Make a donation

Author Topic: How to remove the high level brake light?  (Read 42290 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: How to remove the high level brake light?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2009, 02:06:15 pm »
^^^ I have had my rear screen replaced three times and the spoiler didn't have to come off  :confused:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 03:05:40 pm »
Mine has this too, got told to turn my washer jet to the '2 o clock' position rather than straight up! which I have.
this helped anyone? or is it just a vast amount of condensation that builds it up?

Also wanting to replace the rear window with the darkened OEM window, I think TT did this!... again, same situation with the spoiler, has to ripped off! :scared:

Bloody madness !

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 03:07:24 pm »
^^^ I have had my rear screen replaced three times and the spoiler didn't have to come off  :confused:
How come you have had 3 rear screens !?

WILLZIE

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 03:08:05 pm »
ah ha, cheers Stevie, just had a closer inspection of the window, I thought it runs up the entire length of the tailgate!
just got sum sticky pads at both ends that threw me off!  :signIWS:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 07:12:47 pm »
How come you have had 3 rear screens !?

Original PDI issues where the tinted rear screen had a scratch, it took 2 screens and three attempts to get it right  :embarrassed:

WILLZIE

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 08:55:45 pm »
bugger, scrathed on delivery!, Wanting to order the tinted OEM window soon, hope it comes mint, unlike every thing I've ordered from the dealer, always a defect!

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 09:24:21 am »
See my other how to post. :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 10:58:18 pm »
Mine has this too, got told to turn my washer jet to the '2 o clock' position rather than straight up! which I have.
this helped anyone? or is it just a vast amount of condensation that builds it up?

Also wanting to replace the rear window with the darkened OEM window, I think TT did this!... again, same situation with the spoiler, has to ripped off! :scared:

Make sure your rear pi$$er is squirting in the 2'o clock position - this is what the Elsa manual says.  And the simple proof that it IS the pisser, take a look at the Mk6 - it now sqirts down from the 3rd brake light, not up from the wiper spindle!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 11:08:38 pm »
I haven't used my rear end pi$$er for over a year and I still get condensation from time to time. I decided to live with it rather than get the dealers to knacker things further.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2009, 10:41:27 pm »
I haven't used my rear end pi$$er for over a year and I still get condensation from time to time. I decided to live with it rather than get the dealers to knacker things further.

Same here, apart from the odd accidental squirt I've never 'used' mine and have had condensation from very early on. Im convinced the water gets in under the spoiler where it joins the tailgate.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 10:54:02 pm »
i thinks its purely the heat generated from the roof/spoiler that in a sealed enviroment, the condensation has nowhere to go except collect in the pastic housing. Same as what happens with the xenon headlamps do, steam up after the heat generated and cooling down,causes the lamp housings to sweat, same as the rear spoiler imo.

I dont see the direction of a washer jet nozzle is going to cause the break light housing leak theory.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 05:13:26 pm »

My car has just failed its MOT because the roof spoiler brake light isn't working. My VW dealer has an affiliated accident repair centre whom I know very well and they've said they'd fit a new one for £80 plus the LED unit cost. They've done them before.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 05:32:11 pm »
Yeah, I'm gonna have to do the break original/squeeze in replacement at unit cost thing soon as I cba to pay £loads for a replacement spoiler with all the paint match issues that will undoubtedly ensue.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 08:25:06 am »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=121067.0

20 minutes and around £35 should see you right  :happy2:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 04:43:08 pm »

I just got home after my VW dealer's affiliated bodyshop changed the high level brake light using the 'non-VW recommended' method. They quoted me £80 but charged me £50. The last one they did on a Mk5 GTI they charged just over £300 for by doing it the approved VW way.

They replaced my horn fuse and re-angled the rear washer jet, all for zero charge. I bought some new tyres off them though and also contributed to their RNLI raft race they're doing on Thursday evening - The mechanics have built their own raft. Although they no longer do my servicing, the relationship is as good as ever. That's the advantage of living in a country community - Everyone knows each other and become good mates.

So I've passed the MOT :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!