Make a donation

Author Topic: Detailling day #1  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Detailling day #1
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:00:53 pm »
Having recently bought a DAS 6 Pro with the Menzerna and Sonus kit I have slowly and steadily been learning how to use the thing and doing a panel at a time when time has allowed.
 Initially I did struggle to get to grips with using the machine and wasn't achieving the results that I was expecting or wanted but after spending a good amount of time watching videos on DW and Youtube I eventually settled into a routing that was working for me.
 I haven't achieved 100% correction but I have got rid of the vast amount of swirling, of which there was a lot, and have ended up with what I think is a nice finish to the car overall.

Before anyone picks up on it I have not done anything other than the paintwork on the photos. The trim, tires etc will be getting done tomorrow if the weather holds out but the machine polishing etc is what its about today  :happy2:. I don't have a good light source or any 50/50 picture either I'm afraid but hey ho.

Some pictures of the swirling:

Boot.

Roof.

Bonnet.

On most of the panels I used a Sonus SFX-2 white pad with Menz PF2500 (PO 203 S) followed by a Sonus SFX-3 polishing pad and Menz FF3000 (PO 85 U) to refine the finish a little however on the roof and bonnet I ended up using the SFX-2 with the Menz FG500 first.

Some pictures after machining:

Bonnet.

Roof.

Once I'd finished the polishing everything was wiped down with IPA and then the full car washed with some Stardrops APC to remove any wax and residue left over.
After that I applied two coats of Prima Amigo glaze via DA which has been impressive. The boot lid has still to be machined but if you look at the photo below after just the Prima Amigo you can see that compared to the first picture it has dramatically reduced the swirling.

After the Prima Amigo had been applied I then gave it a coat of Vics Concours Red followed by another about an hour later.

The finished result:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Detailling day #1
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:03:54 pm »

Did I mention Im in Doncaster next week and bringing a crate of our local German beer?  :innocent:

Great work mate

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:19:54 pm »

Did I mention Im in Doncaster next week and bringing a crate of our local German beer?  :innocent:

Great work mate

Lol, I'll bring the equipment and watch you work whilst you watch me drink your beer!  :laugh:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 07:21:22 pm »

Damn, that backfired  :sad1:
 :signLOL:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:47:41 pm »

Did I say good work?  I meant, could be better.  If you need a car to practice on Ill be in Doncaster next week...  :P

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:09:54 pm »
Very nice.   :congrats:

Have you posted about your alloys before?  They're v smart - details, please!

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 08:18:38 pm »
Very nice.   :congrats:

Have you posted about your alloys before?  They're v smart - details, please!

Page two mate and cheers.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4733.msg210536.html#msg210536

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 08:45:49 pm »
Great job Boothy :congrats:

Was following your earlier thread about the DA machine, i'm having the same difficulties as you seem to have now put to bed.

Gives me inspiration to push on and keep at it :drinking:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 08:46:05 pm »
Only viewing on piephone but that's a great improvement. 203S is a great polish and IMO it's worth hitting the paintwork with 203S multiple times rather than going crazy and using the really aggressive stuff like FG500.

What made you choose Prima Amigo? I would like to have seenthe effects after red moose machine glaze.
Vic concours is a wax I'd love to try but recently bought some P21S/R222.

So when are you going to wetsand the car?  :grin:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 10:34:51 pm »
Only viewing on piephone but that's a great improvement. 203S is a great polish and IMO it's worth hitting the paintwork with 203S multiple times rather than going crazy and using the really aggressive stuff like FG500.

What made you choose Prima Amigo? I would like to have seenthe effects after red moose machine glaze.
Vic concours is a wax I'd love to try but recently bought some P21S/R222.

So when are you going to wetsand the car?  :grin:

After initially not being very successful at removing the defects I began thinking about other methods to try and reduce them which is where filling them came into it. I had already tried using SRP to fill them but didn't get much success really and then I remembered reading something about the Prima Amigo on DW. Looking further into it it didn't appear to have a bad word written about it so thought sod it and popped into the Cleanyourcar warehouse and picked up a bottle.
 I have heard the Red Moose mentioned quite a bit but the Prima appealed more to me really after reading the reports etc. Sounded like the thing I was looking for I suppose.
 Its brilliant stuff and it smells phenomenal! I could almost put it in my coffee  :rolleye:!

The Vics is spot on too although after machining I seem to have had some real issues with removing it properly as it was leaving holgrammes galore. I just couldn't seem to get it on thinly enough and even by hand i seem to be struggling to remove it for some reason? Looked at purchasing the R222 a while back as its reasonably priced but the P21S is a bit rich in the current financial climate  :laugh:.
 And to be honest, I keep going back to my Colinite 845 time and time again. If the preps right then the Coli is fine and its water characteristics and longevity blow me away everytime.

Wet sanding just sounds too harsh to even contemplate but learning it would be good for removing the various RDS still doted about the car.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 10:46:10 pm »
R222 is the new version of P21S, except with longer durability. The old stuf was known for lasting a few weeks at most and certainly I found was wearing off after 2 weeks. The R222 has lasted about three weeks and still going. Very soft, almost like vaseline!

With the wax, did you mist it with some quick detailer? Did you apply in panels and buff off fairly soon? I've never left a wax longer than five minutes or it becomes a pig to remove.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 10:52:50 pm »
When I google'd the P21S it retailed at £70  :rolleye:

Didn't mist the pad first, no. Buffed fairly quickly as the Vics says to buff off before it dries but it does take some time to go to a haze I thought. This time around I left it it about ten minutes and had much better results.,