Make a donation

Author Topic: Hesitation issue still not solved... can anyone help?!  (Read 2205 times)

Offline mattchaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Hesitation issue still not solved... can anyone help?!
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:00:55 am »
After being hopeful and finding info on here I thought I'd solved my GTI's hesitation issues, but after more replacing parts it's still there.

The problem: When cold, the car has a serious hesitation issue under load below 2,500rpm, feels like misfires or a lack or fuel. Idle is also a bit lumpy. But take her over 2,500rpm and the hesitation seems to disappear but dip below it again and it returns. However, once she's warmed up there seems to be no hesitation at all, at any rpm!

Items replaced: Plugs, Coils, PCV valve. Have also disconnected the battery for half hour to reset the ECU.

Results so far: No Change!

I haven't been able to get it scanned for errors yet, and I'm not paying VW £60 just to scan it for me when they are still unlikely to know how to fix it. Hopefully vrsCarl will be able to come up but that's not going to be until July.

If anyone knows what else it might be, I'd be everso grateful as I really want/need the car to run right because it's getting me down now.

Thanks, Matt
MkIV R32 Turbo - Gone but not forgotten -  Click here
MkV GTI - Arrived

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Hesitation issue still not solved... can anyone help?!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:12:38 am »
might be a long shot but a friend of mine had the same issues and changed every thing to cure it and it turned out to be the wiring loom to the coil pack..after we found the answer on here

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:30:57 am »
I haven't been able to get it scanned for errors yet, and I'm not paying VW £60 just to scan it for me when they are still unlikely to know how to fix it.

Have you looked to see if any member with a vcds cable on here is located nearby to do a scan for you?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline mattchaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:41:55 am »
Should have said, car is an 07, done 80k miles, No mods at present.

I haven't been able to get it scanned for errors yet, and I'm not paying VW £60 just to scan it for me when they are still unlikely to know how to fix it.

Have you looked to see if any member with a vcds cable on here is located nearby to do a scan for you?

Yep, VRSCarl is the closest and have already been in touch with him but he can't do anything until July.
MkV GTI - Arrived

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:54:49 am »
I've had this from standard. When I first bought the car I occasionally got the cel light up pointing to cylinder 3 misfire, I replaced the coil pack but it made no difference. I run the car on high octane 99 Ron now which has helped a lot, it's still not perfect but it's a lot better and no cel. As soon as it reaches 90 c water temp it's fine. I have put it down to carbon build up on the intake valves but possibly in the cylinder itself as my car burns a fair bit of oil.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline mattchaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 11:21:00 am »
What are people's thoughts on a failed/failing DV?

Am I chasing my own tail? Should I just wait until I can get it scanned?
MkV GTI - Arrived

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:28:57 am »
Sounds like a dodgy dv. You could pop it off the car and check it easy enough if you have the tools,or just replace it and then you know it's 100% done. If you can get it scanned it makes guessing easier

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 12:39:08 pm »
What are people's thoughts on a failed/failing DV?

Am I chasing my own tail? Should I just wait until I can get it scanned?
Very much doubt it as it works fine when warm.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline jhono

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 01:47:18 pm »
got a very similar problem,changed just about every thing,i have free access to vag com as my son is the sales manager at our local seat garage,and every time it points to intermittant misfire,got fed up looking so just got on with it

Offline mattchaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 01:51:46 pm »
got a very similar problem,changed just about every thing,i have free access to vag com as my son is the sales manager at our local seat garage,and every time it points to intermittant misfire,got fed up looking so just got on with it

If it's not a hardware fault, have you thought about running a trial remap to see if that improves things?

I don't think I'll keep the car if I can't solve the problem, it frustrates me every day!
MkV GTI - Arrived

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 03:51:00 pm »
Matt, is your car manual or DSG?

DSG gearboxes will benefit from a software reset as they 'learn' your driving style. Obviously a second hand one will have the previous owner's learned. Makes a hell of a difference, their's a sticky on how to do it with VCDS in the appropriate area.

If you're in a manual, dunno! :grin:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 06:02:41 pm »
Similar to the issue I have just had which turned out to be the low pressure fuel sensor for about £40.00 + fitting. Mine didn't resolve when the engine was warm either but what you describe is the same problem.
 When I was having the work done thought the technician showed me an old low pressure fuel pump and what I would describe as a mesh filter around it. The filter was clogged and he said he was getting a few lately with issues like yours/mine and it was caused by this mesh being blocked. He had never had one on a GTI though but may be worth considering if you could get the pump out?
 The DV failure to me felt more like it was flat rather than a hesitation  plus it went better under light loads than heavy, presumably because the higher pressure was opening the holes in it more.

Getting in on the computer is the way to go mate. Even if it you a don't pin point the issue it should help point you in the right direction.