Make a donation

Author Topic: CPU temperature monitors  (Read 5321 times)

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: CPU temperature monitors
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 09:00:31 am »
Normally the heatsink fan blows air on to the heatsink. That being said, your cpu is running too hot. Is your hsf actually working?
If it was me and the fan was working, I would take the heat sink off, clean off the thermal interface and re-apply some fresh interface.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 09:09:24 am »
Have you taken the computer out of the cupboard to see if the temps drop? What about running prime95?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 05:44:49 pm »
Normally the heatsink fan blows air on to the heatsink. That being said, your cpu is running too hot. Is your hsf actually working?
If it was me and the fan was working, I would take the heat sink off, clean off the thermal interface and re-apply some fresh interface.

HSF??  is that heatsink fan? if so yes that is running fine.  had a look under the heatsink and it looks like there was some substance or gel there originally which isnt anymore.  is that the interface you talk of?  if so il buy some and see how it goes

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 05:45:06 pm »
What about running prime95?
prime 95?

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 05:47:08 pm »

You could remove the heatsink and apply some fresh thermal paste?  It will transfer the heat to the HS more efficiently

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 06:14:36 pm »
HSF??  is that heatsink fan? if so yes that is running fine.  had a look under the heatsink and it looks like there was some substance or gel there originally which isnt anymore.  is that the interface you talk of?  if so il buy some and see how it goes

Yep, sometimes the thermal interface material dries up leading to an overheated cpu. Just a tip, spread the new thermal paste thinly on the cpu only after cleaning up the old stuff.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 06:26:00 pm »
will do it this weekend.  Off to take that tomorrow in wales for a few days so ill be too busy screaming for robbie and the pet shop boys to care about the thermal paste

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 07:33:22 pm »
Places max load on the cpu so you can see how temps fare with whatever you do. I'd start off by move the unit to a more open air environment, see what the temps are like. Then take the panels off and see how the temps respond. It's fairly easy to get a larger fan to plug in to maximise cooling. I've also remoed the fan and cleaned the crap between the fins on the heatsink which improved things markedly.

As above, can get tim cleaner and tim paste from the likes of maplins. Remember to have an old credit card handy. Helps with spreading the tim.

Might be an opportunity to upgrade the cpu to the max supported by the mobo, as well as fit a better aftermarket heatsink and fan.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 08:28:36 pm »
Might be an opportunity to upgrade the cpu to the max supported by the mobo, as well as fit a better aftermarket heatsink and fan.

Fair point.

This is what the ASUS website says about my motherboard and CPU
LGA775 socket for Intel® Core™2 Extreme/ Intel® Core™2 Duo/ Intel® Pentium D/ Intel® Pentium 4/ Intel® Celeron D
Compatible with Intel® 06/05B/05A processors
Support Intel®EM64T/Hyper-Threading Technology

*Only PCB R2.0(or later version) supports FSB 1066 MHz
*Due to chipset limitation, the Intel Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology, C1E, and TM2 are not supported in this model)

Having a look online now for new CPU options.  Dont really have a clue what im looking at.  Seems like the maximum GHZ i can manage is 3.4Ghz or 3.6ghz!!! :scared: :scared:

have really good graphics card, sound card and 4GB DDR2 ram, 2x 150GB HDs, and 2 DVD re-writers, so not really worth while selling up, if i can make the CPU more efficient and improve the cooling.

Only use it for surfing the net, Autocad, Electrical design software and Microsoft office.  Dont play games tbh

Edit--would this one work http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=754
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:32:03 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 09:57:57 pm »
before upgrading, check on the asus site to see if there is a bios update with microcode to recognise that cpu

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 09:58:43 pm »
+1. You'd need a mobo bios flash before it'd support the latest cpus.