Make a donation

Author Topic: Last Shuttle Launch - Sky News now  (Read 2276 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Last Shuttle Launch - Sky News now
« on: July 08, 2011, 04:24:32 pm »
Due to go in about 5 mins, now being shown on Sky News.  :evilgrin:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Last Shuttle Launch - Sky News now
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:32:36 pm »
Fantastic to see it launch, sad to see it was the last one

How long is it going to be until they get another vehicle that doesn't have to be retrieved from the sea after a  controlled crash landing ?

WILLZIE

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:03:44 pm »
Can I ask if anyone knows why that it is the last one?

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:33:27 pm »
Quote:

Nasa itself hopes to invest in a new spaceship and rocket that can take humans beyond the space station to destinations such as the Moon, asteroids and Mars.

The conical ship, known as Orion, has already been defined and is in an advanced stage of development. The rocket, on the other hand, is still an unknown quantity.

The US Congress has told the agency what its minimum capabilities should be. However, the agency is currently struggling to put those specifications into a concept it says can be built to the timeline and budget specified by the politicians. It promises to detail the rocket's baseline design before the summer is out.

Critics have bemoaned the lack of speed in moving to new systems, a delay that means America must rely on Russian rockets to launch its astronauts for the foreseeable future.

Asked here why he thought Nasa did not have a ready-made replacement for the shuttle, Bill Nelson, a US Senator and leading figure in the space debate on Capitol Hill, said: "Because Nasa has been starved of funds these past six to eight years."

C/o BBC News
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

WILLZIE

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 07:43:15 pm »
Thank you.  :happy2:

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 07:46:10 pm »
Welcome mate :smiley:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 11:57:08 pm »
Can I ask if anyone knows why that it is the last one?

Because multiple generations of American politicians don't have any vision or foresight.

The Shuttle is a brilliant piece of equipment, but brilliantly flawed. Saturn V (the rocket which took men to the Moon) could loft 140tonnes into Low Earth Orbit, and 40-odd tonnes into Trans Lunar Injection (on the way to the Moon). TLI is important, because really, if you have the capability to achieve TLI, you can achieve trans-anywhere-injection (for instance, to Mars - TMI).

Saturn was hugely expensive to launch, and the Shuttle was proposed as an alternative that would significantly reduce the cost of getting into space. Unfortunately, the Shuttle programme has ended up costing about as much per launch as a Saturn V launch, and, because of the "reusable" factor, take a significant amount of effort to renew for each launch. But compared to the Saturn V's 140 tonnes into LEO, the Shuttle can only aloft 30 tonnes (still more than anything else available, mind you). Furthermore, the Shuttle cannot leave LEO, so as an exploration device doesn't take us anywhere too far (the Shuttle only operated at max 600km altitude; for reference, the Moon is 300,000km away.).

If the Shuttle programme had not commenced, and Saturn continued to be used, at the same funding that the Shuttle enjoyed there could have been 6x Saturn flights a year, at least two of them being manned trips to the Moon.

There's a whole host of other reasons why the Shuttle needs to be replaced. Unlike Saturn/Apollo, there are practically no survivable failure modes during ascent and re-entry. It's a tremendously complicated machine, requiring major refurbishment after each launch. The Solid Rocket Boosters cannot be controlled once they are ignited, which is inherently unsafe. The Thermal Protection System is notoriously fragile. I could go on.

What is absolutely crazy, though, is cancelling the Shuttle programme where there is no replacement in place. This goes back to my first comment. US presidents and administrations from George H. W. Bush down to Obama have been hacking away at NASA's budget. Constellation - George W. Bush's initiative - was a badly thought out programme, but at least it was a programme. Now there is a vague desire to develop some sort of new heavy lift capability that will, at least, rival the Shuttle if not Saturn, and an equally vague desire to have commercial manned spaceflight to LEO. All the while NASA's budget is still being reduced - from US$19bn to US$17bn next year.

US$17bn is a lot of money, I hear you say? Well, for context, the US Army alone spends around US$21bn on airconditioning. Yes. If you look at the Department of Defense budget (with ancillaries) you're looking at between US$800bn and US$1tn. With a ROI of somewhere around 8:1, investing in spaceflight is both cheap and profitable - but I guess invasions are better. Never mind all the things the US space programme has given us - anyone using this forum, it has literally changed our life in every way (from integrated circuits to GPS and communications satellites to modern ceramic materials to more fuzzy subjects like risk and capability management...)

Sorry for the rant, but this is a subject I'm very passionate about. While I watched Atlantis lift today I found it incredibly hard to accept that this was the last time anyone on Earth would see this awesome sight.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 08:15:52 am »
 :congrats: bravo cmdrfire, bravo. Couldn't have said it better.

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 12:27:25 pm »
I missed it  :sad1:

Is there anywhere I can watch it?
Bye Bye VW Candy White Golf GTi  :'-(  (sadly missed!)
Bye Bye Ford Fiesta TDCi Zetec! (piece of s**t!) lol
Hello Honda Accord GT Tourer! schaweet!

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 12:58:16 pm »

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 01:02:50 pm »
Bye Bye VW Candy White Golf GTi  :'-(  (sadly missed!)
Bye Bye Ford Fiesta TDCi Zetec! (piece of s**t!) lol
Hello Honda Accord GT Tourer! schaweet!

Offline sam

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Calibre Connections LLP
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 01:36:15 pm »
Watched this live on the Nasa website in the office yesterday :signLOL:

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 02:03:45 pm »
I'm in Orlando now and was going to go out to see it but all indications were she would be a no fly! The weather has been awful and the channels were stating a 70 % of rain and lightning!  Also it would have meant a 0400 start so all up the decision was made to not drag the whole and very tired family out of bed.....

Wish I now followed my gut feel... :sick:

:notworthy: to NASA and all their efforts over the years.

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 11:09:58 pm »
I'm in Orlando now and was going to go out to see it but all indications were she would be a no fly! The weather has been awful and the channels were stating a 70 % of rain and lightning!  Also it would have meant a 0400 start so all up the decision was made to not drag the whole and very tired family out of bed.....

Wish I now followed my gut feel... :sick:

:notworthy: to NASA and all their efforts over the years.

I was up at around 0500 for Discovery's launch, which was at 1330 local time... but it was nice and empty at Kennedy, we were some of the first to arrive so we had a nice quiet tour before the crowds arrived.
You should still have been able to see it from Orlando, I understand.