Make a donation

Author Topic: I would appreciate some tyres advice, please....  (Read 13469 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
I would appreciate some tyres advice, please....
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:39:41 am »
I've been using asymmetric treads for some time: Several sets of Goodyear and then mixed with Dunlop (sister product) because GY were out of stock in early 2010, and now all Dunlop Sport Maxx because I bought a pair from Mandy on here.

I'm approaching the need to buy a new pair of tyres - I will fit them on the back axle and move the existing to the front. So whichever tyres I get they'll have to mix with the Dunlops on the front until they in turn wear out. Unlike some on this forum, I have had no problem whatsoever with the Dunlops but would prefer to go back to the Goodyears. I'm talking 225x18.

I've heard good things about the Michelin PS3's but would a pair mix safely with the Dunlops on the front until they wear out? I don't want to be randomly inducing the ESP snatch - Been there and done that and got the T-shirt (mixing directionals with asymmetrics - on different axles of course) and it's not nice.

I have also heard good things about the Vredesteins except that they take more time to warm up and are relatively expensive.

So, I'm not looking for confirmation of a choice I've already made - I genuinely am not sure which tyres to get next and would appreciate your thoughts/advice, guys  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: I would appreciate some tyres advice, please....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 10:42:25 am »
I know Costco are doing 20% off if you buy 4 tyres at the mo on mich stuff if that helps at all

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 10:47:36 am »

I've heard good things about the Michelin PS3's but would a pair mix safely with the Dunlops on the front until they wear out? I don't want to be randomly inducing the ESP snatch - Been there and done that and got the T-shirt (mixing directionals with asymmetrics - on different axles of course) and it's not nice.

:drinking:

Robin,

sorry it's not an input helping your choice.  Just want to know what experiences you've had mixing Assymetrics / directional.  I was forced to change my Goodyear F1 assy for Falken f452 this month and will soon match the fronts with another pair of Falkens.  (Cheep option while I save to carry on ticking things off my wishlist again.)

What horrors should I expect under this temporary setup?

Cheers  :drinking:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 10:49:26 am »
Either
1.Michelin super sport 3
2.Goodyear asymetric2
3.Vredesteins

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:56:04 am »

I know Costco are doing 20% off if you buy 4 tyres at the mo on mich stuff if that helps at all

....Thanks  :drinking:

Would you recommend the PS3's for fast road use, Mat?

I'm not sure I want to buy 4 tyres though. Hmm.. food for thought. At least my daughter is used to seeing a pair of tyres in the entrance hall at home! Some of my visitors (usually the females) have raised an eyebrow though, but I don't care two sh!ts.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:57:23 am »
Yeah I would Robin they are a great tyre in both wet and dry

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:59:31 am »
Costco are £149 minus 20% for PS3's which works out around £120.

I have heard stories that you can get them for £127 at certain other tyre dealers so unless you are local and a member I probably wouldn't bother. :smiley:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 11:00:44 am »
Costco are £149 minus 20% for PS3's which works out around £120.

I have heard stories that you can get them for £127 at certain other tyre dealers so unless you are local and a member I probably wouldn't bother. :smiley:

Read that on here recently but they were 17s

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 11:05:17 am »

Robin,

sorry it's not an input helping your choice.  Just want to know what experiences you've had mixing Assymetrics / directional.  I was forced to change my Goodyear F1 assy for Falken f452 this month and will soon match the fronts with another pair of Falkens.  (Cheep option while I save to carry on ticking things off my wishlist again.)

....No prob, Mike  :happy2:

What happens is that the directionals and asymmetrics each give different feedback to the ESP system and it thinks it needs to rescue you and so applies braking as it sees appropriate. This 'feedback' is the result of differences especially in the wall stiffness of the tyres.

I found it happened more at speed in long bends - Very scary the first time when it was on a road with stone walls either side and the car unexpectedly snatched. I kept my foot planted and found that driving through it was the best way when it happened again. Always random - I even tried to induce it on the same stretch of road but perhaps I wasn't going quite as fast for fear of what might happen. Once I knew what it was (advised by Goodyear Technical) I ignored it but it's still not nice.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:08:24 am »

Yeah I would Robin they are a great tyre in both wet and dry

....Sounds ideal  :happy2:

No complaints about my Goodyear asymms in the wet though. I think that the asymmetric treads are great in the wet.

Offline _Nathan_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Race Data Systems - Motec Cosworth Aim Racelogic
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 11:08:41 am »
If buying 4 I'd take a look at the Michelin Supersports assuming they are available in the right size.

Better in the wet and dry compared to PS2, closer to a PSC on a dry track, seems like the perfect tyre for a road car that sees the track?
E90 M3, E46 CSL Race car

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 11:14:51 am »
Either
1.Michelin super sport 3
2.Goodyear asymetric2
3.Vredesteins

....Michelin Super Sports seem ideally suited to road and track though I have no trackday plans due to a major change in my financial circumstances :sad1:

I'll check out the Goodyear asymm 2's - I've had 1's.  :happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 11:18:57 am »

Robin,

....No prob, Mike  :happy2:

What happens is that the directionals and asymmetrics each give different feedback to the ESP system and it thinks it needs to rescue you and so applies braking as it sees appropriate. This 'feedback' is the result of differences especially in the wall stiffness of the tyres.

I found it happened more at speed in long bends - Very scary the first time when it was on a road with stone walls either side and the car unexpectedly snatched. I kept my foot planted and found that driving through it was the best way when it happened again. Always random - I even tried to induce it on the same stretch of road but perhaps I wasn't going quite as fast for fear of what might happen. Once I knew what it was (advised by Goodyear Technical) I ignored it but it's still not nice.

Thanks Robin  :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 11:35:21 am »
Well, Michelin Super Sports clearly are an amazing tyre but they don't offer 225 x 40 x 18. I haven't gone as far as finding out cost but I have a hunch they're expensive.

Currently I think it's probably between the Michelin PS3's and Goodyear Asymmetric 2's. The GY2's are reported to be even better than the GY1's.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:44:37 am by maxitrol »