Make a donation

Author Topic: Possible problems with my digital dash? pics included  (Read 19214 times)

Offline D19 STE

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Possible problems with my digital dash? pics included
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:36:30 pm »
Has anyone on here experienced the following problems with their mk5 golf  :confused:

The bottom of my dash display seems to have suddenly gone very dark, does anyone know what could be causing this  :confused:

Also the MPG part in the picture seems to be all over the place ranging from 5 to 100mpg and its constantly changing (for example) from say 5 – 68 – 32 – 98 back to - - -mpg  all the time, anyone got any ideas on this as I thought this should sit at what your current MPG is say for example 32mpg and change to say 28mpg if you floor it  :confused:

Cheers
Ste

Offline mattchaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Possible problems with my digital dash? pics included
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 03:00:22 pm »
The MPG screen you're on is the "live" display rather than the average. So if you're flooring it, it will show low readings, whilst lifting off will show high readings. This range is larger than 32-28mpg!

Regarding the display going dark, noticed this happening on the Mrs' TDI, but some days it's worse than others. Her's is a 55 reg, maybe it's down to age of the display?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:03:04 pm by mattchaps »
MkIV R32 Turbo - Gone but not forgotten -  Click here
MkV GTI - Arrived

Offline spimmers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 03:17:42 pm »
my highline does this when ive left it in direct sunlight for a few hours like when i am in work, i think its the actual lcd that is faulty. i dont know if the lcd would be avalable as a spare or you would just have to get the full instrument cluster.

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:20:36 pm »
Yeap, ive noticed that too on my 05 Golf, and yes some days worse, usually if it's very sunny, so no danger of that this Summer!! As for the mpg, just click the button on your stalk to go to the next option, well to the option that gives you the average mpg.....

Offline D19 STE

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 03:46:48 pm »
Cheers peeps so that MPG display is normal for it to be constantly jumping from low to high figures then  :confused:

Just been clicking through the menu, as you can tell Im new to golfs  :grin: is my car doing 26.8mpg then

Is this normal for a 2005 golf GT 2.0 (not gti)  :surprised:

Also can anyone help me out what these ones mean  :ashamed:

I take it this one is how many miles Ive done since I last reset the menu  :confused:

And this one is how many miles I have left of petrol

Also the display didn't look as dark this time at the bottom  :confused:

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 2
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:54:40 pm »
It's the heat as mentioned - my old MKIV used to do this if it was hot. Once cool you should find it returns to it's normal self, or at least it did on my old cluster. Not seen my MKV do it yet but guess it's only a matter of time!

Have you been out to the car in the evening to see if it does it once the suns gone in and the temp has fallen slightly?

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 03:57:40 pm »
Our family hack is a 53 reg Passat and the computer display is also fading out - mainly on warmer days (it was fine all winter but faded last summer). It is not a show stopper and put down to the age of the car.

The pictures you show are for the second computer. computer 1 is for the current journey and computer 2 is the cumulative computer e.g. all journeys added together since last reset.

If you quickly click the button on the underside of the stalk it toggles between the 2 computers. Holding it down whilst in that particular computer resets all of the elements. The mpg average of 26mpg looks like it is for the last 21 hours of driving. This may have been by the previous owner if you have only just got the car.

Best to reset computer 2 and start to measure your averages. Your other points about miles before refill etc are correct

Hope that helps

p.s. computer 1 resets automatically if the car has been turned off for more than 2 hours
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline mattchaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 03:58:59 pm »
The MPH display is your average speed acheived during that trip :happy2:
MkIV R32 Turbo - Gone but not forgotten -  Click here
MkV GTI - Arrived

Offline D19 STE

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 04:05:50 pm »
Cheers guys  :happy2:

I bought the car on the Friday 13th may but had to send it back a couple of times for a couple of issues that the warranty covered for me, so the garage have had the car more than me at the moment  :signLOL:

Its it very sunny and warm out side so may check again this evening as suggested to see how it looks  :smiley:

Do you think it would be worth covering up my digital dash then when the car is parked up in the sun, to prevent the sun from damaging it  :confused:

Offline spimmers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 04:16:02 pm »
i was thinking of putting something over it, but i just think its the heat inside the car and behind the dash which theres nothing you can do about it, just have to live with it or replace it id of thought, i think ill just live with like someone said when it cools it comes back on fine.

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 06:14:33 pm »
would not bother putting a cover over the instruments as it is probably the ambient temperature affecting the display. It does not affect how the car drives and is probably quite an expensive thing to fix.
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 11:07:58 pm »
Sorry to sound negative but, if you read the handbook, like you do when you unpack something for the first time, then it would save the q's and you might know your way round the car better. It's all covered pretty much in there.

Offline D19 STE

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 08:38:09 am »
Cheers all for your replys  :happy2: the digital gauge is ok again this morning as its wet and cold day today so as you said its a heat related issue  :happy2:

Sorry to sound negative but, if you read the handbook, like you do when you unpack something for the first time, then it would save the q's and you might know your way round the car better. It's all covered pretty much in there.

If I had the handbook to read I would have read the bloody thing  :signLOL: just got a service manual at the moment.

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 10:24:36 am »
This one means you are driving too slow!!!

Anything with the circle with the line crossed through it is a cumulative or average figure.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline D19 STE

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 10:53:33 am »
This one means you are driving too slow!!!

Anything with the circle with the line crossed through it is a cumulative or average figure.

I best start pressing down that accelerator pedal more then  :signLOL:

So that's my average speed then at 18mph, just to make sure ive picked that bit up right then  :confused:  :grin: