Make a donation

Author Topic: Looking to get ready for winter!  (Read 3052 times)

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: Looking to get ready for winter!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 06:51:38 pm »
Just a note for anyone looking at part worns on ebay or the like; you'll notice a lot of the part worns for sale have about 4mm left - which is fine and legal but snow tyres are much less effective below 4mm hence why most people get rid at about that level.  Might not be the bargain they seem ...
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 07:07:44 pm »
Just a note for anyone looking at part worns on ebay or the like; you'll notice a lot of the part worns for sale have about 4mm left - which is fine and legal but snow tyres are much less effective below 4mm hence why most people get rid at about that level.  Might not be the bargain they seem ...

Thanks given

Offline AnilS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 09:34:14 am »

I take your point. As stated, mine were 5mm. Heres the dilemma. Would you rather be on new (8mm) summer tyres, in the winter conditions or 5mm part worns winters? Its not all about thread depth but winter tyre composition is an important factor. They just work better from the off.

I'll take the later thanks. I've already experienced being on 7mm summer tyres a few winters ago, only to wheelspin their life away, down to 5mm, in a matter of weeks.

There are choices out there. I'm just making the right one for me :happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 11:37:58 am »
Also come the winter snow tyres will go up in price like last year by 40%

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 03:26:20 pm »

I take your point. As stated, mine were 5mm. Heres the dilemma. Would you rather be on new (8mm) summer tyres, in the winter conditions or 5mm part worns winters? Its not all about thread depth but winter tyre composition is an important factor. They just work better from the off.

I'll take the later thanks. I've already experienced being on 7mm summer tyres a few winters ago, only to wheelspin their life away, down to 5mm, in a matter of weeks.

There are choices out there. I'm just making the right one for me :happy2:

Of course its your choice and I do believe that its still better.

Its just food for thought for others.  In many parts of europe the legal limit for snow tyres is 3 or 4mm (I suspect they send them all here to be sold on ebay at that point ...).
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline AnilS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 06:21:21 pm »
They do indeed send them over here. Spot on correct as their legal limit IS 4mm whereas ours is a very bad 1.6mm. It is also a legal requirement in some parts of Europe that you have to switch to Winters. They should apply that here too. :confused:

The place I got these part worns are graded for tread.

Grade 1 = 5mm or better
Grade 2 = 4 mm

5mm is plenty for a couple of winters. On the BM, my winter alloys/tyres go on in October and come off in March. This does two things for me. Firstly, comforted that, if driven sensibily, my car would get traction and give me the edge in stopping distance, and secondly, I'm not ruining a valuable set of 18s, be they salt attacked or bashed against kerbs.

Our GTi is on Sessantas and they didn't cope that well in the winter conditions, hence my initial question. Failing that, I could get all season tyres (Quadtracs) when the Sessantas need replacing, but that won't be at least another year.

Regards.