Make a donation

Author Topic: Easy entry seat won't work  (Read 6794 times)

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
Easy entry seat won't work
« on: March 22, 2009, 06:16:56 am »
The drivers seat on my 3 door has stopped being able to slide forwards. Lifting the handle tilts the back of the seat forward but the release mechanism under the seat does not move.  Now before there's posts saying a) that's why I got a 3 door and 2) it's a knack, I'm not changing cars for a 70p part and I know perfectly well how to operate them.

It's like the brake cable mech where it attaches inside the seat is dislodged but I can't see any way of getting at it. Or, is there indeed a 70p part that's needing replaced in all that cably, springy, leavery area under the seat ?

I don't really want to pay an hours labour to fix something so rarely used, any advice or hints and tips how to fix?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:19:46 am by no golf clubs at all »

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
Re: Easy entry seat won't work
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 05:41:52 pm »
This happened to my passenger seat a couple of years ago. Get it sorted under warranty, it was a cable thingy that had lost tension or something. Got it done whilst the car was in for a service.

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 06:33:59 am »
Not in warranty anymore my car is a September 2005, my06. :-( anyone had this and got it sorted via warranty if so did you find out what the stealer did to fix?

Offline bennylenny88

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • needs moar lowwww
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:22:40 am »
i have this issue too.. I was going to take the cover off and see whats up with it soon..

2 x cerwin vega 15" subs and MTX 1000D amp with box and complete wiring for sale.. PM for details

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:42:25 pm »
Take the cover off the seat? I have leather....can't see it being anything other than destructive.  :scared:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 02:24:13 pm »
Take the cover off the seat? I have leather....can't see it being anything other than destructive.  :scared:

As a note, we are talking about Benny here so I doubt that really came into it.
Benny, what happened with your Golf out of interest?

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 03:06:54 pm »
you would have to be very brave, or stupid, or skilled in that area to take off a seat cover!

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 09:10:32 pm »
i noticed when i looked under my seat theres an adjuster on the cables, a little similar to whats on a bicycle brake/gear cable.  at a guess id say they just need adjusting as the cables will have stretched over time hth
Still Here!

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 09:25:52 am »
Ok fault found. I had a spare ten minutes. There's a little black plastic piece which retains the cable. This is located at the bottom corner of the actal seat where it pivots back and forward. This clip is broken and doesn't allow the cable to anchor to the seat thereby not operating the mechanics underneath to allow fore and aft movement. Fiddly to change, waiting on price from VW "my system is down sir I'll call you back" ;-)

Ok can't upload pics here from iPhone will try later if anyone asks for them, but will update the price and part number to save anyone else the search. 

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 09:32:42 am »
Ok fault found. I had a spare ten minutes. There's a little black plastic piece which retains the cable. This is located at the bottom corner of the actal seat where it pivots back and forward. This clip is broken and doesn't allow the cable to anchor to the seat thereby not operating the mechanics underneath to allow fore and aft movement. Fiddly to change, waiting on price from VW "my system is down sir I'll call you back" ;-)

Ok can't upload pics here from iPhone will try later if anyone asks for them, but will update the price and part number to save anyone else the search. 

Glad to hear its all sorted  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 10:27:01 am »
 :driver: I'm on my way to try and get the part...hopefully it will just click into place and a small tuning in adjustment to make it all back to original...think I might get one for the other side whilst I am there, just in case it goes in the future.

Offline bennylenny88

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • needs moar lowwww
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 04:59:37 pm »

i ment the plastic bit.. im not that destructive.

and its a long story about my car but it could be gone this week

2 x cerwin vega 15" subs and MTX 1000D amp with box and complete wiring for sale.. PM for details

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 10:16:57 am »
Jeez its a nightmare trying to fit this part!   :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Already cut two fingers and have scratches on the back of one hand  :angry015:

There must be a knack to it..No more time today to do it, think its a weekend job.

Offline bennylenny88

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • needs moar lowwww
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 11:13:33 am »
no pics yet mate?

matt a

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 11:20:41 am »
Maybe take the seat out to do it?