Make a donation

Author Topic: Stoke's BF experience  (Read 16273 times)

Offline Shaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Stoke's BF experience
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 06:08:47 pm »
This is interesting. I posted a question recently regarding the Bluefin map on my Ed30 seeming to change after a few hundred miles. I too was looking for the overall 'tractability' and 'driveability' you refer too. Initially the new map was as you describe very much high-end 'oomph' when the turbo started spooling, but I was prepared to live with it for the overtaking power available and the generally improved smoothness. However, after a while the map seemed to change and became much more like the standard Ed30 map - just moreso!! (if that makes sense?).

I have since removed and then reinstalled the map and experienced exactly the same.

So, my advice is that the SC map is actually exactly what you want if you're seeking the same sort of driveability that makes the stock Ed30 so special, but you need to run it for about 500 miles or so before it apparently adapts itself and calms down.

Shaun
Keep The Faith
GTI Edition 30 No. 0687 - Candy White - 5 Door - Lux Pack 1 - Park Sensors - ITG Filter - Bluefin - ECD Insert - Cruise Control
Previously: Mk1 Golf - Mk1 Jetta - Mk1 Polo Coupe - Mk2 Jetta - Mk3 Golf - Mk4 Passat - Mk1 Polo - Bora - Audi A4 / A6 / A8 - Mk3 Polo - Mk4 Golf

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 08:51:38 pm »
^^^ I agree with Shaun about the map "settling down" after a few hundred miles, and like S08 I find mine smooth and progressive  :happy2:

It's good to hear they are developing additional driver support but with all the virtual machine software around it so easy these days to run another operating system on your machine which will support anything your host OS won't/can't. I use Vmware fusion on my Mac Book Pro to run Windows XP my road angel and blackberry apps  :smiley:

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 11:22:44 pm »
Sorry guys just getting around to posting.  I've got to be honest, I'm still not happy with my map.  Don't get me wrong it's still loaded into the car but I'm just not getting along with it fantastically.  As some of you know I bought my SC BF on 5th January and have had ... needless to say quite a few problems.  Intially it lit up the ECL and caused three fault DTC's relating to random multiple misfires, misfire cyl 2 and misfire cyl 3 over 6500rpm.  Hmmmm .... I expected possibly 3 as it has the longest inlet trace but couldn't understand why 2 was misfiring.  Anyway, superchips sent out a revised map that stopped.   I then got frustrated with the poor acceleration in 1st and 2nd which was and still is slower than standard, this can be proved by poor santa pod times (all jokes aside about poor launches !! my reaction times were .63 !) couldn't crack less than 15 sec (albeit with a coolbox, all detailing products, a duvet, 3 pillows and a boot full of food and drink !!).  I rang superchips and they sent the old 270bhp map out to me.  The map was amusing, but I then missed the shove over 3500rpm.  If I could combine the feel of the 270bhp map low down with the post 3500rpm shove of the full power map I'd be happy. So ... anyhow ... I switched back to the full power map and as another member has commented lived with it for the overtaking performance.  Then my clutch started to slip. They then produced a custom map but the clutch still slipped.  Took the car back to VW as reset to standard and they failed to find a slipping clutch - surprise surprise ! It won't slip as standard.  I left the car standard for a week and started to enjoy the standard map again, 1st and especially second gear.  After a while went back to superchips and asked for the full power map, and touch wood, the clutch hasn't slipped since.  However I am still frustrated with the performance in 1st and 2nd.  When I remapped I was under the impression that the way power was delivered would not change and that there would just be more "everywhere", unfortunately not the case so I remain unhappy.  The way the car delivers power is tremendous after 3500rpm in 3rd but by which time you are well into licence losing terratory.  Just not happy - need to phone SC again and see what they can do but feel the only resolution to the issue would be to attend at SC and get them to set the remap up "properly" on the rollers.  Just finding the time to do so :sad:

I must say though my ED30 has done 15k in 10 months of ownership and for the time being is my daily driver (until my Mk1 is ready hopefully by May) and still delivers 35+mpg on my daily 50 mile round trip commute, excellent for a car with that level of performance.

