbs. They really get more attention when flashed behind the Slow Ones;

Not 100% mate, bought it from online somewhere, arrived in 2-3 days. Think it was £7 for a sheet, that was enough for two lamps with around 3"x5" left over.

I'm planning to change Xenons to Bi-Xenons, plus over here all headlamp bulbs apart from the indicator must be white, so yellow would get attention from the police etc

Looks nice though!
those yellow lights look way cool, pity about the legalities, the bi xenons are great, my car has them factory fitted and the illumination when using main beam is - wow,,, especially on country roads when they are enclosed by trees etc as its more for the beam to reflect off,,,, the bi xenons where the reason I bought this car,

scottm72

« Reply #2592 on: November 19, 2012, 11:08:05 pm »
Finally got my custom sub box finished and fitted today.

dude that looks brilliant and very oem,,,, it has been fitted in such an area that makes it look great, I still need my boot for pram etc so would be interested in this mod.
did you make a thread on cost / fitting / price etc ?

scottm72

« Reply #2593 on: November 19, 2012, 11:28:14 pm »
went to polished bliss today in kintore as only 20 miles from me, was expecting something like a mini Halfords or something as they have a fair sized web site, ended up being a tiny lock up in an industrial estate with no logo or anything,,, was a pig to find.
anyway once I got speaking to the owner he knew his stuff, turns out he has a phd in aqua engineering whatever that is  :confused:
anyway I went in to buy some car wax and erm spent £432 lol
man they have a lot of stuff.
got a pre foam kit and suds
have been toying over the rapid dry air blowing thingy to dry the car, cant remember its name
wax
shampoo
mits
wheel extension mits
buckets
ph neutral wheel cleaner for the monzas
and I cant remember what else but I reviewed the air blowing thingy before I went but it is pricey at £199 for an upgraded leaf blower lol
anyway im sick of the time it takes detailing the car and it is a chore apposed to a pleasure especially when the roads are so dirty just now so these products will make it faster and more pleasureable especially the pre foam and the dryer.
I may look at a hot water pressure water system in the future, something similar to the jet wash system at a garage but on a mini scale as would do a so much better job and again make it easier.
now I can enjoy the washing procedure especially the touch free drying system I have now and have more energy left at the end to put a better load of wax on.
yeah went in for shampoo and spent £432 lol,,, tut tut  :drool:

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #2594 on: November 19, 2012, 11:43:34 pm »
that should keep it clean :signLOL:
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides