Make a donation

Author Topic: Haggling?  (Read 1023 times)

Offline M7AXB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 10
Haggling?
« on: July 19, 2011, 12:24:46 am »
Hi folks!

Looking for a wee bit of advice on a car I'm looking at.

It's the perfect spec but, the price is a bit on the high side of my budget :sad1:

What's your haggling tips as I'm rubbish at it?

How much do you reckon I could knock off without being cheeky?

Here's the ad http://autotrader.mobi/used-cars/advert/201128402164381/viewing-19?PHPSESSID=87p04m9vpmtkgjfkm8jq09nf85

Cheers

Max

Nasir

Re: Haggling?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 12:54:52 am »
To be honest, I wouldn't expect a lot off. If the seller goes a lot lower there's probably something wrong about the car. I'm always honest over the phone, "I've seen your car, I was looking to pay X amount of money". They'll either say no it's too low or OK come and have a look, this way we both know where we stand and not wasting each others time.

Offline M7AXB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 02:45:36 am »
To be honest, I wouldn't expect a lot off. If the seller goes a lot lower there's probably something wrong about the car. I'm always honest over the phone, "I've seen your car, I was looking to pay X amount of money". They'll either say no it's too low or OK come and have a look, this way we both know where we stand and not wasting each others time.

Thanks for the help mate! I see where your coming from but, I've been told that they are not selling very well and from current observations there have been a good few s3's that have been for sale for a couple of months! It's supposedly a buyers market at the moment IMO, I'm not sure where to start on the haggling. I got a valuation of it at 25k miles, private ,good £15108. I don't know whether or not to just phone and offer £14700 cash and hope he will settle for a quick sale! I can't believe how well these hold there value though! Might have to settle for one with higher milage.

Cheers

Offline Smudgster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 06:25:58 am »
i would just ring and have a chat. Be honest and just say what you have to spend and that if hes interested then you would go see the car. If not leave your number and wish him luck!!

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 08:11:03 am »
If thats your budget then offer it and explain thats all you got!

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 09:08:29 am »
I print out other adverts from Autotrader and explain why I think the car is over-priced - more miles, less spec, etc.  If you can't explain it, then the price compares well with that's on the market, and the seller's probably pitched it right.  Your only hope then is that it doesn't sell for a week or three, and then you can go back with a cheeky cash bid.  You never know, he might need the money.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 11:18:05 am »
Im in the same situation at present with both selling my present car and looking at a new one. People are contacting me asking what is the lowest you will go. I've basically said, its been reduced and im open to discuss all genuine offers, as there is always room to do a deal, got my mk4 anniversary pd up for £6,795 now, still getting day dreamers and time wasters.  :signLOL:

Only thing i could say is be honest and upfront with the seller, you like the look of the car, this is your budget.... see what they say, they will appreciate you being honest and upfront, rather than waste there time.

Try and look for things to bargain with, service, tax, MOT, cambelt etc.. all can be used to negotiate. The car im looking at 07 edition 30 dsg, is due s service & cambelt, so have prices from VW to be used to haggle, either the garage will get them done or i factor it in to the price.

Good Luck
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391