I don't want the post to read negatively towards Superchips as I have received excellent customer service from them.  I mean I have had outstanding levels of service for them and have even emailed their MD commending the service given by technical support.  I just need to get the matter sorted once and for all.  I was quite annoyed after Santa Pod - standard ED30's were doing better times ??? Just don't know what to do, obviously appreciate there are people out there with BF ED30's albeit stage 2 that were doing excellent times at the pod, both DSG's and manuals, to note my car is totally stock bar remap .... so ... dunno what to do.  I bought the ED30 as I was so impressed with the driveability and tractability of the power.  Just to note I recall the TC light flashing in 2nd in wet and dry as standard, I have not seen it illuminated since the remap (other than 4th gear dual carriageway in wet conditions)

?????

Just gonna have to go up there and get it sorted once and for all,

Regards,

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 06:36:21 am »
This is interesting. I posted a question recently regarding the Bluefin map on my Ed30 seeming to change after a few hundred miles. I too was looking for the overall 'tractability' and 'driveability' you refer too. Initially the new map was as you describe very much high-end 'oomph' when the turbo started spooling, but I was prepared to live with it for the overtaking power available and the generally improved smoothness. However, after a while the map seemed to change and became much more like the standard Ed30 map - just moreso!! (if that makes sense?).

I have since removed and then reinstalled the map and experienced exactly the same.

So, my advice is that the SC map is actually exactly what you want if you're seeking the same sort of driveability that makes the stock Ed30 so special, but you need to run it for about 500 miles or so before it apparently adapts itself and calms down.

Shaun

^^^ I agree with Shaun about the map "settling down" after a few hundred miles, and like S08 I find mine smooth and progressive  :happy2:

It's good to hear they are developing additional driver support but with all the virtual machine software around it so easy these days to run another operating system on your machine which will support anything your host OS won't/can't. I use Vmware fusion on my Mac Book Pro to run Windows XP my road angel and blackberry apps  :smiley:

I had the map on for about 500 miles, and if anything it was getting worse. 

Sorry guys just getting around to posting.  I've got to be honest, I'm still not happy with my map.  Don't get me wrong it's still loaded into the car but I'm just not getting along with it fantastically.  As some of you know I bought my SC BF on 5th January and have had ... needless to say quite a few problems.  Intially it lit up the ECL and caused three fault DTC's relating to random multiple misfires, misfire cyl 2 and misfire cyl 3 over 6500rpm.  Hmmmm .... I expected possibly 3 as it has the longest inlet trace but couldn't understand why 2 was misfiring.  Anyway, superchips sent out a revised map that stopped.   I then got frustrated with the poor acceleration in 1st and 2nd which was and still is slower than standard, this can be proved by poor santa pod times (all jokes aside about poor launches !! my reaction times were .63 !) couldn't crack less than 15 sec (albeit with a coolbox, all detailing products, a duvet, 3 pillows and a boot full of food and drink !!).  I rang superchips and they sent the old 270bhp map out to me.  The map was amusing, but I then missed the shove over 3500rpm.  If I could combine the feel of the 270bhp map low down with the post 3500rpm shove of the full power map I'd be happy. So ... anyhow ... I switched back to the full power map and as another member has commented lived with it for the overtaking performance.  Then my clutch started to slip. They then produced a custom map but the clutch still slipped.  Took the car back to VW as reset to standard and they failed to find a slipping clutch - surprise surprise ! It won't slip as standard.  I left the car standard for a week and started to enjoy the standard map again, 1st and especially second gear.  After a while went back to superchips and asked for the full power map, and touch wood, the clutch hasn't slipped since.  However I am still frustrated with the performance in 1st and 2nd.  When I remapped I was under the impression that the way power was delivered would not change and that there would just be more "everywhere", unfortunately not the case so I remain unhappy.  The way the car delivers power is tremendous after 3500rpm in 3rd but by which time you are well into licence losing terratory.  Just not happy - need to phone SC again and see what they can do but feel the only resolution to the issue would be to attend at SC and get them to set the remap up "properly" on the rollers.  Just finding the time to do so :sad:

I must say though my ED30 has done 15k in 10 months of ownership and for the time being is my daily driver (until my Mk1 is ready hopefully by May) and still delivers 35+mpg on my daily 50 mile round trip commute, excellent for a car with that level of performance.

