Make a donation

Author Topic: Lean Fuel Issues after 4k rpm on Revo Stage 2+ Ed30  (Read 88785 times)

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Lean Fuel Issues after 4k rpm on Revo Stage 2+ Ed30
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2009, 12:32:36 am »
Guys,

I’ve just seen this and need to correct a few things quickly.
We don’t think that the actual engine block itself is defective as there is nothing to suggest this, some confusion here as I merely said that as we have basically tried many routes without any success, an engine leak down test is going to be performed as the next step to see if anything appears abnormal in the combustion chamber. Until the results of the leak down test are taken, analyzed and if need be compared with other engines there is no need or suggestion to need to remove the cylinder head....

I have not been able to get onto the car recently, as we have some members of staff away in our office, so I am assisting with some office duties until they return….

I can appreciate that there is a lot of interest in this cars fault, This is certainly the highest profile fault that I have worked on. We have spent many hours in and out of the workshop (a scary amount to be honest) looking into this fault and trying to comprehend a series of events that could cause this issue to occur.
I have consulted with Tuning and Software companies from both the UK and USA. A certain high profile USA company whom I cannot name, has seen a similar fault but never truly got to the bottom of the issue and this was with a large development team at their disposal. Their solution was far from ideal.

I certainly feel that we now have arguably the biggest correlation of data for ED30 / K04 spec engines in stage 1 and 2 level of tune. Data logging, Dyno Runs and Oscilloscope waveform patterns of various ECU channels, signals, Actuators and sensors etc – all areas are looking correct though which is the headache! Obviously apart from the AFR lean running issue.

I will be trying to write another report shortly for my customer, to explain things in more detail as it is very time consuming to do so for each and every step / test…..

Regards

JKM

The part in bold worries me  :signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2009, 12:42:57 am »
Guys,

I’ve just seen this and need to correct a few things quickly.
We don’t think that the actual engine block itself is defective as there is nothing to suggest this, some confusion here as I merely said that as we have basically tried many routes without any success, an engine leak down test is going to be performed as the next step to see if anything appears abnormal in the combustion chamber. Until the results of the leak down test are taken, analyzed and if need be compared with other engines there is no need or suggestion to need to remove the cylinder head....

Sorry, thats right.  Its me being pessimistic and thinking the worst.  I was looking at the problem from my limited knowledge.

I can appreciate that there is a lot of interest in this cars fault, This is certainly the highest profile fault that I have worked on. 

Keith you're a celebrity now  :laugh:  You'ill have autograph hunters after you at Shows..  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

I certainly feel that we now have arguably the biggest correlation of data for ED30 / K04 spec engines in stage 1 and 2 level of tune. Data logging, Dyno Runs and Oscilloscope waveform patterns of various ECU channels, signals, Actuators and sensors etc – all areas are looking correct though which is the headache! Obviously apart from the AFR lean running issue.

Thats whats so frustrating, worrying and baffling all at the same time... I'm almost wishing that the engine leak test shows up something - anything - that might solve the issue even though it might be a nasty fault  :scared:

I will be trying to write another report shortly for my customer, to explain things in more detail as it is very time consuming to do so for each and every step / test…..

Thanks Keith...  you've been very thorough and professional.  :happy2:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2009, 12:47:04 am »
There best next stage would be to remove the cylinder head and check the piston crowns for detonation.Sounds like a melt down on the engine mechanicals.How did your stage 2 + Remap? all gone wrong since that point ?
Sad news nadeem. Hope its not as serious as it sounds.

Good luck.

No, this fault appeared a day before the Stage 2+ remap.. maybe in anticipation  :grin: :grin:  I'm getting to the stage where I don't care what the problem is - I just want to know what it is so it can be fixed! 

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2009, 12:43:11 pm »
It's is getting more like war and peace every time I look at your thread Illyun :laugh:

I can't believe that this hasn't been rectified yet. I do understand certain diagnostics need to be carried out in a certain order (certainly no disrespect to JKM who are doing a stirling job :happy2:), however it must be getting to the stage where it would be cheaper to swap a new engine in :confused:

I too noticed the comment "We have spent many hours in and out of the workshop (a scary amount to be honest)" and if you are paying by the hour it would be getting to the point where I'd be asking about labour costs.

