Make a donation

Author Topic: Sunroof rattle from the blind or wind deflector anyone know official fix for it?  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
I have a rattle from the sunroof when going over small bumps.
It happens when it is fully tilted and the blind is pushed back to 75%-100%

It also rattles when the roof is wound back as the blind is far back too.

I have read loads of threads now from other websites using google to find them, of others suffering the same with the Mk5 but non seem to give a cure for it.

Anyone know what causes it and how to fix it.

Is there an official dealer fix out there someone may have or be able to get a copy of?

Thanks for any help.
Geoff.

Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Saint Steve

I'd go back to the dealers?

She's in warranty still though?

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Dealers had a couple goes and not fixed it if anything its got worse. The issue i have is they don't seem to be using official logged fixes or even checking if theres any for some reason (They also had a go at fixing a door issue i told them about. I then told them the official fix before they got it right!)
My problem at the moment is im now working overseas alot, and lots and lots of hours when im back. So im now not often in the country during the week so not in the position to take it to the dealers when their open either sadly.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Found some info out how others have tried to fixtheres from american sites but any other help from you guys would be much appreciated.

Hi, I've just got back from a week away and will be busy again all next week. Then off on holiday for two weeks! Otherwise I would have taken some photos.

I'll try to explain as I remember it...

The 'sunroof rattle' is actually caused by the sliding cover as you've probably guessed. I used some thick, black, square, felt pads which are sold to stick to the bottom of furniture (they sell them in Ikea).

Open the sunroof to the tilt position and use the front door sills to stand on. The sliding cover rattles when it vibrates in the middle against the sunroof fittings. With the roof in the tilt position you can see the black plastic back of the sliding cover by looking into the sunroof through the tilt opening. Mine had a mark in the dust along the centre, front to back, where it had rubbed against the sunroof.

Start at the front of the cover (open position) and stick a pad bang in the centre of the black plastic (on the back/top of the cover). You'll need to stretch your hand in to get the pad stuck down. Then slide the cover forward and stick another one in the same centreline. Then as many more as you need. Stick them down hard so they don't come off and get stuck in the roof lining.

My roof took four pads at intervals along the centre line of the cover.

The result - no more annoying sunroof rattle - but I can hear the dash rattle much clearer now!

Quote from: Jules;42892294
Just to dig out this thread as I've had a similar problem...I've tried cleaning and putting some vinyl protectant on the wind deflector, but the rattle's still there.<p>I'm curious about the felt tape option....for those who've tried this or had the dealer stick it on, where exactly do you put it?<p>On the actual sunroof inside bit in front of the glass,

...or the leading edge (45 degrees) of the wind deflector that faces the wind

or the trailing inside surface (90 degrees). Thanks in advance!

Hey Jules,

Dealer put the tape along the top of my wind deflector. Not happy Jan! (initial impressions), since it's on the outside.

However the tape is dark coloured and you wouldn't be able to spot it unless your stood close to the car. but definitely solved my rattles.  

I do reckon you could put it all along the underside of the glass where the wind deflector makes contact (i.e. in either one of the positions I've coloured below).

My blind seems to have some foam blocks that maybe used as described on the first quoted post maybe?

Mine are not in the best of health as one seems to  have maybe moved and is hanging off.. (one to the left of the picture and is further back)

:confused: :confused: :confused:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:29:13 am by Snoopy »

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
One of my last cars (non VW) had the same problem. Went back to the dealers 3 or 4 times & never really fixed it,had all the foam stop etc replaced but still no joy.
Stupied thing was some times road could be glass smooooth & it would rattle like fcuk next time nothing & then again the road could be pot holed & not a sound.Drove me mad. :smiley:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
On my edition 30 i fixed this by not opening the roof  :laugh:, i have prevented it on the Scirocco by not spec'ing a sunroof  :grin:

Hope you find a fix though  :happy2: