Make a donation

Author Topic: Do I REALLY need to get my ED30 Revo'd?  (Read 7042 times)

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Do I REALLY need to get my ED30 Revo'd?
« on: June 25, 2011, 11:07:48 am »
Having such a dilema with this one (good dilema I know LOL)

Have had dubs for 12 years and always liked modding them. My Corrado VR6 is still sat in the garage now as I have spent far too much on the old girl to let her go. Only had the ED30 a week but bought it as I was adamant that I didnt want to go down the modding route again and I knew I would with a standard GTi.

Now the car does feel amazing, very well balanced and certainly feels everyone of its 230 horses and maybe then some. Problem is my mate has a std GTi with Revo 2 pushing out around 280 bhp and same torque and that feels spot on power wise. Especially above 100 where my starts to feel a little flat....

What I dont want to do is make my car too powerful and end up having to spend loads on bigger brakes, WALK kit, Quaiffe dif etc etc

So I guess after all of that I just wanted a few peoples opinions who have done Stage 1 only and have been happy with results. Handling, wheel spin, std brakes etc etc Most people on here seem to have gone the whole hog Stage 2+  :laugh:

I used to be into Evo's in a big way and you could fine tune the power by the amount of boost you ran (obviously) is this possible with Revo or is it literally a flash of the ECU with preset map.

Apologies if this has all been discussed before.

Thanks

Matt

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Do I REALLY need to get my ED30 Revo'd?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 01:41:48 pm »

Revo offers the adjustability you want with the SPS switch  :happy2:

A stage 1 will see most ed30 / S3 / Cupras to a very driveable 300bhp.  Switchable to stock setting when ever you feel its necessarry (When the wife is driving :P )

You'll be very happy with it if  you decide to take the plunge.  Sounds like you already appreciate your eddy for what it is so a win win situation for you  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 01:50:38 pm »
I had my ED30 for around two years before I went stage 1. It pulls harder through the rev range but the balancr is still good. I think the standard GTI brakes are crap and would think about improving them een if it was just a pad upgrade but otherwise still wholly driveable.

I got wheelhop in the std ED30 so this will still be present at Stage 1. You have to learn to modulate your right foot! If you've had the car only a week, I'd recommend staying as you are and continue to get used to it. But others have jumped straight to stage 1 and loved it.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 08:08:01 pm »
Cheers guys. I did look at SPS switch but you have to plug it in to use it don't you? Not like you cam use it on the go? I'm used to being able to just press a button on the dash...

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 08:29:16 pm »
i stayed standard for about a year, enjoy your car as it is and you'll appreciate the power more when you finally map it Plus you will be able to enjoy it rather than always thinking its ruining the experience due to loss of traction.

Offline ED30_jase

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 07:59:06 pm »
Hey I had my ED30 only 3 weeks before I did a Stage 1 and DSG remap...the reason for me was purely because I had the money at the time and if a didn't do it would probably have spent it elsewhere!!  But can't recomend it enough!!

Doesn't spoile the car one bit!!    :happy2:

Saint Steve

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:46:38 pm »
Having such a dilema with this one (good dilema I know LOL)

Have had dubs for 12 years and always liked modding them. My Corrado VR6 is still sat in the garage now as I have spent far too much on the old girl to let her go. Only had the ED30 a week but bought it as I was adamant that I didnt want to go down the modding route again and I knew I would with a standard GTi.

Now the car does feel amazing, very well balanced and certainly feels everyone of its 230 horses and maybe then some. Problem is my mate has a std GTi with Revo 2 pushing out around 280 bhp and same torque and that feels spot on power wise. Especially above 100 where my starts to feel a little flat....

What I dont want to do is make my car too powerful and end up having to spend loads on bigger brakes, WALK kit, Quaiffe dif etc etc

So I guess after all of that I just wanted a few peoples opinions who have done Stage 1 only and have been happy with results. Handling, wheel spin, std brakes etc etc Most people on here seem to have gone the whole hog Stage 2+  :laugh:

I used to be into Evo's in a big way and you could fine tune the power by the amount of boost you ran (obviously) is this possible with Revo or is it literally a flash of the ECU with preset map.

Apologies if this has all been discussed before.

Thanks

Matt

Agree about getting remapped, but Revo isn't the only one to consider personally.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7clphsfq3tpr194tch87kuts2g&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 10:30:50 pm »
In a word... No!  :signLOL:

You can still have loads of fun on the stock map. Just keep pushing it harder into corners until you find the limit of either your gonads of grip. I have wail of a time in mine  :driver:

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 08:18:19 pm »
Have you thought about the free trial?  Probably tempting fate if you do  :signLOL:
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline gazcupra

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 07:21:07 am »
They don't do the free trial anymore

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 07:31:17 am »
Still on their web site. Awesome still offer it too. 
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 08:30:00 am »
I found the best way to appreciate the power is get a dealer's loan car for the day. Yesterday they leant me a 1.4 TSi that couldn't pull the c*ck off a chocolate mouse. When I picked my car up at the end of the day it felt like a missile.

Simples! :signLOL:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline gazcupra

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 03:32:45 pm »
I've spoke to my 2 nearest revo dealers and they said they don't do it anymore so I emailed revo and the reply was that theyd stopped it but if you go for a remap and your not happy they offer a 30 day money back guarantee

Saint Steve

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 03:34:32 pm »
Drive a Hyundai i10, then get back into a 300bhp ed30  :signLOL:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 07:27:48 am »
I found the best way to appreciate the power is get a dealer's loan car for the day. Yesterday they leant me a 1.4 TSi that couldn't pull the c*ck off a chocolate mouse. When I picked my car up at the end of the day it felt like a missile.

Simples! :signLOL:
:signLOL: :signLOL:

Same getting out of works Sprinter van, treacle for suspension and acceleration of a snail