Make a donation

Author Topic: Problem still not solved. Help please! =(  (Read 2021 times)

Offline amins23

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Problem still not solved. Help please! =(
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:06:49 am »
Hey guys, about a month ago I joined this community in the hopes of finding the answer to my ESP problem. The car drives perfectly normal but only when going on really hard turns (like a highway exit or perhaps a roundabout for example) the brakes jolt and make an uncomfortable noise. This problem only appeared after its major 60,000KM service.

I sent it back to them for check up and they took 3 long days and after all that they said there is absolutely nothing wrong with your car.  :fighting:

I then got one of the personnels with me in the car and I drove it and showed him what's wrong. He then smiled awkwardly and said "This is weird...I don't even know how to explain it to the repair crew." I left my car for another day with them and they gave it back to me telling me not to speed on turns  :sad1:

What might be wrong with my car? I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to mechanical and technical things in cars but I do love my GTI and I want it back the way it was :(

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Problem still not solved. Help please! =(
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:35:35 am »
Hi mate

Sorry I dont know whats wrong with your car but I wouldnt stand for "and they gave it back to me telling me not to speed on turns" that!

Does it still do it with the ESP off?

Matt

Offline amins23

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:29:55 pm »
No, when the ESP is off the car corners perfectly. It is only when the ESP is turned on that I get the problem.  :sick:

Offline Jk911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 12:40:10 pm »
Spoke to a friend in vwuk tech department, he says have they checked the abs control unit, it's ment to be a common problem, new unit is roughly £800 from vw, gives the same symptoms that you describe, not 100% sure its that but something else you can check.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 01:15:27 pm »
At the service did you have any tyres fitted?  Just a thought as poor gripping tyres can lead to the car sliding and the ESP kicking in.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline amins23

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 03:49:23 pm »
Actually the front tyres are kind of worn out and are scheduled for replacement in 2 days. The type of tyres used now are Michelin performance tyres....Is it really possible that grip has something to do with the jolting effect and noise of ESP?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 04:41:21 pm »
Yup, if the esp is kicking in then you will get that sort of odd behaviour.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline amins23

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:15:08 pm »
Update: Changed the front tyres today and the problem hasn't yet been solved. Same thing - no changes  :sad1:

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 10:16:07 pm »
On my old polo it used to make a funny noise and the brakes would vibrate, was EDL tho, uses the abs system to help with traction
May not be the same as what you've got but may shed some light
Jack

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline amins23

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 12:43:01 pm »
Thanks Jack but can you explain what exactly is EDL?

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 05:19:15 pm »
Electronic Differential Lock.  If you can imagine it works similar to a limited slip diff to stop inside wheel spin and help the car corner.

From wikipedia

Traction control systems are also used in many modern vehicles either in addition or as a replacement of locking differentials. One example is that offered by Volkswagen under the name of electronic differential lock (EDL). This EDL is not in fact a differential lock, but operates at each wheel. Sensors monitor wheel speeds, and if one is rotating more than 100 RPM more than the other (i.e. slipping) the EDL system momentarily brakes it. This effectively transfers all the power to the other wheel,[2] but still employs the open differential, which is the same as on cars without the EDL option. Electronic traction control systems may be integrated with anti-lock braking systems, which have a similar action on braking and use some similar components. Such systems are used for example on the most recent Nissan Pathfinder, Land Rover Defender and Land Rover Freelander models.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline leetdi22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 08:49:13 pm »
Hey guys, about a month ago I joined this community in the hopes of finding the answer to my ESP problem. The car drives perfectly normal but only when going on really hard turns (like a highway exit or perhaps a roundabout for example) the brakes jolt and make an uncomfortable noise. This problem only appeared after its major 60,000KM service.

I sent it back to them for check up and they took 3 long days and after all that they said there is absolutely nothing wrong with your car.  :fighting:

I then got one of the personnels with me in the car and I drove it and showed him what's wrong. He then smiled awkwardly and said "This is weird...I don't even know how to explain it to the repair crew." I left my car for another day with them and they gave it back to me telling me not to speed on turns  :sad1:

What might be wrong with my car? I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to mechanical and technical things in cars but I do love my GTI and I want it back the way it was :(
azre you in the uk ?

Offline amins23

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 10:16:55 pm »
Thanks 56OctyVRS.

And no LEETDI122, I actually live in Dubai (which is in the middle east) and I was referred to this website by a friend who used to live in UK but moved down here to Dubai a year back. I must say, this community has been a great source of knowledge so far!  :drinking:

Offline leetdi22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 07:49:19 pm »
wonder if the steering angle sensor has not been set right ? when your turning the car is oversteering ?
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist