Make a donation

Author Topic: What's involved with fitting a Highline display and is it worth doing?  (Read 7727 times)

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Thanks to you both, I'm on the way to a Highline and Polar FIS+  :grin:

Lee, I've pm'd your friend to see if he can help. I reckon it'll be a big trip; I'm oop north in east Yorkshire.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:15:41 pm by LouCyffer »
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
Hey Cap Britain,
If you're open to getting one from the states, "paulkots@Eastcoast" on vwvortex has got an 06 GTI cluster with part #1K6 920 972E up for sale  :smiley:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4618198-Parting-Out-2009-GTI-2.0T-TSI-w-DSG&p=70258315&viewfull=1#post70258315

Thanks for this,  Do you know if this guy is legit and does the "E" on the end of the part number mean anything?

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
Thanks to you both, I'm on the way to a Highline and Polar FIS+  :grin:

Lee, I've pm'd your friend to see if he can help. I reckon it'll be a big trip; I'm oop north in east Yorkshire.

Its going to be long trip indeed hope eveything works fine for you.

Gtlee
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
I have the half height and was wondering if it's a major arse ache fitting the Highline display and what I get from doing it?

Cheers,

Mat

Cluster swap is straight forward, just make sure you find the correct variant for your car..

I love it when people come out with comments like this... Yes its easy if you know what your doing and have the right tools and software but apart from changing the cluster over its not HAS easy has that :sad1: The biggest thing is finding the right part number and getting the SKC off the original cluster if its over an 06 reg.

06-56 plate was the cut off for the security encryption change and part number from 972 to 973.

Still trying to find a colour screen cluster for mine :happy2:

Darren

Offline kalu

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email

I love it when people come out with comments like this... Yes its easy if you know what your doing and have the right tools and software but apart from changing the cluster over its not HAS easy has that :sad1: The biggest thing is finding the right part number and getting the SKC off the original cluster if its over an 06 reg.

06-56 plate was the cut off for the security encryption change and part number from 972 to 973.

Still trying to find a colour screen cluster for mine :happy2:

Darren

Sorry, Maybe I made it sound too easy!

SKC from 973/974 is possible if you have the right tools and understand how the cluster works. (Some patching is required)

As far as I'm aware colour screen is only available in MK6/Scirocco. These are very different to MK5 cluster, they use a different processor (NEC) and a different communication protocol (UDS).

I have one here from a Scirocco that I am in the process of testing in my MK5, but at the moment I'm not sure if it will communicate properly with the rest of the MK5 controllers.
Once I have made up an adaptor to allow me to plug it in I will report the results :wink:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
Kula I think you and me need to get together :love: only joking mate :notworthy: The only person I know to put the Scirocco colour screen in a mk5 is a guy over on VWNavi.com but it was a look what Ive done then nothing else no other details?

Darren

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Everything is easy when you know how  :signLOL:

I think Kalu might have some interesting skills with clusters from what I have heard  :wink:

Colour screen in MK5 would be epic, especially if it has the new features with the audio screen to scroll through track listings without having to look at and operate your NAV!  Although from what Eddie has said about MK6 MFSW I guess you would need that to operate.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Kalu,

Nice to see you at it again making the impossible possible!

Will be following with great interest. :congrats:
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
Am I right in thinking this is the same Kula off ukmkiv? I remember contacting Ray(aRd) over there and your name got mention both guys are cluster geniuses :happy2: Us guys who fit them and code them in have nothing on these 2 :notworthy:

Darren

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Yes its the same Kalu from ukmkiv and where I have migrated from too.

Clever chap alright!

Offline zoomered

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Have i picked this up wrong but does it mean its easier to upgrade from mid to high if your car is an 05 plate?

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Am I right in thinking this is the same Kula off ukmkiv? I remember contacting Ray(aRd) over there and your name got mention both guys are cluster geniuses :happy2: Us guys who fit them and code them in have nothing on these 2 :notworthy:

Darren

Good to know. This cluster wizard will hopefully work his magic on these lovely 974 clocks I have. And with a Polar FIS from Richn we'll be cooking on gas :happy2:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)