Make a donation

Author Topic: hologram help  (Read 1435 times)

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
hologram help
« on: July 09, 2011, 10:45:03 am »
My black golf was starting to look a bit shabby so with absoloutly no knowledge on detailing obviously i gave it a go  :sad1:
I bought meguiars ultimate compound, deep crystal polish and deep crystal wax, i knew my mate had a d/a polisher with a foam pad of somesort, so we cleaned the car and got to work. When finished the car looked great and stayed mint for about 10 days untill i noticed the paintwork had the hollogram effect. What have i done wrong and how can i fix this? im guessing the foam pad was probably too rough but i have no idea, any help would be great cheers

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: hologram help
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 02:13:06 pm »
Read some of the threads here. Look at Boothy's recent thread.

Did you wipe down the paintwork after polishing? Sounds like the fillers and oils masked the final appearance. Wipe down with isopropyl alcohol to remove any oils and residue.

Did you break down the polish properly?

As you've mentioned, going too aggressive can have consequences. You need to use a refining tech ique to get rid of the holograms.

Finally, if you don't know what you're doing, pay someone else to do it for you. In the meantime, practice, practice, practice. Get a scrap bonnet to practice on.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:31:14 pm »
no i didnt wipe down after polishing,
as far as i know i spent enough time on each panel so i would of thought so but im no pro so will watch some vids to see how long other people are taking.
I will take a look at boothys thread now, cheers

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 03:52:41 pm »
Had a word with someone who knows what hes doing and im going picking up a fine finishing pad now, he said the problem was i used a hard foam pad.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 04:46:03 pm »
That's what I meant by refining. If you use an aggressive pad and polish, you then have to step down (maybe once, maybe two steps) down to a finishing pad and a finishing polish.

There are some links in Boothy's thread that I posted, which is why I said to go have a look there.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.