Make a donation

Author Topic: new laptop-recommendations please  (Read 1310 times)

Offline matsu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
new laptop-recommendations please
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:13:17 pm »
hi gang
my 16yr old daughter needs a new laptop.she is off to do A levels in sept and needs it for her photography-so storing pics is essential
she will also be doing art and design so it will need to be capable of coping with those demands and she luuuuurves her music and youtube so
what spec ans any recommendos please?
budget upto 500squid...poss bit more if neeeededd but dont tell her that :evilgrin:

thanks in advance
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: new laptop-recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:15:57 pm »
From what you have described "photography" "pics" "music"  id be tempted to go 2nd hand/ new mac, basically because you will be super dad then haha

Ifti

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:39:27 am »
I may have a basic spec Dell laptop up for grabs soon if interested? Will slash the amount you want to spend in half.....!

If you wanted new though, I would also be tempted to go with an Apple system - but its whether she will be comfortable using a Mac, and whether it will be compatible (the same programs used etc) as her school/college.......take her into an Apple store and see what she thinks..............on second thoughts, only do that if you have a FAT wallet........ lol

Offline sline

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:21:21 am »
I recently purchased one of these - ASUS UL30A-QX328V from Save on Laptops, steal at under £350 and includes a 2 Year Warranty

Great reviews http://www.trustedreviews.com/Asus-UL30A_Laptop_review

Small, Light enough to carry around - yet still has decent performance, 13.3", 3GB, 320GB, HDMI - but best of all embedded 3G so if she gets a Three Mobile Broadband Sim - either paid or contract she can get online anywhere without a dongle

I use for photography and video too - no issues and has been streaming movies to PS3 in 1080 while I've been working on it too :happy2:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_UL30A-QX328V_1068303.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:59:31 am by sline »
Daily drive's a Shark'd Golf GT TDI 170 DPF, Weekender's a GTI eating max'd out K04 MK1 TT :-)-

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 08:31:37 am »
You mention her doing art and design, so really it's got to be a Mac. In all my years working in the design industry I've never walked into a design studio populated by PCs. For instance our studio has six 27" iMacs, five Mac Pros, and seven MacBook Pros of various sizes! You might have to dig a bit deeper (possibly look for a refurbished model), but it will last, and it will give her a good start later down the line when she's entering the workplace.

Offline matsu

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:46:00 am »
thanks guys
i reaaly appreciate the input-
ill look into macs but have a feeling that alot of her college work will be pc/windows based.
will def check out the links...

oh and howdy ifti- hope ya doing ok mate!¬

matsu

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:07:09 am »
ill look into macs but have a feeling that alot of her college work will be pc/windows based.

They all are - and then they feed into an industry that uses Macs exclusively. It's daft. We get a huge amount of work experience placements, and very few know how to use a Mac.

Regardless of what platform you choose, there won't be any compatibility issues if she has a Mac at home, but uses a PC at college. Our developers sit behind gruesome Alienware laptops (if you think Macs are expensive think again!), and we exchange files on a daily basis.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 05:41:51 pm »
Plus you can dual boot windows or mac osx. Kids these days can figure out technical issues quite quickly, if not we are here lol

Ifti

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 08:26:17 pm »
thanks guys
i reaaly appreciate the input-
will def check out the links...

oh and howdy ifti- hope ya doing ok mate!¬

matsu

Hiya mate, yeh I'm not too bad. Just saving up.......for that M3 I've always wanted...... Lol

Offline matsu

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 08:39:39 am »
thanks again guys- i,m researching all wkend.

ift- get yourself back in the VAG lol

matsu

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 09:18:21 am »
As an educator I would say you would be fine with a Mac - Mac Office for all MS Office apps, run windows 7 in addition to MacOS too if needed. All I run is a Mac, as do about 30% of my students.

Offline matsu

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 07:41:07 am »
thanks again
anyone know a good place to source a refurbed/2nd hand mac?
and what sorta price am i looking at?
she has re found her enthusiasm for interior design so thats def the direction she is heading
matsu

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 09:55:45 am »
you can get:

http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/product/1000152521/apple-13-macbook-pro---intel-core-i5-320gb-4gb-memory.aspx?ref=AW&loc=HotUKDeals&awc=2533_1308991832_886803ab235316782a7a55afba025d94

for £808.01 delivered by using LAPTOP12 discount code and topcashback.co.uk

or get it for £859.20 directly from apple, pm and i can forward you the link to this.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 10:40:26 am »
Your best bet is to buy it through the educational discounts programme, or even better if you have a friend with a VAT registered business, get them to buy it.