Make a donation

Author Topic: GIAC versus Revo Stage 2+  (Read 26867 times)

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
Re: GIAC versus Revo Stage 2+
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2009, 07:56:48 am »
Just noticed on Regal's site, the 'race' map specifically states you have to run the car on 105+ octane which may or may not explain DCs' issues.  (Cant see this being a usuable upgrade for most people).
Whilst GIAC make lots of maps, this may be the exact same race map as that loaded by Jim at STAR performance ?

Offline dc240969

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2009, 09:00:53 am »
Good point, but does Revo insist on using high octane fuel.

Offline warren_cox

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2009, 09:02:21 am »
I'm the one running Revo Stg2+ with completely standard exhaust system.

Reasons for this are 2 fold.

1) Car was purchased through Audi Finance but with a full 30% deposit. Whilst I now own considerably more than half of it, and intend to pay the bubble off and keep it, under the terms and conditions of the agreement of ownership I don't have the same flexibility in terms of my modification path as those who own their cars using a bank loan option. Therefore, other than the air filter, ALL other mods are practically invisible to an initial inspection.

2) Having had a few exhausts in my time, I am now at the point where I am less impressed by the benefits of the new aftermarket systems when compared to the latest OEM ones. Yes they are better manufactured (well in some cases), but at the end of the day no matter what you bolt on the back of your car it still has to get out past fixed diameter outlets in the block. Whilst I accept and appreciate the aftermarket exhaust will be freer flowing at top end, and will assist some heat dissipation, the differences are not as big as some may leave you to believe. There is a lot of hype. When my exhaust gives up (and it will, and prematurely), it will get changed for either a full Pipewerx system, or maybe a Pipewerx DP and cats (with maybe a bypass for outside MoT season) with an OEM cat back. After cobbing out £1100 on a Milltek on my last car I'm in no rush to be passing them any money for this car as I found it added VERY little to the mix. It's no accident someone who had a very quick S3 was running an aftermarket DP, cats, and OEM cat back, as to be honest the OEM stuff is just not that bad anymore - yes it can be improved upon, but lets not kid ourselves here, these are still road cars and not even in the same league as track prepped machines. Millteks seem to be a nicely made product, but these days have become more of a bragging right to people who also have to have coilovers fitted to take their kids on the school run (don't get me started on coilovers!). When it's broke I'll change it, but I won't be mindlessly running to any one brand because I want to give them the best part of a grand or so based on being part of 'the in crowd'. Given the amount of fuel that seems to be popping in the system when you take your foot off the gas I'd say I'll be changing it sooner rather than later.

Anyway, the car seems to be running fine at present, but having said that I have now signed the kiss of doom (commentators curse).

Any maps built to run 105RON in the real world seem largely pointless given you struggle to get a true 99RON in the UK. Must surely be for purist race application. So much of the US figures based on very high octane figures, yet they all run about using 91RON!

Audi S3 (8P)

Mods: Revo Stg 2+, KMD HPFP, ITG CAI, NGK Iridiums, Rev D DV, 19" RS4 wheels, PIAA bulbs

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2009, 04:52:13 pm »
Agree on the exhaust bit, gonna have hybrid vs full cat back comparisons in the near future to report on.

Also there have been quite a few milly failures that I have heard about on the interweb and from people at cruises/shows.

BTW just a note, the way the yanks measure their fuel quality is different how we do it in the UK. IIRC 91 ron US is equivelant to 97ron europe.

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2009, 05:13:47 pm »
DC,
99 ron or equivalent is recommended by revo but no requirement for the 105 stuff.

Offline owen lcr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
  • owen
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2010, 06:47:51 pm »
i have got hammer map on my car and was told about the extreme map, after hearing this i think i am just going to leave it.

As for the exhaust i totally agree with warren, i have milltek at the moment and it isnt as well built as i expected it to be, bearing mind most of the failures are caused by engine movement and this is the reason they have started giving everyone a free engine mount to try and decrease engine roll, not sure if t is helping but they have recognised the fault i suppose.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2010, 06:51:10 pm »
i have got hammer map on my car and was told about the extreme map, after hearing this i think i am just going to leave it.

As for the exhaust i totally agree with warren, i have milltek at the moment and it isnt as well built as i expected it to be, bearing mind most of the failures are caused by engine movement and this is the reason they have started giving everyone a free engine mount to try and decrease engine roll, not sure if t is helping but they have recognised the fault i suppose.
:popcornsoda:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2010, 07:56:16 pm »
Just get full engine mounts - problem solved :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2010, 07:58:12 pm »
Just get full engine mounts - problem solved :wink:
:laugh: i would say the same  :evilgrin:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2010, 08:03:23 pm »
Do full engine mounts make the ride harsher and engine noise worse?

Carl :happy2:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2010, 08:05:34 pm »

just more noise but it a good noise  :laugh: some girls dont like it  :wink: :pomppomp:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2010, 08:07:48 pm »
How do you mean more noise. Is it just the acceleration noise or is it vibration etc.

How much roughly would a full set of mounts be for a Skoda vRS (Same engine as GTi)

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2010, 08:10:19 pm »
its more of a growl when booting it and i have full on race mounts so its abit more hard core  :laugh: as for price there a few choices about and i have vwr race ones

Offline owen lcr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
  • owen
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2010, 08:12:42 pm »
been looking at the BSH ones and they seem to be getting good review so might be next on the list if i can ever get hold of Dubtek  :grin:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2010, 08:19:49 pm »

just more noise but it a good noise  :laugh: some girls dont like it  :wink: :pomppomp:
:congrats: :congrats: :booty: :booty: :congrats: :congrats:

Just didn't like the added noise and vibration, it made me sick!  And not want to drive the car.

as ever ETTO, The added vibrations will have a detrimental effect in the long term, High feq vibes always do in the end..................