Make a donation

Author Topic: Tackling that filthy black exhaust!!!!  (Read 6057 times)

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
Re: Tackling that filthy black exhaust!!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 09:17:10 pm »
Nice Car
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 10:07:32 pm »
Looks good mate  :happy2:

Just wish they stayed that clean  :sad1:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 10:39:30 pm »
Thanks Ed, just needs the climate panel to work now  :party:
Lee, you're right, all the dark ones are a pig to keep clean, unlike the silver ones  :sad1:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 09:22:11 am »
Looking good mate  :happy2:

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 12:49:28 pm »
The Silver wadding lasts ages as well I bought a tin about 2 years ago and it still going strong. Once clean the tips only really need a quick wipe over and the shine comes back.

and I only paid about a pound for in Asda as well.........
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline jh4610

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 08:40:15 am »
Looks good Jussa, know how you feel about keeping the dark ones clean, dust just seem to stick to it straight after cleaning.

My exhaust is in need of a good clean as well.

I am assuming it has to be Silvo or is any metal polish alright to use? I could not find any in Morrisons and was thinking about getting Brasso but it is not for silver.

Thanks in advance.

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 08:14:36 pm »
Jussa, car looks mint! i just had a go at the tailpipe, i actually thought it was matt black!  insert sarcastic :congrats: got about 80% of the black crap off but just gave up with the rest, i wasnt sure if the chrome had actually been eroded or not....

anyhow, quick question....seeing your bumpers colour coordinated made me realise it has to be done on mine....did u get that done??? how much did it cost?

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 09:35:29 pm »
Thanks guys.
The bumper and side skirtings I had done for £270 at a local panelbeater  :party:
To be honest I also thougt mine were matt black  :signLOL:
If you use a soft non-scratch scourer and just keep polishing with the silvo it will eventually come off, it wouldn't have eroded.  You may have to leave a layer of silvo on the tip for about 30 minutes and then keep on polishing, but it will come off.
Obviously I wouldn't recommend brasso, but if you look at this whole thread some guys do use particular oven cleaners and get good results.  :jumpmove:
BTW you should be able to get Silvo in any Tesco or Sainsbury's  :drinking:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 10:00:42 pm »
270....not bad, wud hope to get it done slightly cheaper, will call around, were you happy with the result, i think it makes a big difference, well from what i can see on your pics compared to mine!

im sure on a previous topic i posted about window tinting you said you got yours done on your car, i cant rly notice the tint tho on your most recent pics?

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 06:36:23 pm »
just had a go at this using the soft non scratch scourer and the Silvo wadding...

...and i've had mixed results:
The good: The tips of my exhaust look better  :rolleye:
The bad: they aint all over shiney  :sad1:

I don't think i've put in enough elbow grease but some of the tarnishing and the black shoite looked like it's never gonna shift. I'll have another go at it tomorrow if i get time but i'm wondering whether to bust out the wire wool and look for some autosol as well...  :scared:

If i get any better results i may be so bold as to post pictures but at the moment it aint worth it  :grin:

Well done to Jussa for getting the result he did, i can really appreciate it having had a go  :congrats:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:38:13 pm by Frenzy »