Make a donation

Author Topic: Young Newbie!  (Read 2832 times)

Offline nutty600

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Young Newbie!
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:20:09 pm »
Hello people,
I'm in the market for a golf car having just sold my civic EP2 (moving to the dark side:scared: aka boost haha) and with me turning 18 a month ago i'm waiting for the right 1.4 GT TSI 170 to come along!
So just though id post up here and join here as its seems the best uk forum for mk5's (I know mine wont be a GTI, but its the best I can do unfortunately, hope you dont mind :drinking:)

Ideas are to get the car slammed on bags maybe but likely coilovers with some nice BBS RS's to go with it, and an R32 rear end and maybe a jetta/r32 front - bit played out but still the best combo for a mkv imo!
And performance wise hopefully get upto stage 2 mods, maybe further as I plan to have to car for a few years!

Finally anyone on here with a TSI ? and also are there many meets in the North West as i'm in between sunny Southport and Preston!

Thanks guys, and look forward to hearing/meeting you all!

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
Re: Young Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:37:34 pm »
Welcome  :happy2:

Sounds like you have a good plan!

look forward to seeing some pictures as it develops  :smiley:

Offline Jk911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:27:26 pm »
Welcome, good choice , my mate drove a mapped one of these and was well impressed, hope you enjoy!  :jumpmove:

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:57:05 pm »
Hi, good choice of car...  :happy2:

Have you tried for an insurance quote? My brother (also come from a civic) wanted one of these but insurance says no, not even the 140 model. He's 19 and also tried under my dad's name but still said nope.  :confused:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline K1Shane

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:18:10 pm »
Welcome :)

Offline nutty600

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:05:21 am »
Cheers guys! I'm sure ill love the boost alone JK911 ;) haha

Mandy yeah all the insurance is checked out and sorted, just need to get a car now then ring them up to start the cover once I get one! Just debating on weather to got for one with around 50k milage upto 60k so ill have money to mod it straight away or to go for a lower milage one say around 30k ? Anyone had any experience with the life of one of these TSI engines ? Are they still healthy 100k + ?
Cheers one again!

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 12:42:40 pm »
Just out of interest, which insurance companies did you check?  :smiley:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline nutty600

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 02:24:38 pm »
Im on a fleet insurance policy (Farther is a Volvo dealer and i work part time driving and other bits and bobs most weekends) so the TSI will be what's called at "social + private cover" and Im also insured for "business use" on any car that is road legal so long as I have the permission of the owner (aka they know im driving - comes in handy!

So its not the usual generic insurance and I have forgot the company it is with but I can get the name for you and get the underwriters name if its any help ?

Offline mrbeck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 08:42:25 pm »
Hey mate,

TSI 170 is an awesome engine, got one myself in an '08 GT Sport.  I've already got 44k on the clock, split the turbo pipes once, and had a new turbo back in Feb.  Has all been perfect since then.  I'm hoping that if I maintain it properly it'll easily see 100k+.  Not many about at the mo with that kind of mileage though as they are still a fairly new engine, and people driving big miles tend to opt for diesels, despite how frugal the TSI can be (I had 49mpg on a drive down to Oxford t'other week).

I ain't as adventurous as you with the mods though... I've put some 18s on, changed the aerial (pmsl) and am hoping for a Revo remap later in the year.  200bhp+ is easily achieveable on Stage 1!

There's a couple of other TSI owners on here too - I'm sure they'll raise their heads in due course!
2008 VW Golf GT Sport TSI 1.4 (170PS)

OEM + Cruise Control (Retrofit), R36 Omanyt 18" Alloys, R32 Rear Lights, VW Polo Stubby Aerial, VW Front & Rear Mud Guards, Team Heko Wind Deflectors, Dubmeister Pressed Plates, ABT Wolfsburg Plate Surrounds, Autoform Boot Liner.

Offline nutty600

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:13:23 pm »
Yeah, I have heard all the rave reviews about the engine hence my plans to pick one up! Heard a few of the problems all sounds pretty similar to the ones you have mentioned! Hopefully they will be the same trusty vag engines and manage 100k+ easy!

Sounds sweet bud! Yeah revo stage 1 seems to provide great gains for the £!!

Hopefully and cheers for the help and information mate ! :drinking:

Offline Az786

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 09:19:10 pm »
welcome

Offline nutty600

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 01:19:25 am »
Just and update, have now got the car and absolutely love it! It has a mint spec! Ill get a thread going tomorrow with pics etc in it!

Offline sam

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Calibre Connections LLP
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 06:41:50 pm »
Well done matey!!! Nothing like the feeling on driving a new car away!!! Better than sex!  :signLOL: :popcornsoda:

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 06:46:59 pm »
Just and update, have now got the car and absolutely love it! It has a mint spec! Ill get a thread going tomorrow with pics etc in it!

Good work  :happy2:
GTI going...