I really really hope you bottom this fault out ....if only for the sake of your own sanity :rolleye:

Golf R gone.

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2009, 12:58:57 pm »
God. I hope i dont have a similar issue. Boost issues an all that

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2009, 11:09:49 pm »
Hi Nadeem, :smiley:

Any updates?
Golf R gone.

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2009, 12:53:49 am »
I haven't rang JKM this week... but I reckon no news is bad news in my case  :rolleye:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2009, 11:43:01 pm »
I was over there this week and the car is still there and looking very nice.  :happy2:

I'm sure Jim and Keith will have it sorted soon, they appear to have put a hell of a lot of effort in so far.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline bytewize

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2009, 09:39:05 am »
I haven't rang JKM this week... but I reckon no news is bad news in my case  :rolleye:

man this thread is unbeliveable, hope u get that sh*t sorted.. is she still under warranty? all the best dude! :happy2:
* MKV GTI Pirelli MY09 / Graphite Blue / DSG / Xenons / Park Sensors / RNS510 SN / Revo Stage1 / Carbonio CAI *

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2009, 11:42:13 am »
I haven't rang JKM this week... but I reckon no news is bad news in my case  :rolleye:

man this thread is unbeliveable, hope u get that sh*t sorted.. is she still under warranty? all the best dude! :happy2:

VW Main Dealer Warranty doesn't mean much when you've boosted the power to around 350bhp  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:  I accepted that when I embarked down the slippery slope  :wink:  Don't let that put you off modding though as this is a rare case and its my luck that I get stuff like this happening to me  :rolleye:

But JKM have been sterling in their efforts and I don't doubt that they will get to the bottom of this at some point.   :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:31:55 am by illyun »

Offline bytewize

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: May 27, 2009, 07:49:06 am »
I haven't rang JKM this week... but I reckon no news is bad news in my case  :rolleye:

VW Main Dealer Warranty doesn't mean much when you've boosted the power to around 350bhp  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:  I accepted that when I embarked down the slippery slope  :wink:  Don't let that put you off modding though as this is a rare case and its my luck that I get stuff like this happening to me  :rolleye:

But JKM have been sterling in their efforts and I don't doubt that they will get to the bottom of this at some point.   :happy2:

I was meaning that if it turns out to be very pricy to fix this issue (bottom end related or whatever) couldnt you put it all back to stock and take her in?
* MKV GTI Pirelli MY09 / Graphite Blue / DSG / Xenons / Park Sensors / RNS510 SN / Revo Stage1 / Carbonio CAI *

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2009, 08:14:34 am »
They would be able to tell from the ecu, that she's been mapped,and there goes the warranty unfortunatly.

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2009, 10:11:14 am »

I was meaning that if it turns out to be very pricy to fix this issue (bottom end related or whatever) couldnt you put it all back to stock and take her in?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I like your suggestion... my local dealer knows me and my cars very well.  They know what I have done to it and while I have a good relationship with them and while they might even agree to do a repair if the buck stopped with them it wouldn't happen.  Thats because I am sure that VW would want to see the affected parts or whatever especially if it was an unusual or rare fault - simply for their R&D - and the local dealer would certainly have their claim for payment rejected when VW found out that the car was running power way beyond stock.  Plus I would not want to come across as dishonest with my local dealer as it might affect their judgement in matters in the future.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2009, 10:27:50 am »
Have you thought of asking VW to get involved, purely as a research excersise?

Send them all the data, along with a full report and see if they can offer any ideas - you'd be surprised how keen they can be to solve a quirky one, just out of curiosity alone. I know Bentley have pulled in 10 year old cars before now when something unheard of has gone pear shaped, engineers can't help themselves.

Good luck.
Sideways yo!

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #179 on: May 27, 2009, 12:01:10 pm »
Thats a good idea Tony as I am a network engineer and I know there are people who I work with who are sad like that  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:  Only problem is contacting the right person/department.  I suspect any request probably would not get past the bureacracy although its worth a try  :happy2:  Maybe the best thing to do would be to contact my local dealer in the first instance and ask them how to go about it  :wink: