Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil when removing HPFP  (Read 2999 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Oil when removing HPFP
« on: July 16, 2011, 11:37:12 am »

Is this something to be concerned about?

Obviously smells of fuel and very thin consistency  / viscosity but dont remember finding it last time I did my cam follower  :confused:

Oil consumption seems to be fairly high, cant quote measured figures but I assumed it was down to BSH catch can...

Thanks in advance

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
Re: Oil when removing HPFP
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:30:08 pm »
The oil smells of fuel??????, that isn't good pal, most likely, fuel pump seal issues :scared:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 12:32:30 pm »
The oil smells of fuel??????, that isn't good pal, most likely, fuel pump seal issues :scared:

Hard to say as removing the HPFP obviously smelt of fuel.

Do you mean the o ring on the fuel pump seen in the pic?

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 12:48:16 pm »
No expert Mike but as that lobe rubs on the CAM then it will be oil lubricated so a good chance of oil there, im not sure you should be able to smell fuel unless the bleeding of the pressure caused some to spill. Would be worthwhile getting your dipstick out and seeing if you can smell fuel there too. as round the fuel pump probably isnt the best place  :grin:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:52:31 pm »
No expert Mike but as that lobe rubs on the CAM then it will be oil lubricated so a good chance of oil there, im not sure you should be able to smell fuel unless the bleeding of the pressure caused some to spill. Would be worthwhile getting your dipstick out and seeing if you can smell fuel there too. as round the fuel pump probably isnt the best place  :grin:

Exactly.  Being that I drained the FP I was bound to smell fuel.  Just not sure if its meant to come that far into the 'housing'

Off to smell my oil cap &  dip stick  :happy2:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 03:06:31 pm »
The oil being there is no problem, in facts its good. If the oil smells of fuel thats a different matter, that means the internal seal in the pump is letting fuel past and its getting into the oil. The seal you can see Mike, is just the oil seal which stops the oil you can see leaking out. Hope that makes sense and helps :smiley:

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 08:50:56 pm »
I've been led to beleive that a slight smell of fuel in the oil is normal, but the difference between normal and a problem would be hard to tell.

I beleive however if your fuel pump seal fails, then the first point of contact is going to be the Cam Follower.  If the oil is being diluted in this area then your Follower will show signs of increased wear.

I know this one could be difficult, but a good sniff around the Fuel Pump Piston whilst its out may tell of any problems too.

Also heard conflicting views regarding the sump filling up with oil.

1) Due to being diluted it will burn off oil easier and faster

2) Oil level will rise due to sump filling with Fuel.