I don't want the post to read negatively towards Superchips as I have received excellent customer service from them.  I mean I have had outstanding levels of service for them and have even emailed their MD commending the service given by technical support.  I just need to get the matter sorted once and for all.  I was quite annoyed after Santa Pod - standard ED30's were doing better times ??? Just don't know what to do, obviously appreciate there are people out there with BF ED30's albeit stage 2 that were doing excellent times at the pod, both DSG's and manuals, to note my car is totally stock bar remap .... so ... dunno what to do.  I bought the ED30 as I was so impressed with the driveability and tractability of the power.  Just to note I recall the TC light flashing in 2nd in wet and dry as standard, I have not seen it illuminated since the remap (other than 4th gear dual carriageway in wet conditions)

?????

Just gonna have to go up there and get it sorted once and for all,

Regards,

Gareth

I can feel your angst Gareth.  It sounds like I had the same map, a bit of a wet weekend in 1 and 2, and then post 3500 rpm in and above 3500 rpm in every other gear (4,5,6) all hell brokle loose.

I can see why youir clutch slipped, I had the exactly same thoughts when the power was in, so much so, I found myself backing off.

Perhaps with your experiences in mind, SC BF is not for me. 

Good luck in getting it sorted.  I am really starting to think, I may nor remap at all.  The Ed30 power is delivered in a fantastic way as standard, just could do with a little more.

:happy2: :happy2:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 06:37:34 am »

But why should you have to?  Vista 64 Bit has been about for over 3 years now.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 08:24:35 am »

yeh but theres only 4 people in the country with it  :signLOL: sorry

Its good to hear different points of view on Bluefin , im still liking mine and dont have any problems with the power delivery  8)

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 09:12:18 am »

yeh but theres only 4 people in the country with it  :signLOL: sorry

Its good to hear different points of view on Bluefin , im still liking mine and dont have any problems with the power delivery  8)

oh really!   :signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 10:38:07 pm »
^^^ While I agree it been out a long time and does have a larger installed base than 4 people  :laugh: it isn't a widely used OS and SC are just one of many thousands of companies who hardware devices aren't directly supported on it  :happy2:

It would certainly make my life easier if everything worked on every possible OS and hardware combination  :wink:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 10:57:23 pm »
Maybe I will stay standard.  Good read Illyun, I hope you get sorted.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3133.msg48237#msg48237
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:36:31 am by SteveP »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 12:16:02 am »

Exemplary attitude from you, illyun - Most people would be throwing their toys out of their pram instead of being realistic.

I have to say that if anyone can get to the bottom of the problem, Keith of JKM can.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 07:10:46 am »
good luck illyan, all this sounds pretty major and needs to be found out incase this effect most/all stage 2+ revo cars. Last thing you need is a major engine failure if left unchecked.

Fingers crossed for you mate :happy2:.
Youve got the best bloke on the job like Robin has said.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2009, 09:47:21 am »

Maybe I will stay standard.

....Probably a wise decision, at least until Ed30 issues are solved and settled.

In practice on UK roads, 230 neddies on the Golf gives a very good drive and the K04 is hardly irritatingly slow in the lower rev range!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 10:10:14 am »
Maybe I will stay standard.  Good read Illyun, I hope you get sorted.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3133.msg48237#msg48237

Were not all having problems Dave.  :wink:

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 04:39:38 pm »
Phoned up SC's today and again spoke to Michael - he's made me another custom map - and now WAW ! What a difference, acceleration is much much much better in the lower gears but this time not at a cost of top end performance - FANTASTIC !!! GOT THERE IN THE END. Traction control light now blinking away like a good 'un ! Noise is much much much different now too - don't know what they've done but it is a great deal better - gutted now not going to the pod on Sunday to give it another go !!

Regards to all,

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 04:45:25 pm »
nice one gareth  :happy2: good to hear.
out of interest hows your clutch ? Im in a perpetual state of will it / wont it fail these days... :surprised:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD