Make a donation

Author Topic: Gearbox noise  (Read 1095 times)

Offline markfive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
  • You ain't seen me, right?
Gearbox noise
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:42:14 pm »
Noticed a noise when my DSG is in D but being held on the brakes. If I move the box to any other location (P, N, R or manual) then the noise goes away - if I move back to D then it sometimes returns by itself, but will definitely come back if I let the car pull itself forwards and then brake again.
Noise also goes if I raise RPM above idle. More noticeable when the engine is warm.

Best way to describe the noise is a "thrum" sound. It's not that loud but it's consistently there.

Car has 44k miles, mechatronics unit was replaced at 40k. Driving pattern is a mix of manual and D. No other gearbox issues other than a tendency to snatch the change from 3 down to 2 when in manual mode (althought that might be user error  :grin: ), and a slight hesitancy to take up drive in 1st when very cold.

Anyone got any ideas? I have a VW Extended Warranty so no great hassle in dropping it into the dealer but it would be helpful to have some idea of what might be going on.

Cheers, Mark.
'57 DSG GTI alas now gone, but not forgotten....
Now motorway cruising in a 61 Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 TDCi. 500+ miles to a tankful and bucketloads of torque :O Ok, it's not a GTI but it's fun... and that's what counts ;)