Make a donation

Author Topic: Battery drainage issue?  (Read 6298 times)

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
Re: Battery drainage issue?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 10:36:56 pm »
Ohwell, thought someone on here might have had the same issue, must just be my car  :signLOL:
VW garage here I come.

Kinda looking forward to when it goes to a new home now :happy2:

its a shame you are so far away, I like a challenge.

Start by taking fuses out of non essential items to see if you are still having drain issues
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 12:03:56 pm »

Start by taking fuses out of non essential items to see if you are still having drain issues

This certainly would be a challenge  :rolleye:

I'm just going to leave it tbh as I use the car daily anyways, so car never has a chance to die  :signLOL:

I might get it looked into at a later date.
Bye Bye VW Candy White Golf GTi  :'-(  (sadly missed!)
Bye Bye Ford Fiesta TDCi Zetec! (piece of s**t!) lol
Hello Honda Accord GT Tourer! schaweet!

Offline MadDogMare

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 08:30:18 pm »
What I would do is disable as many items as possible, try to pin down where your issue is.
Also get someone with vag-com to check to see that the modules are shutting down

Hey

Ive got a similar battery draining issue with my 05 GT TDi. Original I thought it was just the battery, so got a new one... but turned out I had a faulty switch in the brake pedal that caused the one brake light to come on at night(...?) (strip light on the spoiler above the rear window)... so, got that fixed. Couple of months later , guess what, battery totally drained again... had RAC test the alternator this time too and all is fine. After reading a couple of the threads on here I came to the conclusion that it might be the Can Gateway issue and you sound like the man to talk to. Any advice? And how do I get in touch if I was to purchase one from you?

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »

This certainly would be a challenge  :rolleye:

I'm just going to leave it tbh as I use the car daily anyways, so car never has a chance to die  :signLOL:

I might get it looked into at a later date.

You or your mechanic need to put a multimeter with at least a 10 amp capacity on the battery earth terminal and then onto the battery (battery disconnected) so all the cars power goes through the multimeter, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE CAR LIKE THIS! Then you observe the drain with the drivers door lock flicked over to simulate the door being locked. Then remove each fuse from the under bonnet fuse box and then the dash side fuse box one at a time until the excessive drain goes away. Make a note of the fuse number and post it on here so Someone can help.

The quiescent current should drop to around 0.060amps after 25 minutes before that time it could typically be around 1 amp max for very short time then variable - the reading after the 20 minutes is the important one as thats the one which shows the car has moved into a state of sleep.

If the sleep state is achieved the battery or charging circuits are the issue!